PDA

View Full Version : A question about Automatic tranny as well as stick....

lvan
04-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Well I see the most of people here drive stick and I guess it's because you all want better performance. Other than that do you avoid BMW automatic because it's a lot of cash to rebuild one and that's why. I mean is it only from performance wise? I noticed on roadfly bmw forum many e34 owners on 540 have replaced the trannys and niaksil blocks...So I guess to be on safe side you stick to the manual tranny..

Also is it posible for manual tranny to die besides replacing the clutch ? If so how often? Thanks

Ivan

6speedMaxSE
04-08-2005, 01:12 AM
Performance is obviously better in a stick but MPG is better also. I have also heard that repairs on MT is cheaper than AT for any car.

In most other countries, MT is the majority choice even for minivans.

rodo
04-08-2005, 01:29 PM
yah, south america is MT everywhere

V-Thang
04-08-2005, 03:57 PM
remember, AT is still considered a "luxury" feature... back then it cost a lot to get a auto tranny cuz everything was made manual.

lvan
04-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Yes,I know about performance and better on fuel but I had some feeling that people here dont trust automatic bmw tranny. I was trying to determine how often manual tranny would blow comparing to automatic on bmw cars.Does it ever blow besides replacing the clutch?

6speedMaxSE
04-09-2005, 12:08 AM
I can't answer for BMW but I haven't heard good things about AT in Maximas. Regardless of the manuf, if it blows, it'll cost you less in a MT.

NickP
04-09-2005, 12:12 AM
The ZF HP22 is a forward clutch pack burning pile of poo.

http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/AutoGearboxZF4HP22.html