PDA

View Full Version : ABS/ASC light is occasionally ON after the break light was gone.

KGB
04-19-2005, 10:19 AM
I seem to have a common problem that so many folks already described.

A week ago on Saturday I was driving out of town and suddenly heard the gong sound, the displayed flashed "Check break lights". That wasn't a big deal, the Canadian Tire sells 2 12V bulbs for a couple of bucks. After 30-40 min. of driving, I pushed the breaks a little to get off the highway ramp onto a smaller road. And I felt the vibrations from the break pedal, just like breaking in the snow kind of thing. After a few moments the ABS and ASC lights went on, and I now have this problem every once in a while. And the speedometer quits working as well during this.

I haven't checked my rear driver's side wheel sensor with a meter yet, planned to do it yesterday when putting the summer wheels on, but didn't have time.

Is it likely the wheel sensor or a ASC Unit? What's strange is that the problem occurred after the light bulb went dead, just a coincidence or a voltage change kicked in and screwed up my ASC Unit? Kind of scary to think about it, since the unit is pretty damn expensive.

Any thoughts, folks?

KGB
04-19-2005, 07:53 PM
I removed the rear wheel tonight and I discovered what really caused the problem with the warning lights.

The ABS sensor connector was loose and the plastic around it was damaged pretty bad. It was wrapped around with an insulation tape which was partially gone and dripping with water from the last car wash. It looks like someone before me already tampered with the connector to stop the mileage rolling up by disconnecting the sensor and driving the car.

The dealership that sold me this car is called Import Car Centre located on Merivale Rd, Ottawa, Ontario. If someone is thinking about buying a car from them, I would recommend look somewhere else, just my 2 cents.

Here's a couple of pictures of the sensor:
http://images9.fotki.com/v177/photos/4/42407/2094927/127_2714-vi.jpg

http://images9.fotki.com/v176/photos/4/42407/2094927/127_2720-vi.jpg