PDA

View Full Version : F&#king Rims! Hubcentric??? WTF?

Guelphguy
04-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Well, the fiasco continues...
Long story, 2 ebay auctions later, rims sent to wrong place etc...I finally get my rims. They are for my 90 535i, check and they are 5X120, ET15..perfect, get my tires mounted, go to put them on the car...need longer wheel bolts...damn..ok, get longer bolts. Put them onto the car and right away I notice slight movement up and down...one thing I did not check..$hiat these might have 74.1 E39 hub centers...put them onto the car and sure enough it shakes like a whore on a cheap motel vibrating bed! Ok, so I think get some hubcentric rings and away I go...well all the freakin' tire shops around here are like you are trying to go from a 74.1 to a 72.56 hub..ha they don't exist...on a 5 bolt you don't need them! I have not been able to find anyone around that has the damn things and they way the last two shops talked it is like I shouldn't need them??? Can a 1.5mm ring make the difference between a smooth ride and vibrations???

bmdbley'sBro
04-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Wow imagine shops not having a clue!

ok so #1 did you have tires installed & balanced new?
or did they come with tires already?

1mm is very slight, but there should be no play......

if it came with rubber could be out of balance or bent up wheels..?

Guelphguy
04-28-2005, 05:02 PM
No, they are brank new rims, out of the box with newly installed (new) tires.... so I am positive that balance is not the issue....so I suppose my problem is just that...I need a very small hubcentric ring to ensure there is NO play with the hub.

hioctane
04-28-2005, 05:16 PM
No, they are brank new rims, out of the box with newly installed (new) tires.... so I am positive that balance is not the issue....so I suppose my problem is just that...I need a very small hubcentric ring to ensure there is NO play with the hub.

I have no idea regarding the need for a ring; however, just because they are new rims with newly installed tires does not mean they are true. The need to be ballanced...have they been?

ChahalzBMR
04-28-2005, 05:19 PM
you want cheap hub rings? go to cheap thrills. they have them for cheap! call them before you go...

fitz318is
04-28-2005, 05:23 PM
1010 tires has them, and they are canadian. If you dont want to ship, call param at megawheelz.com in mississauga.

http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

Drew_328IS
04-28-2005, 05:24 PM
www.justforwheels.com
all they sell online is hubcentric rings and that is were the shops all get them from also they have wheel locks and lug nuts

Drew_328IS
04-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Im dealing with the same problem I went to get new rotors and the wheel does not want to fit back on. The guy at the shop just picked his ass. He was lost so I had to call a guy from another shop to come over and put the wheels back on and they are still playing around with it.

WASABI
04-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Guelphguy, you've got to have the worst luck ever, with wheels ! yeah try cheap thrills in milton.

Guelphguy
04-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Well ok, get this, with time to kill, I just rotated the back tires to the front vis-versa....wobble all gone??? WTF? lol, rides fine now??

lil_red_mini
04-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Technically you shouldn't need hubcentric rings for your wheels....your lug nuts/bolts should get the wheel straight....and if they dont, the 1 mm ring prolly wont make any difference!!!! I have had the same problem with my Mini. And i know others that have had the same problem with the same kind of wheels....i put mine on and they shook like hell, got some rings for it....and it made almost zero difference!!! Ive balanced them like half a dozen times, but everytime they come out at zero.......ive just given up and drive it with the vibration :mad:

mirek
04-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Technically you shouldn't need hubcentric rings for your wheels....your lug nuts/bolts should get the wheel straight....and if they dont, the 1 mm ring prolly wont make any difference!!!! I have had the same problem with my Mini. And i know others that have had the same problem with the same kind of wheels....i put mine on and they shook like hell, got some rings for it....and it made almost zero difference!!! Ive balanced them like half a dozen times, but everytime they come out at zero.......ive just given up and drive it with the vibration :mad:

dont give advice if you have no idea what you're talking about. hubcentric rings CAN make a difference.

probably one of the wheels is out of balance, you wont feel it if it's on the rear. check for a lost weight

Gamite
04-28-2005, 09:56 PM
what speeds are your car vibrating at?

lil_red_mini
04-28-2005, 10:42 PM
dont give advice if you have no idea what you're talking about. hubcentric rings CAN make a difference.

probably one of the wheels is out of balance, you wont feel it if it's on the rear. check for a lost weight

Considering I've worked at a tire store for the last 6 years, I have had lots of experience with installing wheels on vehicles......from my NUMEROUS experiences I have found hubcentric rings make VERY little difference! Just sayin it the way I see it

M50E30
04-29-2005, 09:49 PM
What wheels did you get?

What tires did you get?

Not to come off as rude but have you heard the phrase......"You get what you pay for."?

T.Dot_E30
04-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Considering I've worked at a tire store for the last 6 years, I have had lots of experience with installing wheels on vehicles......from my NUMEROUS experiences I have found hubcentric rings make VERY little difference! Just sayin it the way I see it

So have I, and when i put mine on they made a huge difference. Vib is almost gone except for a slight one over 140km, i think its either my CAB, or driveshalf bushin or somethin

Guelphguy
04-30-2005, 06:46 PM
What wheels did you get?

What tires did you get?

Not to come off as rude but have you heard the phrase......"You get what you pay for."?

Well being that I am a purchasing agent by profession I somewhat agree with you...a more expensive rim will be made with more intrgrity, more with-standing, a more expensive tire will have better tread wear, better handling BUT to say that because they are cheap and that is why it vibrates is NOT acceptable. The rims are made by TSW (brand name) and while the tires being Herc's are a toyo knock off with full warranty. So people would not go around and keep buying tires if they wobble...but hey oh well they are cheap! I have the right as a consumer with brand new warrantied product to expect a "good" ride.
As I said, I have not rotated the rims from the back to front and the wobble/vibration is gone!!! So it is either bad balance on a tire that is now at the back or I just got Shiat lucky without my hub rings and got them fairly squared up! I still have the rings coming so I will install those to make sure it is perfect.
Thanks for everyone's input!

M50E30
04-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Cool stuff.

I have seen brand new cheap wheels and tires not balance very well. As for TSW......they have been better than their older stuff (in bending).

So which wheels did you get?

Guelphguy
04-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Didn't mean to sound rude in my response either...This is the first car that I have ever decided to buy rims for and I am certainly learning alot...I can see why everyone is sssooo hesitant to buy used and why OEM rims go for big bucks...etc...
Anyway here are the ones I picked up for now...The car cost me $5300 cert/etested so I really did not want to spend alot, so this set-up ended up costing me $805 inclusive (well need to add the hub rings yet) so that for new rims/tires was O.K. but did not come without it's share of headache's as everyone knows....

I will have to take better pics if the SUN ever decides to show itself again...this pic was taken in the rain from a bad angle!

http://img191.echo.cx/img191/5013/rimsoncarrevised4ow.jpg