PDA

View Full Version : Cup Kit vs Coilover

trypnotic
04-13-2005, 11:26 AM
I 'm going to replace my suspension, the only thing is that I do not know if I should go with a Cup Kit or a Coilover kit.

What are the advantages of a cup kit over a coilover or VS besides the fact that you can adjust the coilover. ????????
:confused: *smoke*

M50E30
04-13-2005, 12:33 PM
I 'm going to replace my suspension, the only thing is that I do not know if I should go with a Cup Kit or a Coilover kit.

What are the advantages of a cup kit over a coilover or VS besides the fact that you can adjust the coilover. ????????
:confused: *smoke*

The cup kit is cheaper (only advantage), so coilovers hands down due to the adjustability. But if you plan on only street driving......springs & shocks.

TheMadChigga
04-13-2005, 01:09 PM
cup kit, put on and forget it, sometime you may wish you could go lower/higher, but most are good enough.

coilover, if you love adjustability then its for you, but the downside is you have to take care of the threaded body, most coilover kit they machined the thread on the strut body, so if the threads are messed from corrosion or whatever, you are pretty much screwed. I just don't drive my Volvo in the winter to avoid the problems.

SkycityBMW
04-13-2005, 01:24 PM
I agree with TheMadChigga . . . .

Nascar318is
04-13-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm in the same boat...But i think i'm just going to go with Eibach coils....Lowers the front 1.5 and the rear 1"....plus it's less then $500 tx in....

Ant118
04-13-2005, 01:31 PM
I honestly perfere the coil over but if you dont wanna do any adjustamnts or play with the car that way I would say the cup kit. You can still take it to the track but wont have the same handling as the coil over, but the cup kit is still a good buy

trypnotic
04-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone for helping me out. Since, I only plan on street driving, and I do drive my car in the winter, I think I will go with the CUP KIT.

THANKS AGAIN.

Dee *wave* *th-up*

TheMadChigga
04-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Cupkit is more than sufficient both on track and streets, I have cup kit on my GTI, the drop is not a whole lot but enough to occasionally scrape speed bumps with the muffler and chin spoiler. If LOOKs is not your #1 concern, I suggest you upgrade your sway bars & bushings first, the initial improvement is much much greater than just springs & shocks.

Just do a lot of homework before you purchase, and good luck!

thinair
04-13-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm going to add one thing to this, never upgrade swaybars on a car with stock springs and shocks.

Also, coilovers are nice to have once you get into larger wheels, you can put the car at exactly the height you want it.

Mystikal
04-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Street cars shouldn't have coilovers. They don't need corner weighting, the incredibly stiffer spring rates, or the price tag that comes with them.

If you don't know which one to get, springs/shocks are for you.

King Luis
04-13-2005, 04:15 PM
i'm kind of in the same situation.
i want to drive my car in the winter but i don't want to be plowing the streets every morning...i want to go coil overs because in the winter i can raise it up and in the summer i can drop it down.
decisions decisions.

thinair
04-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Street cars shouldn't have coilovers.

Wow, bold statement. I totally disagree though. And most coilover spring rates aren't that stiff. I've been in a car with H&R Race and Bilstein Sports and it was stiffer then my car.

Mystikal
04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Wow, bold statement. I totally disagree though. And most coilover spring rates aren't that stiff. I've been in a car with H&R Race and Bilstein Sports and it was stiffer then my car.

Aren't that stiff?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?1

For example on E30's, typical aftermarket spring rates are 182/343 (H&R Sport), 148/275-343 (Eibach Pro-Kit), etc. An E30 M3 comes with 140/250 from the factory. My spring rates, which were the softest GC would sell to me, are 300/440. The ride is incredibly stiffer than with typical street oriented kits.

I firmly believe that linear spring rates this high (relative) have no place on Toronto streets. Bilstein Sports have very high compression dampening, and H&R Race's are pretty darn stiff (though at least progressive). I bet if you match the Race's with Konis you'll get a decent ride.

Mystikal
04-13-2005, 07:04 PM
i'm kind of in the same situation.
i want to drive my car in the winter but i don't want to be plowing the streets every morning...i want to go coil overs because in the winter i can raise it up and in the summer i can drop it down.
decisions decisions.

I bought mine for that reason, wouldn't do it again. Being 1.5" lower to the ground isn't going to affect much.

Gamite
04-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Jay, its just yours that are that stiff, live with it.. :P

ambasah
04-13-2005, 10:50 PM
I was in the same dilemma and went with H&R's cupkit. I would highly recommend them.

TheMadChigga
04-14-2005, 01:28 AM
I'm going to add one thing to this, never upgrade swaybars on a car with stock springs and shocks.

I have to disagree with you. Sway bars has no interference with shocks in springs when in motion, all it does is just provide less side-side weight transfer. It actually reduced the force being apply on springs and shocks when in motion.

thinair
04-14-2005, 04:36 PM
I have to disagree with you. Sway bars has no interference with shocks in springs when in motion, all it does is just provide less side-side weight transfer. It actually reduced the force being apply on springs and shocks when in motion.

While cornering it will put a lot of added stress on the swaybar mounts, particularly the rear tabs which are prone to bending. Plus it will make the car handle really weird, especially at transitions from braking to cornering, and cornering to acceleration, it just doesn't make sense to me at all. And in the end you still have a lot of brake dive and acceleration squat.