PDA

View Full Version : M Roadster vs gravel truck....fcccccckkkkkk

ImolaMZ3
04-12-2005, 07:37 PM
What the hell is going on the QEW? My wife was driving the roadster into the office this morning when the car in front of her suddenly swerves out of the way. Suddenly the road is full of boucing rocks coming off the truck in the next lane. Being a quick thinker she gets the name of the trucking company and license plate. Now for the crap of calling the OPP, filing out the report, calling the insurance company, etc.

This car was perfect, only two chips, multiple coats of Zaino, no swirls, fck. Tomorrow I see the adjuster and see what happens. Hood, bumper, windshield, grill, passanger side all have lots of chips. I called Budd's and they are going to appraise it tomorrow afternoon. Something tells me this won't be cheap as Imola Red will not be easy to match.

For what it is worth this car is coming up for sale this summer. Now it will be perfect for the next lucky owner.

Raging Lamb
04-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Wow, this is a third story like this I've read today. It sucks big time. But chips are fixable. It could have been a lot worse.

bmwm5lover
04-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Wouldn't the fact that the car has been repainted lower the car value, especially on a newer, expensive model?

///m powered
04-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Sucks to hear man, hope you get you get all fixed soon. Today I had a rock hit my hood, then roof, then trunk lid, wtf.:(

ImolaMZ3
04-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Good point on the value question. I took lots of pictures to show that there is no body damage. It should help with the questions a new buyer will ask. I am going to get them to paint the hood and bumper off the car to prevent overspray. The side can be spot repaired I hope.

maxx318i
04-12-2005, 08:50 PM
wow another one..HWYs suck in Ontario dont they?

Darkness95m3
04-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear that.
I Know exactly how you feel.

Antz_Marchin
04-13-2005, 01:02 AM
I'd be in that truck company office unleashing hell if that happened to me. They better pay every cent, those bastards should be liable for that. If I were driving down the road throwing stones and baseballs out my window at cars I bet I'd be in s#&t. This stuff pisses me off....

thinair
04-13-2005, 01:47 AM
If only an MTO officer saw that, the driver would be so screwed.

EstorilM3
04-13-2005, 01:48 PM
That sucks!

But that's what your insurance is for.
Your insurance will pay for the repair cost (which may amount to the whole front end being painted or even more!), then they will go after the truckers insurance company.
That's what no-fault insurance is all about.
You yourself cannot go after the trucker!

Just hope that the shop does a good job of colour matching.

Forget trying to "buff-out" the chips or just spot-painting. Get the whole thing repainted, and go through insurance. To repaint half a car "properly" can cost 4-5k at a good shop.

ImolaMZ3
04-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Well there may be a silver lining in all of this afterall. I had a good talk with the adjuster about the damage and we came to this:
Replace both grills and windshield
Repaint bumper cover, hood, both front fenders, gills, and quarters, passenger door, rocker and rear quarter.

I am going to kick in the extra to paint the remaining panels as colour matching Imola is not easy.

Budd's collision is doing the repair. They are going to do it right including removal of all emblems, seals, hardware, etc. While they are at it I am having the wheels redone too. Should look like new.

I hate repaints but there is nothing I can do so I just gotta suck it up.

thinair
04-13-2005, 02:34 PM
If you're going to roll your fenders, or do any other body mods (splitters, skirts, bumpers, etc) now is the time.

Don't forget the 3M stoneguard afterwards *wiggle*

EstorilM3
04-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Well there may be a silver lining in all of this afterall. I had a good talk with the adjuster about the damage and we came to this:
Repaint bumper cover, hood, both front fenders, gills, and quarters, passenger door, rocker and rear quarter.

I am going to kick in the extra to paint the remaining panels as colour matching Imola is not easy.

Budd's collision is doing the repair. They are going to do it right including removal of all emblems, seals, hardware, etc. While they are at it I am having the wheels redone too. Should look like new.

