PDA

View Full Version : Help please...car won't start!!!

myndgone
04-10-2005, 03:27 AM
I was leaving my gf's house tonight and when I got in a car and started it, it felt liek the rpms were going up & down a little...I drive off and 20 secs later the car starts running kind of rough, ENGINE FAILSAFE PROG message comes on and car barely moves...I go into the nearby school parking and park it there, shut it off, go to start it back aain, it wont crank.
Everything's on, the lights are working, but the car wont start!
Had it towed home, and of course its ****ing saturday, so now I'm ****ed.
Not sure what it is or where to take it, gonna have to tow it again, so here's my lovely weekend. And all this after spending 4 1/2 hrs cleaning the damn thing.

Any ideas what this might be?
RevShot?! :D

Thanks!

windwagen
04-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Dumb question...is the battery /connections OK? Obvious for the lack of cranking, but I understand that a weak battery can be the source of driveability problems too.

Keep us posted!

myndgone
04-10-2005, 10:50 AM
not sure if it's the battery, lights are not dim at all, everything works, connections seem fine...but then again, how stupid of me not to try and boost it first...wasnt really thinking at 3am. :mad:

BRAD 82
04-10-2005, 11:35 AM
check your fuses too.... your starter/fuel pump fuses could be blown!
you said you wshed it... did you spray under the hood?

myndgone
04-10-2005, 11:41 AM
i didnt spray under the hood, but some water might have gotten underneath, its possible

myndgone
04-10-2005, 11:45 AM
dumb question...are there any more fuses other than the ones in the trunk?!

BRAD 82
04-10-2005, 12:03 PM
check under the hood or on the drivers side dash. i don't really know that one but look in your fuse box.
because everything is running fine it sounds like a fuse is blown

myndgone
04-10-2005, 12:09 PM
look slike they're in the glove compartment...gonna go check...

myndgone
04-10-2005, 12:41 PM
couldnt find the starter fuse...???

all other ones are ok!

could it be the alternator or starter???
****..what a nice day, too nice for the car to **** up!!!!!!!!!

BRAD 82
04-10-2005, 12:52 PM
not with power...
have you located the starter and fule pump fuses?

myndgone
04-10-2005, 12:55 PM
not with power...
have you located the starter and fule pump fuses?

fuel pump fuses, yes...they're ok!

starter fuse, no clue where it is!

BRAD 82
04-10-2005, 01:03 PM
sorry guy i can't help with the location...

myndgone
04-10-2005, 01:08 PM
no worries, man...thanx anyways!

myndgone
04-10-2005, 09:36 PM
i went to try and start it again, when you turn the key over, there's a light clicking noise, almost like electrical sparkling on the 'black box' (one with fuel rails) located between the airbox and reservoir for windshield washer....is that the fuel pump, or some sort of relay?
my buddy is saying it's the fuel pump...
anyone?!

damn, i know so little about these cars *mumble*

qimis
04-10-2005, 09:42 PM
i'm having the same problem now. try to get another person to start the car, while you're hitting (dont hit too hard !!! you dont wanna make a hole in there) the fuel tank from the bottom of the car. if it starts, then your fuel pump it's getting weak. what you can do temporarily is to try those fuel injector cleaner, they're like $3. wont hurt to try, but it didn't help in my car.

did you run the car until empty tank ? then fill the gas up ?

i hope it helps, good luck.

JazzM
04-10-2005, 09:44 PM
does it crank over? it could be the starter motor if its not cranking at all...

T.

myndgone
04-10-2005, 09:53 PM
turns over, but doesn't crank...

where's the starter located?!

RevShoT
04-10-2005, 09:57 PM
when you say turns over.. do you mean the starter is making the engine turn but your getting no fire?

if thats the case, try and get someone to boost you, im suspecting your alternator is shot... if they can get you started, take the power cable off the battery when the car is running, if the car dies your alternator is no good, if it runs then you know its not the alternator, let it run a few min with the cable off... provided a boost will save you..

my other guess would be the fuel pump, someway to check for that could be on the fuel rail take the hose leading to it off and have a friend crank the motor, if fuel shoots out you know your fuel pump is working!

