PDA

View Full Version : How important are Tire Diameters Front Vs. Rear?

migs
04-28-2005, 08:51 PM
Hi everyone. I need some input please. I'm looking to buy a new set of tires for my MCoupe to replace the original Dunlop 8000's, and I've been doing some research on sites like Tirerack.com regarding brands and models that fit my stock rims. I've been having a hard time finding a set of DOT R-Compounds that match stock sizes. I would like to get a set of Yoko A032R's or Toyo RA-1's. How important are diiferences in tire diameters between front and rear tires? I know that there is already a slight different with my stock Dunlops, but it's only a difference of 0.3 inches (25 inches for the 225/45ZZR 17 Fronts Vs. 24.7 inches for the 245/40ZR 17 Rear). So my questions are: is there a limit for this difference, and what R-Compunds can you get that have the least difference between front and rear sizes? Thanks! Phew - what a mouth full!

T.Dot_E30
04-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Try to keep it within 3% is the general rule of thumb.

thinair
04-28-2005, 11:53 PM
If the difference front front to rear it will trip an ABS and/or ASC fault and you're ABS and/or ASC light will come one, and either or both of those functions will fail to work.

The winter tires I have for my e34 has two different sizes from front to rear, at 90km/h the ABS light comes on, and until I shut the car off, the ABS won't work.

migs
04-29-2005, 01:22 AM
If the difference front front to rear it will trip an ABS and/or ASC fault and you're ABS and/or ASC light will come one, and either or both of those functions will fail to work.

The winter tires I have for my e34 has two different sizes from front to rear, at 90km/h the ABS light comes on, and until I shut the car off, the ABS won't work.

How much of a difference is there in your winter tires?

M50E30
04-29-2005, 09:45 PM
If you only .3 of an inch out you will be fine. As stated already......+/- 3% is the limit.

RevShoT
04-29-2005, 10:51 PM
im thinkin a 160 in the front and a 40" tire in the rear wrinkle wall micky thompson...

this is for a camaro right? *th-up*