PDA

View Full Version : new to the maXworld, and already starting with the questions

BMWags
04-11-2005, 02:43 AM
hi everyone,

i am fairly new to maX and ive been using this forum to get aquainted with the BMW world. i'm currently in the market for a 1992-1997 e36 *mw* 4door. Also, while searching the forum i came upon common problems for this model but i would like more information on body rust/bubbling. Where are the common areas of corrosion and how big of an issue is rust with these cars?
(i'm sure the amount rust varies depending on the care the previous owner gave it, but usually it follows patterns nonetheless)

thanks in advance, cheers!! *wave*

BMWags
04-12-2005, 03:44 PM
does anyone have any rust horror stories regarding this model?

ChahalzBMR
04-12-2005, 03:47 PM
I find the nose panel to become rust very quickly but that is thanks for the chips on highway...most of the body is built pretty solid. I have a few rust spots on the rear doors. That's all.

SkycityBMW
04-12-2005, 04:19 PM
I have a 92 325i . . . not much rust on mine . . just by the door.
and as Chahalzbmr said the nose panel . . damn rocks ! !

Oh yeah . . . . Welcome to maXbimmer ! ! !

97M3/4
04-12-2005, 04:26 PM
ive seen a couple of older ones have some rust around the trunk area, but i doubt they were taken care of...most are pretty clean.

bmwm5lover
04-12-2005, 05:49 PM
On the 92, I would also be very wary of the rear-subframe cracking issue. Just some food for thought...

SkycityBMW
04-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Yeah, bmwm5lover . . . . I forgot about that issue . . . depends on how the previous owner(s) drove the car.

BMW discovered that over time, due to the bending of the rear of the chassis in conjunction with the movement allowed by the rubber bushings in the rear, the chassis mounting points for the subframe would flex, weaken, and if left unattended, rip out of the chassis. The stock mounts are basically a flat plate with an internally threaded tube that are welded to the chassis. The flex of the rear subframe causes the threaded tube and mounting bolt to act as a lever arm at the point where the flat plate is welded to the chassis, weakening the surrounding sheet metal. Due to the direction of force of the torque applied by the drivetrain on the subframe, the first mount to rip out is the passengerís side front mount, followed by the drivers side rear mount.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=4111225649

King Luis
04-12-2005, 07:39 PM
On the 92, I would also be very wary of the rear-subframe cracking issue. Just some food for thought...
is it only the 92 or 92 to what?

bmwm5lover
04-12-2005, 09:01 PM
is it only the 92 or 92 to what?
I *believe* it was 92's, and a few early 93's..Someone correct me if I am wrong.

BMWags
04-12-2005, 10:57 PM
wow, sub-frame cracking sounds pretty serious, what kind of preventitive maintenance is done to remedy this? are there reinforcing plates available to weld to the frame?

KaschmirBeige3
04-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Almost all E36 had rear subframe problems as well as the rear shock mounts being torn from the body. Also, the water pump issue was a problem. Other than that E36's were built pretty solid

Welcome to Max *wave*

SkycityBMW
04-13-2005, 10:18 AM
wow, sub-frame cracking sounds pretty serious, what kind of preventitive maintenance is done to remedy this? are there reinforcing plates available to weld to the frame?

I guess you didn't click on my link above . . .

BMWags
04-13-2005, 10:41 AM
ooops!!! sorry man....rookie mistake