PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers

Gurl Bmw
01-14-2002, 11:14 AM
jUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS GROUND CONTROL
COILOVERS.... I JUST BOUGHT THEM AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD ANY COMMENTS ON THEM?

tHANKS

EMPOWERD
01-14-2002, 02:29 PM
I was running G/C coilovers for years before changing to my OBX ones now.... they are great. The springs are made in-house, but are completely compatible with the ERS system from Eibach (in case you want a custom rate). I have a few friends here in T.O. running G/C and are very happy with them... if you don't mind my asking, how much and where did you get them?

Later Stranger!*wave*

Gurl Bmw
01-14-2002, 02:54 PM
Hey Randy,

Hows everything.....
I hope I like the coilovers... Mike convinced me to buy them...
I am paying $500.00 for them...I have my own struts and shocks..
so it isn't the full kit.

EMPOWERD
01-14-2002, 03:45 PM
GURL,

You're wise to listen you Mike on this one.... they really are a good product. Lucky for you, you DIDN'T buy them at Bavarian Motors..... they would've charged you a whopping $1300.00 (installed).

Randy

djc0ntra
01-14-2002, 06:58 PM
I've heard lots of good things about the ground control coil overs.
I myself got a good deal on a set of racing coilovers with shocks and struts by Sachs for around $750 here in toronto.

They're awsome in my opinion, they look nice, and are very stiff. They came with springs that i believe are similar to m3 ones. I can drop the suspension right to the ground if i wanted to as well...but of course i dont wanna =)

One question though, i need to buy new coilover wrenches, i have lost mine somewhere in the garage...does anybody wanna sell me a set or know where i can pick up some?

(if you want pics of the sachs kit, it's the same ones bekkers.com sells)

TYE
01-14-2002, 09:51 PM
On the GC race kit race kit for the e36:
Race coil-over kit, completely assembled
2 SHORT Koni single adjustable struts in Ground Control shortened strut housings, new bumpstops
2 Ground Control camber / caster adjustable plates
2 SHORT Koni single adjustable rear shocks, new bumpstops, assembled
4 Eibach ERS springs, any racing spring rate (Click here for choices)
2 rear ride height adjusters
2 rear upper shock mounts (assembled)
Options: kingpin angle, bump steer, M3 sway bar bracket

How low can you drop the car?

GR8 Ride
01-14-2002, 10:38 PM
John's running the Grouppe N suspension (TMS), not Ground Control.

The only person I know running any G/C setup in Toronto is Sorenson.

My debate this year is between the G/C race kit or the Grouppe N suspension from TMS.

Personally, I think Jay has the best idea of how to set up a suspension properly.

Pat

GR8 Ride
01-14-2002, 10:52 PM
G/C coilovers, nope.

Grouppe N suspension, unless he's changed it this winter.

650 in-lbs springs in front, 1000 in-lbs springs in the rear.

Jay's G/C rigs are all ERS (Eibach) springs; Grouppe N is H&R Race.

John did mention once that he might have been looking at swapping something out....so it all depends on how recently he may have changed something, if anything.

But he's definately running the G/C camber plates...

Pat

GR8 Ride
01-14-2002, 10:56 PM
my own preference is to go with Ground Control. I still believe that Jay builds about the best suspensions out there, for the relative money.

If one gets into Ohlins, or something purely race dedicated, they're probably superior, but also to the tune of $8000.

Ohlins is *supposedly* coming out with a new, remote reservoir adjustable suspension for BMW E30/E36 (focus on E36). Initial specs are supposed to be three-way adjustable, dedicated reservoir etc.

All in all, looking at a price sub $5000 (CDN), which puts in on par with pricing for a Grouppe N suspension from TMS (okay, with 25% anyway).

If it's performance you're after Rob, I'd suggest going for the Ground Control setup though. For the price, I think it's second to none.

Pat

Gurl Bmw
01-15-2002, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys...
I guess your right... anything is better then APex Springs......

How much of a drop am I going to get though....
I'm not rubbing right now at all, and I am burying the rear tires,
I want to bury the rim now..hehehehe

TYE
01-16-2002, 03:48 PM
Gurl BMW
I have been talking to ground control about the setup I stated above. I do not think you will be able to tuck the rim. They told me at the lowest setting, the distance from middle of the rimn to bottom of the fender is 12" in the front, and 11.7" in the rear. With my current H&R Springs, I am at 12" all around. I have 18s as well. My rear fender sits 1/4 over the tire and the front fender is right above the tire, so not very low at all. As for what H&R springs I have I am not sure, they are blue in color. I am assuming they are an older version of the sport because they are not stiff enough to be race with the amount of lean I get in corners. I am disappointed with the ground control lack of ability to slam the car.

Gurl Bmw
01-16-2002, 04:28 PM
TYE
DId they tell you the total drop that you will get?

Cause I have 19's and I am burying the whole tire
and in the front I am just in line with the top of the tire.
I have never measured them... and my rims are off now.