JazzM
04-10-2005, 10:21 PM
do you have gas in the car?

T.

myndgone
04-10-2005, 10:22 PM
tried boosting, same thing...does nothing...
you turn the key on, lights come on, ding ding, but nothing happens. all the lights are on on the dash, but no action...

myndgone
04-10-2005, 10:23 PM
do you have gas in the car?

T.

3/4s of a tank...filled up yesterday!

RevShoT
04-10-2005, 10:26 PM
tried boosting, same thing...does nothing...
you turn the key on, lights come on, ding ding, but nothing happens. all the lights are on on the dash, but no action...

so basically the starter is not engauging as in it appears there no power to the starter... if it was the fuel pump then it should crank just fine but you get no crank....

myndgone
04-10-2005, 10:28 PM
where's the starter located?

and why would it die while driving? or did something else die as well?!

RevShoT
04-10-2005, 10:33 PM
where's the starter located?

and why would it die while driving? or did something else die as well?!

good call forgot about it while driving

the starter is located under the intake manifold, tucked in away nice and hidden

probally its just one problem, the problem is trying to isolate it

man this is a tough one....

myndgone
04-10-2005, 10:40 PM
come on, dude...you can get it, should be easy for you :D

RevShoT
04-10-2005, 10:43 PM
come on, dude...you can get it, should be easy for you :D

did i start to sputter and chug when u drove it before it died? it really did sound like it was running out of gas (fuel pump died) but when u said now it wont even turn over it adds to the mystery

myndgone
04-10-2005, 11:01 PM
did i start to sputter and chug when u drove it before it died? it really did sound like it was running out of gas (fuel pump died) but when u said now it wont even turn over it adds to the mystery

yes it did..it struggled for a bit, and then the "ENGINE FAILSAFE PROG" message showed up, i drove it on low rpm's into the parkign lot, and shut it off..wouldnt start after that....

RevShoT
04-10-2005, 11:23 PM
yes it did..it struggled for a bit, and then the "ENGINE FAILSAFE PROG" message showed up, i drove it on low rpm's into the parkign lot, and shut it off..wouldnt start after that....

not sure about the 5 series but mabey the code has to be cleared before it will start again?

myndgone
04-10-2005, 11:25 PM
lets say it does..
but why the code?! what caused it? if i get it scanned, will it still throw a code to tell me what happened?!

RevShoT
04-10-2005, 11:33 PM
lets say it does..
but why the code?! what caused it? if i get it scanned, will it still throw a code to tell me what happened?!

if you scaned your ecu it should give you a code and tell us what happened, thats usally what the codes are for!

myndgone
04-10-2005, 11:36 PM
i'll tow it somewhere tomorrow then...****, another towing bill...
i really need to invest in CAA...
wow, i'm starting to think that i made the wrong choice investing in this car..it's been in the shop 4 times in the month and a half period (since i got it), not happy with it anymore...
and it sucks because everywhere you go these days, ppl just want to rip you off...
what a beautiful world we live in.... *th-up*

RevShoT
04-10-2005, 11:40 PM
i'll tow it somewhere tomorrow then...****, another towing bill...
i really need to invest in CAA...
wow, i'm starting to think that i made the wrong choice investing in this car..it's been in the shop 4 times in the month and a half period (since i got it), not happy with it anymore...
and it sucks because everywhere you go these days, ppl just want to rip you off...
what a beautiful world we live in.... *th-up*

i dont rip people off *angel*

i belive u can rent this tool and do it yourself, from what ive herd its pretty self explanatory

myndgone
04-10-2005, 11:47 PM
i know, but you live too far from me...i dont have time to go rent the tool and then scan, and then fix..have to go to work, no time for all this, i wish i did have time...
that's the $hitty part...

