PDA

View Full Version : Help, How To Launch Auto?

vegabass
04-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Hey Guys,

i have a 03, 330i. Its a great car, the only thing is that it is AUTO. I KNOW BOOOO.(i bought the car with my moms, and she needed to drive it sometimes too) Its got tiptronic which is alright. I am however trying to find what is the best way to launch off the line. I was reading that with the SMG version of the car, u can actaully launch the car of the line by holding the shifter forward which then launches the car at like 4 thousand rpm. Is there any trick like that with the TIPTRONIC, or does anyone know how to get this AUTO off the line a little bit faster?
:confused:

Gamite
04-11-2005, 01:11 AM
Honestly, I find tiptronic kinda useless in a straight line launch, its good for when you shift down to go through corners or stuff like that.

I would say, the most effective way to launch an auto would be to hold down the brake witn your left foot, and rev up the car to about 2k, u'll get a pretty good launch off that.

330DTM
04-11-2005, 01:34 AM
It's a bit off-topic, but if you ever use tiptronic (I assume it doesn't rev match) or an auto to downshift, I find the best way is to give the gas a little tap so that it'll rev match. It's hard to explain but you have to find the right timing and the amount of throttle when you blip it else it won't work smoothly. The end result is a smooth transition when you downshift cause if you don't blip the throttle a bit, you'll feel the car jerk a bit. Yeah I know it probably puts some wear but I rarely play around with the auto tranny.

I did it in my last autocross when I wanted to downshift from 2nd to 1st on my automatic Corolla. I did the fake "heel-toe" downshift while braking right before I turned in; the transition was very smooth :)

vegabass
04-12-2005, 11:26 AM
thanks guys. U think holding the break down and applying the gas will give me a bit of a kick, i will try it and let u know how it works out. I always thought if i did that, the car would go into a brake stance and the tires would spin, so i never tried it.

thanks alot.

AMG_POWER
04-12-2005, 11:31 AM
You put it in neutral then rev to 3 k and swtich to D!

Shuller1458
04-12-2005, 11:38 AM

^^^^ NEVER DO THAT!!! *no-no*

///MAC
04-12-2005, 11:41 AM
AHAHAHHAHAHA
thats what my friend does on his honda civic, every time he does that, we hear a new sound LOL
AAHHAHA oh man

Chris de la Cruz
04-12-2005, 11:50 AM
hahhaha my buddy did that on his protege5... tranny blew on him at the intersection :D

1BADRIDE
04-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Put the shifter to manual, and tap to 2nd gear. Hold GAS @ WOT while holding brake. When you feel the car load up, shift down to 1st and let go of the brake as soon as 1st grabs.

thinair
04-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Just as a note, don't brake and WOT for more then 10 seconds though, it's a good way to overheat your tranny.

But yes, put the tranny in D (manual 2 in my car will never shift, it'd start in 2nd), step on the brakes, floor it with the brakes on, wait a couple second until you find the tranny stall point (around 2500rpm), then release the brakes. You might get some wheelspin, if so, try at a lower rpm.

SkycityBMW
04-12-2005, 03:31 PM

Nice . . . . Neutral Slam ! ! !

my buddy did that in his old Firebird . . . . Awesome burn out ! ! !

sold car a couple of month later . . . . wonder why . . . lol

Darkness95m3
04-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Put the shifter to manual, and tap to 2nd gear. Hold GAS @ WOT while holding brake. When you feel the car load up, shift down to 1st and let go of the brake as soon as 1st grabs.

Pilot license anyone?

vegabass
04-19-2005, 09:44 PM
NO DROPS, thanks, tried that with my buddies civic and i know what it can do. It nows sits on his driveway with no tranny. LOL.

What does WOT mean?

thinair
04-19-2005, 09:57 PM
^^^^Wide Open Throttle, in other words, floored.

vegabass
04-19-2005, 10:06 PM
thanks. Is this doing to damage the car in ANYway, OR VOID my warranty?

Shuller1458
04-19-2005, 11:23 PM
thanks. Is this doing to damage the car in ANYway, OR VOID my warranty?

You mean Nuteral Drop? Hell yeah, 2-3 lunches like that and you tow your car away on the tow truck.

If Brake Stand (Brake and Gas pedal pressed together in "D" ) you might over heat it and demmage it compleatly, or you can dammage your one-way clutch in stator in your torque converter (well, more like, premature wear.) and even if you destroy your one-way clutch, your tranny will still be quite drivable. ( IF your tranne filter will pick up all the debree, otherwise your tranny (again) is gone)