PDA

View Full Version : Summer Performance Tire Choices ?????

tominizer
04-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Looking for a good 225 40/18 performance summer tire that has some tread life. Stuff I've heard about includes:

Kumho 712
Wanli
Hankok K104

Can anyone share some experiences here on what they have or what they would recommend. This is for a daily driver that I drive moderately hard.

Thanks in advance.

paul christians
04-14-2005, 10:17 AM
do not like kumho,hankok they are ok but look at toyo's T1'Rs and see if you like them I do>>>>>>>>

WASABI
04-14-2005, 10:31 AM
I had a set of Hercules G5000Z in that size, the thread life was good, grip was ok. Tireworld in Brampton was selling them for $750 installed and ballanced. You should look into the Fuzions, those have been getting good reviews for the price.

///MAC
04-14-2005, 10:31 AM
yea man, i posted a thread like this
get toyo, t1-r's a lil expensive about 250-300 dollars each tire but well worth it

ChahalzBMR
04-14-2005, 11:11 AM
I just got Fuzion ZR1 put on last night and all I have to say is WOW!!! That are truly amazing! Nice grip, not loud and rides smooth. The best part is that they are not that expensive!!!

Ant118
04-14-2005, 11:28 AM
I personally love the Michliens Pilot Sports, I have the cups on my car but the the PS's maybe pricey but OMG do they grip, the cup's are more a softer compund and is half slick and half groved. The Pilot sports i think is one of the best street tires out there and are still great on the trac as well

ara325
04-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Here are some experiences with different tires i've owned over the years...some of which (prolly most if not all) are no longer in production:

- Bridgestone Potenza RE71 - stuck better the balder they got

- Yokohama A520 - have never felt a better wet tire...great on dry pave as well, INCREDIBLE in the rain...saved my ass twice

- Bridgestone Potenza RE910 (i believe but i could be wrong) - tire had 2 different patterns split down the middle - ok grip...great for burnouts, but follows too many of the lines in the road, thus making more work to keep the car straight...very aggressive tire

- Michelin Pilot HZ's - pretty aggresive grip on hard turns, quiet tire, easy to handle

- Pirelli P6000 SuperSport - awesome wet/dry tire, pretty quiet

- Toyo Proxes T1's - currently on my car, great grip, good wet traction, keeps the car straight.

I hear alot of good things about Toyo, a little more expensive, but worth it...imo.

good luck.

Mystikal
04-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Of the ones you mentioned, the K104's are the only ones I'd touch. They're copies of the Michelin Pilot Sports, a well kept secret in bargain tires. In that price range, the Falken FK-451 is also quite good. If you spend just a little bit more (check the pricing, it's close), the Pirelli Nero M&S is an excellent tire, with a 400 treadwear rating (compared to sub-300 for the rest) that has really, really good performance.

T.Dot_E30
04-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Still can't believe his choices for a "Good performance tire".

Those would be on my list of cheap budget tires.
I know its easy to cheap out but dont expect a really good tire.

ara325
04-14-2005, 09:13 PM
You should also consider that your tires are (one of the "only") things between you and the road, so you're better off saving some money elsewhere and investing in decent tires. *th-up*

Sickbimmer
04-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Where do you guys buy your tires at? I also need a set of 235-35-19 any hook ups. Help a brother out.

ImolaMZ3
04-14-2005, 09:43 PM
If money is no object try the Bridgestone SO3 Pole Postions. Absolutely amazing grip. Figure on less then 20,000 km out of a set but hey fun is never cheap.

tominizer
04-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks for those responses.

I've just started looking around on the web and asking for opinions. It's been a long while since I bought tires, so I'm definitely not up to speed on whats what out there rite now. I do know it's easy to say stuff like F1's, etc, etc and toss down a lot of money, but on a daily driver that puts on a lot of mileage, a tire like that is a really dumb-azz choice as I'll have to replace them after one summer. I do agree that tires are very important. But I'm trying to be realistic here. This is not for the track at all and I need some sort of compromise between performance and wear. What I don't want is an all season tire. I already have a set of winters on OEM rims.

Manimillion
04-15-2005, 10:42 AM
712's are garbage

thinair
04-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Look into either Fuzion ZRi's, or Yokohama ES100's, you'll like either choice *th-up*

That is as much budget as I would go for a performance tire.

chromius
04-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks for those responses.

I've just started looking around on the web and asking for opinions. It's been a long while since I bought tires, so I'm definitely not up to speed on whats what out there rite now. I do know it's easy to say stuff like F1's, etc, etc and toss down a lot of money, but on a daily driver that puts on a lot of mileage, a tire like that is a really dumb-azz choice as I'll have to replace them after one summer. I do agree that tires are very important. But I'm trying to be realistic here. This is not for the track at all and I need some sort of compromise between performance and wear. What I don't want is an all season tire. I already have a set of winters on OEM rims.

I know exactly the dilema you are going through, and I just went through it a few weeks ago.

I went from a Michelin Pilot with a 140 tread wear rating to a set of BFGoodrich G-force sports, with a 340 tread wear rating, I loved the pilots but It got to the point where I was replacing them (especially the rear) every season, and at $300 a tire, was just getting rediculous.

