PDA

View Full Version : 94 530i Touring very rough idle

stratocaster
04-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi,

I have a 94 530i Touring. I just started having problems with a very rough idle from a cold start. When I start the car in the morning the car idle very rough and some times blows a significant amount of white smoke. The idle comes and goes from rough to normal through out the drive. But even if the car is warmed up it still idles rough at traffic lights.

I recently had a problem with my 3 series where the car would start but would stall right away. If gas was applied the car would continue to run until I took my foot off the gas. A few people on the forums mentioned that it was my ICV (idle control valve). I tested and wound replacing it and solved the problem.

I was wonder if my 5 series problem is similar. I haven't tested the ICV yet as I'm not exactly sure where it is. I realize if the ICV is going bad it can cause a rough idle but would it cause the smoke as well?

thanks for any suggestions,

Stratocaster.

NickP
04-30-2005, 09:51 PM
Hopefully its not because of this:

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/v8shortblock.htm

WdpIan
04-30-2005, 09:58 PM
I had a problem with really rough idle and weird noises...no smoke though...

My problem was a broken Fan... 5 or 6 Blades broke off, and im lucky they didnt hit the radiator.

It threw my engine so off balance that the Car would shake and rattle when you start it, stop at a light, drive up a hill, etc etc.

Bruno
05-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Try to check the engine codes... But I hope that you don't have a nikasil engine. Rough idle is one of the problem of the nikasil engines.

Also check your transmission and engine mounts, they tend to fail on the V8 engines.