JazzM
04-11-2005, 10:32 AM
Take it to Munich Motors; Ask for Mike and tell him that Tom (with the Z3) sent you...

... they are the only independant mechanich in ontario with a full GT One diagnostics unit and can read you ECU as well as program any of your control units. It will take about 5 minutes to correctly diagnose the problem. Take it to them, he won't rip you off. His rate if I recall is 65/hr.

T.

myndgone
04-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Take it to Munich Motors; Ask for Mike and tell him that Tom (with the Z3) sent you...

... they are the only independant mechanich in ontario with a full GT One diagnostics unit and can read you ECU as well as program any of your control units. It will take about 5 minutes to correctly diagnose the problem. Take it to them, he won't rip you off. His rate if I recall is 65/hr.

T.

man, i saw your post too late, car's already gone back to where i got it from, going to try and have them fix this shit...thanx anyways, appreciate it!

just for future reference, where are they located?!

JazzM
04-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Finch and Keel area (73 Alness)

Tel. 416 665 1605

T.

oldskool3
04-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Any updates on the problem?

myndgone
04-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Any updates on the problem?

not yet...i just called, he is bringing the car in now, gonna have a look at it...won't have it til at least tomorrow night, depending on what the **** it is...
this car has been in the shop more than it has been in my parking spot in the last 6 weeks, its amazing how i always get a piece of shit!

anyways, keep you boys updated...

Finch and Keel area (73 Alness)

Tel. 416 665 1605

T.
Thanks, man!!! *th-up*

windwagen
04-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Myndgone...as a service to your buddies here on this board...ya gotta tell us...where did you buy it from?

I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your car :(

myndgone
04-12-2005, 12:32 AM
got it from Etobicoke Motors (Dundas and Scarlett)... *thmbsdwn*

moregothanshow
04-12-2005, 01:06 AM
did u try boosting it straight battery connector to booster car?? without your battery cuz i had that problem and it was my battery connection....
anyhow good luck with that....

myndgone
04-13-2005, 09:40 PM
well, car's still in the shop...buddy's trying to trace some of the wires going from the engine into the car, black and green one (not sure for what and from where they go, i forgot) have no power to them and he's trying to figure out where they go to...BMW has faxed him some schematics but bastards won't give him everything, they want me to drive the car to the dealership..**** that, too late for that, car's been in this shop for 3 days now and it will stay there until its fixed, im not paying for another towing bill...

i'm soooo pissed right now its not even funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

windwagen
04-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Dayammm...that really sux! I hope I never have to go through that with my 5 !!!

myndgone
04-14-2005, 10:32 PM
seems like it's the ignition switch after all....ordered one today, coming in tomorrow morning, if everything goes OK, I should be driving again tomorrow afternoon...
can't ****in wait.... :mad: :D

Dayammm...that really sux! I hope I never have to go through that with my 5 !!!

hope noone has to go through this...ever!

myndgone
04-15-2005, 06:12 PM
this gets better and better every day...

DAY 5...guess it might be the key now, needs to get reprogrammed...wtf!?

Anyways, it's going to the dealership (something I should have done monday morning, but hey...too bad Bruno wasn't around)...
God knows how much this is going to cost and when it will be done and blahblahblah...

I'm REALLY starting to dislike this car....well, at least this part of it.. :mad:
sorry, had to say it!

myndgone
04-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Got my car back!!!! *wiggle*

I had it towed to BMW Mssissauga on saturday after this dude couldn't figure out what was wrong with it (took him 6 days to figure out that he can't figure it out :D ).

It was the $17 DME relay. They replaced it, fired the car back up, it started, ran rough and stalled again. They said it was an outdated DME software, updated it, re-adjusted idle speed to fit in with new software, erased all the codes and now the car is runing ok (so far).

Happy to be able to step on it again, i kind of forgot what it felt like since I haven't had the car for 12 days total *uzi* . Defintely an improvement after driving a '88 Corolla loaner! :D

I'm back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: