PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light - loss of power

Black328is
04-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Looking for advice..
I tried doing a search, but it's not working for some reason.

I filled up with gas a few days ago and as soon as I started the car the check engine light came on. At first I thought it was bad gas but I don't think a new tank of gas is going to cure this. The car hesitates and is very weak most of the time. The spark plugs are those Bosch Plus 4's which I thought were supposed to last for a long time. The check engine light did go off momentarily the other day. I hope it's not a fuel injector or coil$$$$
Any other possibilities?
Thanks in advance

BTW, it's a 98 328is with 100k on it.

Darkness95m3
04-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Looking for advice..
I tried doing a search, but it's not working for some reason.

I filled up with gas a few days ago and as soon as I started the car the check engine light came on. At first I thought it was bad gas but I don't think a new tank of gas is going to cure this. The car hesitates and is very weak most of the time. The spark plugs are those Bosch Plus 4's which I thought were supposed to last for a long time. The check engine light did go off momentarily the other day. I hope it's not a fuel injector or coil$$$$
Any other possibilities?
Thanks in advance

BTW, it's a 98 328is with 100k on it.

Is the check engine light back on?
If not possibly bad wire, spark plug or coil.

The other pos. water in fuel. Filling up you might have sucked up water from the gas stations tanks. It does happen.

Black328is
04-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Is the check engine light back on?
If not possibly bad wire, spark plug or coil.

The other pos. water in fuel. Filling up you might have sucked up water from the gas stations tanks. It does happen.

The light is back on and it still isn't running right. It feels like it's down to 5 or 4 cylinders at times but it isn't skipping or vibrating badly which is strange.

Darkness95m3
04-12-2005, 09:36 AM
The light is back on and it still isn't running right. It feels like it's down to 5 or 4 cylinders at times but it isn't skipping or vibrating badly which is strange.

Got to get the error code. Do you know anyone that has the BMW error code reader?

M50E30
04-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Got to get the error code. Do you know anyone that has the BMW error code reader?

Dealer should only charge you 1/2 an hour to check for codes. But I would call first just to make shure!

rico328i
04-12-2005, 10:49 AM
I had a similar issue a month or so ago. Happened shortly after a filling up on gas. Loss of power, felt like I was only running on 4-5 cyldrs. Etc... Checked the fuel cap. Decided to BURN some gas - 1/4 tank and refill. Did the trick!!!! Burned some more gas and put in more gas (from a different location that original). Car ran fine after that.

It's a cheap way to do it....but why don't you give it a try. I now have a Fault Code reader. If I had it then, I would have known. BTW - I did get it scanned and it showed ' MISFIRE in cyl 1-3.

Good luck.

Black328is
04-12-2005, 12:34 PM
I had a similar issue a month or so ago. Happened shortly after a filling up on gas. Loss of power, felt like I was only running on 4-5 cyldrs. Etc... Checked the fuel cap. Decided to BURN some gas - 1/4 tank and refill. Did the trick!!!! Burned some more gas and put in more gas (from a different location that original). Car ran fine after that.

It's a cheap way to do it....but why don't you give it a try. I now have a Fault Code reader. If I had it then, I would have known. BTW - I did get it scanned and it showed ' MISFIRE in cyl 1-3.

Good luck.

I've been driving the car as much as possible to burn through the tank. I added some fuel stabilizer and didn't get any results. So, I'll just have to wait another day or so to add some new gas. I'm at half a tank right now. I hope it's as simple as that!
Thanks for sharing your input. I'll let you guys know what happens.

BMVV
04-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Could be a bad O2 sensor or the Mass air flow sensor, this is why you need the codes read to pinpoint the problem.

SkycityBMW
04-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Here check this thread for your coils problem . . . Good DIY from Djcontra

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36623&highlight=coils

Black328is
04-13-2005, 01:18 PM
I just filled up with a tank of the good stuff and nothing has changed. *mumble*
I'm going to pick up some regular platinum plugs and check the resistance of the coils. Nice write up on that BTW, and thanks for the link.

ChahalzBMR
04-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Actaully I had the same problem as you but mine turned out to be my spark plugs. I had +4 in there and as soon as I changed them, everything started to run nicely.

rico328i
04-13-2005, 04:24 PM
well the gas did it for me. And when something's not running properly, I always use the process of elminitation . Starting with the inexpensive and easy options first. Worked for me. Keep us posted as to what ends up happening.

Good luck.

Black328is
04-13-2005, 10:02 PM
I just replaced the spark plugs and tested each coil.

I took the car for a ride and the CEL is still on and the acceleration is still sluggish at low RPM's.:confused:

I thought for sure this would clear up the problem since the plugs looked to be original. They were labeled NGK & "BMW" and had 4 electrodes. They appeared pretty used up in comparison to the Bosch +2's I used to replace them.
I'm glad I was able to check the coils and eliminate that possibilty.
Each one showed between .6 and .8 ohms of resistance.

It must be the O2 sensor or the MAF sensor. I have a connection with a BMW mechanic so, I guess the next step is to give him a call and have the codes read. oh well. I needed the plugs anyways and now I know that my coils are in good health. Thanks for all the tips guys.

Black328is
04-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Pulled the codes, and it looks like I'll be purchasing a Cam sensor. Also found two large tears in between the fins of the intake boot that connects the MAF sensor housing to the throttle body. That's probably not a cheap part.

BMVV
04-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Hope thiis will cure your ills.

rico328i
04-15-2005, 12:31 AM
How much is a cam sensor going to set you back? OEM I guess eh?>

Black328is
04-15-2005, 08:47 AM
How much is a cam sensor going to set you back? OEM I guess eh?>

I just called the dealer. $111 for the cam sensor and $39 for the intake rubber duct thing.