My experience with the new BFG gforce sports has been really good so far, they were $180 a tire, and I have put them through their paces and gone beyond their limits to "learn the new rubber". I was very impressed with the smooth transition from "grip to slip" they didn't just break loose and send me into a skid. Cornering ability was surprisingly up at par with the michelins, not quite as much grip, but the thing that really jumped out at me, and I was very impressed with was the steering response, just fabulous, you can really feel the road with these. On top of that they are much quieter too, but that could just be because the others were worn down.

Hope this helps. :)

TheLoneVR!
04-15-2005, 11:56 AM
I have the Michelin Pilots Sports.. *th-up* they are great and the tread lasts longer than most other tires,,.....NOW The TOYOS are *mw* *mw* *mw* amazing, great grip expecially for rear well cars.....the tread life though.... :confused: :puke: *thmbsdwn* *mumble*

MarkD
04-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Where do you guys buy your tires at? I also need a set of 235-35-19 any hook ups. Help a brother out.

I only buy tires at Steelcase Tire, near Woodbine and Steeles. You don't usually find a lower price, and they have good service.

I bought some Toyo T1_R's in 255/40/17 last there week.

Ask for Dave or Jim.

MarkD

sonny
04-15-2005, 04:40 PM
I already have my own thread about tire choices, but this one seems more popular so I'll ask my questions here.

I need good summer tires. I've been looking at the Yokohama AVS ES100, Pirelli PZero Nero and Toyo Proxes 4. Of these three, which one is the best?

I want a tire with good mileage and traction. I've been getting mixed reviews on these particular tires from numerous stores. Any suggestions? Or, am I looking at the wrong tires? If so, please feel free to name some other choices. I want to spend about $230 max per tire. Thanks.

paul christians
04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
toyo's only for me (t1-Rs)205/50/15 in front 205/55/15 in back maybe

sonny
04-15-2005, 05:02 PM
What did those cost you?

paul christians
04-15-2005, 05:10 PM
about 250 a tire..........

Sickbimmer
04-15-2005, 06:37 PM
I only buy tires at Steelcase Tire, near Woodbine and Steeles. You don't usually find a lower price, and they have good service.

I bought some Toyo T1_R's in 255/40/17 last there week.

Ask for Dave or Jim.

MarkD

Thanks Mark I'll try calling on the weekend *th-up*

Mitch555
04-15-2005, 07:04 PM

Call up Johnston and Magwood in Mississauga. I picked up my Yokohama Parada Spec 2 tires for a good price when I bought them over there. (225/35/19)

Here (http://www.yellowpages.ca/searchCustomer.do?type=MAP&srchtype=category&directoryId=092963&provinceId=ON&what=johnston+and+magwood&showMsgBox=1&listingId=57326253&sType=productSearch&step=more&pcid=0&pst=simpleSearch&city=mississauga) is their contact info.

Mystikal
04-16-2005, 06:37 PM
I need good summer tires. I've been looking at the Yokohama AVS ES100, Pirelli PZero Nero and Toyo Proxes 4. Of these three, which one is the best?

I want a tire with good mileage and traction. I've been getting mixed reviews on these particular tires from numerous stores. Any suggestions? Or, am I looking at the wrong tires? If so, please feel free to name some other choices. I want to spend about $230 max per tire. Thanks.

Good mileage and traction, the Nero (M&S or summer) and the Proxes 4 will do. The Nero has a distinct performance advantage, and better treadwear also IIRC (the M&S model at least). The ES100s are very good tires, but the wet traction leaves something to be desired, compared to newer entries.

born slippy
04-16-2005, 08:25 PM
my dad just ordered some falken ziex ze512s for his car. any word on those? i heard they were pretty good.

Mystikal
04-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Very good in every aspect but sidewall strength. Compared to other more aggressive entries, the ZE-512's have pretty soft walls, which will feel disconcerting to a hard driver acustomed to high performance tires. Otherwise though, very very good tires.

tominizer
04-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Ordered tjhe Fusion ZR-1. Lots of choices not in stock rite now ............... and my winters are burning up.

sonny
04-19-2005, 01:18 AM
I have a 2001 325i (sport package). Currently, I have 225/45/17 all around. Can I go with 225/45/17 in front, and say 245/40/17 in the rear?

I've already decided I'm going with the pzero nero, now I just need to decide on size. Any suggestions?

rico328i
04-19-2005, 01:23 AM
Sure you can. As long as you have wider rims. Think you'd need at least 8" rims to fit 245's.

ara325
04-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Sure you can. As long as you have wider rims. Think you'd need at least 8" rims to fit 245's.

You just have to check that you'll be clearing your fender wells.

Mystikal
04-19-2005, 05:49 PM
I have a 2001 325i (sport package). Currently, I have 225/45/17 all around. Can I go with 225/45/17 in front, and say 245/40/17 in the rear?

I've already decided I'm going with the pzero nero, now I just need to decide on size. Any suggestions?

Don't. E46's already understeer with 225's all around, don't worsen the problem.