A good shop will "blend-in" new paint right away even without asking.
By that, I mean if they repaint the front, they respray the front half of the fenders as well by blending-in or feathering the paint...
They have to do that, because new and old paint will NEVER match exactly. New paint is formulated according to the BMW specs, while the older paint has already faded a bit due to exposure to sun, etc...so, they never-ever match.
Blending or feathering helps a lot, and is done by good shops WITHOUT anyone paying any extra.
Talk to the body shop manager at Budds, and he will tell you the same, I'm sure.

I had done something similar to by old 328is a few years ago...they sprayed the whole front end, then blended-in the paint on the fenders...Mauritius blue as well!
I was never able to tell what is new and what is old.

ImolaMZ3
04-13-2005, 04:27 PM
If you're going to roll your fenders, or do any other body mods (splitters, skirts, bumpers, etc) now is the time.

Don't forget the 3M stoneguard afterwards *wiggle*

Hi this is the wife of ImolamZ3, what is 3m stoneguard? Do you have it on your car. I just know I'm going to roll out of the body shop and get another "Chip" on our fine Ontario roads. Please advise.

Thanks and just sick from what happened yesterday! :(

thinair
04-13-2005, 04:39 PM
It's basically a thin transparent urethane film that is applied over the front of the car. It usually covers the front bumper, the first 10-12" of the hood, front part of the front fenders, some also apply it to the headlights, and on the ZM cars to the front of the rear fenders as well.

I have no idea how much it costs, but kits are available for your car, and once it's applied it's practically unnoticable. A few people on this forum swear by it.

Darkness95m3
04-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Budd's does a great job.

ara325
04-13-2005, 04:55 PM
It's basically a thin transparent urethane film that is applied over the front of the car. It usually covers the front bumper, the first 10-12" of the hood, front part of the front fenders, some also apply it to the headlights, and on the ZM cars to the front of the rear fenders as well.

I have no idea how much it costs, but kits are available for your car, and once it's applied it's practically unnoticable. A few people on this forum swear by it.

I've seen taht stuff on like 3 or 4 cars, and i've been able to find the lines on every one...personally, i'm not too crazy about the 3M clear stuff...just my opinion.

ImolaMZ3
04-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Holy crap my wife found where I hang out!

Blending does work very well but I have had two bad experiences.
Once was on a mustang where due to scratches I had to compound the car. The blended area caused a real problem during this as it didn't give the same level of polish. This was 15 years ago and they have gotten better but...
My IS300 had the rear blended to the door. Fantastic job and you would never know. Then one day while pulling up beside it in my FX with the Xenon's on there it was. The different lighting made it show up like glow in the dark paint. Picky maybe but on a $50k car I want it right.

I know about the Clear Bra, we use it on one of our work trucks and it works well. I just don't like that line on the hood. Of course rock chips are not any better.....

vinay
04-14-2005, 01:05 PM
atleast she didnt get hurt

notmpowered
04-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't the fact that the car has been repainted lower the car value, especially on a newer, expensive model Dude I think a car with chips all over the hood and dents would have a lower value than one that has had them repaired. It happens man, don't get worked up about it, being that it was a roadster at least none flew in and clocked anyone.

Bmwstylz
04-14-2005, 10:42 PM
EstorilM3 - You had a Mauritius blue 328is? Lucky guy.... I think that is the nicest bmw colour ever :P

Now back to the thread! I am sure Budd's will get your car looking just like new again :)

dtthiaga
04-16-2005, 12:18 AM
The 3M Hood film works awesome! I got it put on when I bought the car and it has saved my front end (lots of highway driving).

For an e46, it was $180 installed at the dealer.

I prefer the thin film (which stands up well) to a hood deflector or hood bra.

Rampage
04-17-2005, 08:33 PM
My mom had a similar problem on the QEW. Was driving by a construction area on the QEQ two summers ago, and a large rock flew off of an excavator as it was dumping a load of drit/gravel/asphalt into a dump truck, and hit the top of her windshield, and the front of the roof of the car.

Had to replace the windshield and fix the roof of the car. We took photos of the damages and went to the Ministry of Ontario to look for a compensation, as it was their construction work. They basically said theres nothing they can do about it, and they werent paying a thing.