PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a 96 M3?.. I have a ??

Antz_Marchin
04-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Do your low beams come on as soon as you turn your key regardless of light switch position?? I'm having a problem with this while installing ZKW/DDEs and I suspect that it is due to the US-->Canadian Spec conversion on a car made for the US only that year. They didn't have the little "city light" DRLs so they had to do the low beams full time.

Gamite
04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
city light's technically aren't DRL's. You'll probably have to wire your city lights from your indicator lights.. that's what I did.

if you want to have your lights turn off, I believe u have to change the relay or soemthign like that...

Antz_Marchin
04-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Ok, not sure about the city light thing but just heard that euro/canadian spec cars have a small bulb under the high beam that is on all the time as per Canadian spec. My car is built as US spec so didn't have these at alll and I'm guessing that in order to get the car to pass Canadian Standards the US dealer from where the car was ordered just wired the low beam as a full time "running light". I have no different setting on any of my light selector positions other than the fact that the fogs don't work at position 1 (off). If anybody knows what was done here and how to disable it, I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Daydream///M3
04-23-2005, 12:40 AM
This is a common problem....

Your car is a 96 M3 (U.S version) so the module you have is a U.S module which does not illuminate the highbeams as the daytime running lights (DRL).

When your car came across the border, canadian traffic laws states that all candian cars must have daytime running lights so inadvertently.... the dealer probably wired you so that when you turn on your car... lowbeams are always on.

I would check to see if you can get the candian spec DRL module from the dealers and swap that in before doing the ZKW installation.

Good luck

Antz_Marchin
04-23-2005, 02:30 AM
This is a common problem....

Your car is a 96 M3 (U.S version) so the module you have is a U.S module which does not illuminate the highbeams as the daytime running lights (DRL).

When your car came across the border, canadian traffic laws states that all candian cars must have daytime running lights so inadvertently.... the dealer probably wired you so that when you turn on your car... lowbeams are always on.

I would check to see if you can get the candian spec DRL module from the dealers and swap that in before doing the ZKW installation.

Good luck

Do you think that if the dealer wired me up for full-time low beams from the US spec module that I could just lose that extra wiring if I can find it and run with the US module?? This would be the best case scenario, as the Canadian module will be looking for that little light under the high beam and it won't be there, as the only true Can prepped cars are from '94/'98-'99 (not sure about '97) This might result in a check control error...not too sure though. Either way...I want to be able to run nothing but fogs/parking/DDEs. Thanks.

Daydream///M3
04-23-2005, 11:46 AM
pm me your phone number and we'll talk.

pre 94 e36 models always had the lowbeams on as their drl

just to clarify... the little light under the zkws highbeam light is the city light which is always on even if your in first click position or second click (lowbeams on) do you really want it on all the time? I didnt wire mine up to turn them on cause I didnt want them on.

PM me and we'll talk

328is_Perf
04-23-2005, 07:36 PM
i have a 96 328is US spec that i can pull off parts of ... my personal car, now a parts car ..