PDA

View Full Version : E34 Rattling/Shaking Problem...

WdpIan
04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I have a 1995 530i(5-speed manual)
When I start my car up, it shakes and rattles alot. Then when you step on the gas it makes a loud grinding noise kinda.
The Driveshaft/rear diff. also making a bumping noise.
Sometimes it will go away within a few minutes, but then when I park on a hill, or hit the breaks hard, it starts rattling and shaking again.

I just had new engine mounts put in, and I dont think this is the problem.

Could it be the spark plugs? 02 sensor/ MAF?

What could be the problem?, it started to do this during the winter, but I didnt drive it that much...

Gamite
04-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Check your U joint area on the driveshaft. There's a bushing there (forgot the exact name) but it can go as well as the u joint.

GEEE$
04-11-2005, 01:49 PM
I have a 1995 530i(5-speed manual)
When I start my car up, it shakes and rattles alot. Then when you step on the gas it makes a loud grinding noise kinda.
The Driveshaft/rear diff. also making a bumping noise.
Sometimes it will go away within a few minutes, but then when I park on a hill, or hit the breaks hard, it starts rattling and shaking again.

I just had new engine mounts put in, and I dont think this is the problem.

Could it be the spark plugs? 02 sensor/ MAF?

What could be the problem?, it started to do this during the winter, but I didnt drive it that much...

Can any smoke be seen upon startup? When was the car last tuned up? Could be running on one less cylinder. Check your plugs to see if they're fouled. In addition, check your rotor and cap, plug wires etc...to see if they are corroded or cracked anywhere.

G$

WdpIan
04-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Took a ride to my tech today...

What he came up with is that Oil is in the Coils/Spark plug seats, causing it to misfire.
Also, the Fan has three of the blades broken off(throwing off balance), and because of the engine rattling, the fan is hitting something causing the grinding noise.