PDA

View Full Version : Move out of your parent's place

MarkD
04-22-2005, 03:37 PM
And into this place!

http://www.viewit.ca/vwExpandView.asp?PLID=11377

You will be close to all the Danforth has to offer.

MarkD

sirex
04-22-2005, 03:46 PM
thats pretty nice

MarkD
04-22-2005, 03:48 PM
thats pretty nice

Thanks Sirex. If it's not nice, it's not worth owning.

MarkD

sirex
04-22-2005, 04:14 PM
if I was looking for a place to move into that would definately be a good place to start looking at.. Good location as well and priced well.

Are you renting it out?

MarkD
04-22-2005, 04:17 PM
if I was looking for a place to move into that would definately be a good place to start looking at.. Good location as well and priced well.

Are you renting it out?

Yes I'm renting it out. It's available right now.

MarkD

RevShoT
04-22-2005, 05:55 PM
very nice but no dogs? what!!!

whats a house without a dog?

MarkD
04-22-2005, 06:44 PM
very nice but no dogs? what!!!

whats a house without a dog?

I already had trouble with someone who got a dog even after I had said no dogs, and it drove the other tenants and neighbours crazy with its barking. I got rid of her...

MarkD

Karim@Corner73
04-22-2005, 06:57 PM
I already had trouble with someone who got a dog even after I had said no dogs, and it drove the other tenants and neighbours crazy with its barking. I got rid of her...
MarkD

Well... the problem is you can't say "no dogs"... it's illegal. *no-no*

Anybody can just show up and rent it from you and move in with a dog. And you can't do jack shit unless they cause some serious trouble ;)

MarkD
04-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Well... the problem is you can't say "no dogs"... it's illegal. *no-no*

Anybody can just show up and rent it from you and move in with a dog. And you can't do jack shit unless they cause some serious trouble ;)

It's my place and I do as I like. I can pick whoever I want for a tenant. I don't have to rent it to just anyone. Some laws are just plain BS. As I said, the dog was disturbing other tenants. Most prospective tenants understand that some landlords don't want dogs. If they don't, I don't need those type of tenants. It's never been a problem except with that one lawyer I had as a tenant, and I got her out. :D

e36chick
04-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Mark, do you have to get a special permit to rent out your house? Reason I'm asking, is because we are renting rooms in a house we dont live in (but own) and our annoying neighbor came and accused us of "running a hotel, and it's illegal". Is there any permit we have to get?

e36chick
04-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Not that i personally care what my neighbor thinks, but she's a nutcase and has called the city on us for minor issues before, and it's a hassle.

5style
04-22-2005, 08:00 PM
^ i don't think so. Tell her to shove it. :D

MarkD
04-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Mark, do you have to get a special permit to rent out your house? Reason I'm asking, is because we are renting rooms in a house we dont live in (but own) and our annoying neighbor came and accused us of "running a hotel, and it's illegal". Is there any permit we have to get?

I don't need a permit to rent out complete self-contained apartments in the city of Toronto. I try to follow all the required codes and get tenants that the neighbours won't be complaining about. If you are in Mississauga, you may need a permit.

Mark

DbIiRrTdY
04-23-2005, 01:46 PM
any unit in the whole gta that had a basement apt before 1995 is legal. anything after is not and requires permits. So it is best not to upset the neighbours - and as Mark said make sure everything is up to code.

As for renting out - you can base your criteria on what ever you want (as long as it is within the law - but how can anyone prove that) - ask the questions and pick whom ever you would like to stay.

Just rented a place to a guy in etobicoke and used this company called landlord source - they did a complete background check on their credit and eviction history - I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone else who rents a place out. After all it is a long term relationship and you have to protect your investment.

if there is a problem with the neighbours - sell the place!

Nice place Mark - good luck with the place!

felixthecat
04-24-2005, 06:06 PM
You guys get raped on rental costs down there..

MarkD
04-24-2005, 10:35 PM
You guys get raped on rental costs down there..

Possibly that's true, but land is pricier in Toronto than Barrie.
I actually charge on the low end of the scale for the units I have, on some of them market values is about 20% more.

MarkD

Slowered318
04-24-2005, 10:50 PM
too far east for me.. or else i would grab that unit in a heart beat!

MarkD
04-24-2005, 10:53 PM
too far east for me.. or else i would grab that unit in a heart beat!

Too far east? It's west of Scarborough! :D

Anyway, my brother showed it to someone today who is very interested and I got two other emails asking to see it also.

MarkD

m3polack
04-25-2005, 12:42 AM
renting is a trait poor people have, just like smoking cigarettes...i never understand it. for $900/month i can get a morgate/own a very nice townhouse in the HALTON area. Ham/Brlgnt/StnCrk.

MarkD
04-25-2005, 01:07 AM
renting is a trait poor people have, just like smoking cigarettes...i never understand it. for $900/month i can get a morgate/own a very nice townhouse in the HALTON area. Ham/Brlgnt/StnCrk.

Have you considered what the real estate taxes, hydro, gas water and maintenance adds to that $900? I don't know what the price of this townhouse is and what the down payment is either. On top of that, you can't compare a place in the areas you mention with one in downtown Toronto. Of course it will be cheaper outside Toronto.

m3polack
04-25-2005, 02:20 AM
I wasn't really saying it towards your place of rental, i was just saying in regards of people in their 30's/40's that could have already OWNED their own home...

Real Esate is an INVESTMENT, remember that... 9-10years down the road when your townhouse is paid, ITS YOURS... and the value will eventually go up+... RENTING? your just throwing your money down a well so-to-say... great for the landlord though.

PS- I know property in T.dot is expensive... but then again, who the hell would want to live there.. ick. not for me, Downpayment ona townhouse is usually 5GRAND.

felixthecat
04-25-2005, 02:34 PM
We're not all rich,some of us have other bills to take care of like school and stuff..we cant just go out and buy a house when we cant save any money for a down payment..

mirek
04-25-2005, 09:44 PM

wow, you are one ****in ignorant polack. *thmbsdwn*

WhadUpp
04-25-2005, 10:55 PM

That's not true, some people have to rent while they save enough for a downpayment or while they're waiting for their house to be built. Not everyone is fortunate to have parents generous enough to give them the downpayment or buy the house for them. Your statement is highly ignorant stating that its a trait attached to poor people.

lvan
04-26-2005, 12:27 AM
^^I deff agree with you ....You need alot of cash to put down bevause you would end up pating 3 houses .(calculating the intrest hehe)

I think that's fair price what some people are paying to rent....

Nascar318is
04-29-2005, 05:44 PM
^^I deff agree with you ....You need alot of cash to put down bevause you would end up pating 3 houses .(calculating the intrest hehe)

I think that's fair price what some people are paying to rent....

T.o. is just as expensive as Ottawa...here it's 6-650 for a bachler and over a 1000 for a 2 bedroom apartment... That is why I stick to the Quebec side *shiner* $480 a month gets you a pretty nice 2 bedroom with living room and Kitchen, the only thing is the washer and dryer are in the bathroom.... :rolleyes: Like I care...

everlast
04-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Polack... $5G for a down payment? Try 5%, and then you have to pay 3% mortgage insurance. I'd like to see the craphole you live in if you only paid $100G for it. And paying it off in 9 or 10 years? WTF?! $900 (taxes out) at a prefered interest rate, that would be $900 monthly for 25 years for a typical mortgage rate, for an average home in Ottawa, let alone Toronto. Then add tax, heat, elec., gas and repairs / maintenance.

Also, if you can rent for less than the total monthly interest of a mortgage, and save the rest of the money, your total net worth increases just the same. Plus you save on all the other bills. So you rent for a few years, and put down $30G on a house when you have some money saved. THAT'S why people rent.

It really sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. Sorry to rant, but it's a lot more complex than you make it sound, and I hate to think people might listen to bad advice, ever.

Nice place Mark, I'll pass it along to a nice girl I know in the area who might like it.

PS. I'm 29 and have been a home-owner for 5.5 years, on my 2nd home, so I know ALL about the high costs of home ownership. Given the choice again, I would have rented.