I hope it will go at least 1/2 inch lower than the springs...

M3ntal Kev
01-16-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Bad-Karma

The only person I know running any G/C setup in Toronto is Sorenson.

What about me? You know me don't you? :)

Gurl,

The GC set is great and offers excellent adjustability. My kit came shipped with ERS springs and I've used the setup at numerous track events with very favourable results.

Kev

GR8 Ride
01-16-2002, 10:08 PM
I didn't know you were running a G/C setup on your car.

Which G/C setup did you go with? The street / track package, or a full out race setup?

G/C shocks, or the Koni package?

NickP
01-16-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by ROB89M3
Whats the lowest G/C will go for e30 M3? I'm looking to buy them for their looks and for their performance. I don't wanna take any performance away from what I have now,will it? I'm running H&R race springs,with Bilstein sport shocks. The shocks will stay,but whats the difference in the springs?

thanx

From friends' experience the Bilstein sports are not the best choice for a coilover setup, no adjustability and not enough rebound...

NickP
01-17-2002, 12:39 AM
WHY?? Are the Bilsteins too firm of a shock for the coilovers???:huh?:

With spring rates of 400/600 inch pounds he found that the Bilstein Sports dampened just fine but couldn't control the rebound - the spring moved up and down a few times after a bump. We're pretty sure it was the shocks, they were relatively new and the problem went away with the Koni's! Usually its his driving that makes people car sick, with the Bilstein sports it was the shocks :puke:

It also may have been that the ride height was too low for the shock -> the shock travel was shortened too much...

PS: I have Bilstein Sports and H&R's on my 325is and love them, great compromise for a daily driver...

EMPOWERD
01-17-2002, 12:41 AM
Rob,

My friend Filippo has G/C coils on his E30 318ic. When he called California, the told him that they have 2 versions for the E30. Don't quote me on this, but the normal goes to 2.5" and the "super low" goes to 4.5" drop (what he chose). The car looks awsome with 18's and nothing rubs with the right offset and tire size, but I must admit that he is now sitting on the shock bump stops (Bilstien Sports) and the ride is harsh. That's the problem with G/C... they make a good setup (spring wise) but there are no available aftermarket shocks that can take that kind of drop. If you truly want to do it absolutely perfect and have the best possible suspension setup for the street on an E30.... get the KW variant 2's. I beleive www.hpamotorsports.com carries them in B.C.

Good Luck and here's a pic of Filippo's car...

NickP
01-17-2002, 12:45 AM
These also look cool... full strut replacements...

http://www.ledasuspension.co.uk/formatsheets/bmwe30.htm

... those adjustment knobs for the shocks are so cool!

NickP
01-17-2002, 12:49 AM
So,which ones are firmer,Konis or Bilstein Sport?

The Koni adjustables can get way firmer than Bilstein Sports... I don't know how the red / yellow Konis compare

NickP
01-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by empowerd
Rob,

My friend Filippo has G/C coils on his E30 318ic. When he called California, the told him that they have 2 versions for the E30. Don't quote me on this, but the normal goes to 2.5" and the "super low" goes to 4.5" drop (what he chose)....

I think there really is one version, they just include / leave out the spring perch where you cut the old one off and weld the new one onto the strut housing.

TYE
01-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Gurl BMW,
The GC I asked about was the race setup thats used shortened and adjustable konis because I track the car. I was told IT WILL NOT SLAM THE CAR! The setup I am ordering is from Bimmer Haus. A guy named Jim who has been revalving and working for
Koni for 25 years and was in charge of their revalving center as well as races 15-20 events a year set me up with a fully custom suspension that will be great on the track, but will also have the ability to slam for shows. The kit is costing me 2100, but it is better than any off the shelf system. That price includes GC camber plates as well. The rear will be able to tuck rim to the point where the tire would hit the top of the inside fender and the front will tuck the tire. I dont plan on going that low at all as I track my car but it will be fun for shows to slam it. THe kit is using 2 1/2" ID Race Springs. This is definitely the best of both worlds and will blow the KW suspension away.

I had KW Variant 2s on my old 90 325IC and I could really slam it! It handled very well but I wanted something even better than it for my E36. As for the KW compared to the GC for the E30, the KW goes lower as my friend has the GC and my e30 was lower.
http://members.roadfly.com/tye/E30.jpg

TYE
01-17-2002, 10:34 PM
If Filipos car Randy pictured has the extreme kit, my car was lower than that at full drop and wasnt riding on the bumpstops.

HaBiTaT
01-18-2002, 01:43 AM
any running on EIBACH COILOVERS? and do you think $475 is a good price.thats with installations too. its for 1989 325i.

EMPOWERD
01-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Filippo's car can go another 1.5" lower than that (for show purposes only) but would be undrivable. The car is already at the limit. As a matter of fact, that picture was taken at Englishtown N.J. after a 7 hour drive from Toronto.

Rob, the G/C might go lower, or may not.... the point is that G/C don't come with shocks and unless you revalve a set of Koni's or Bilstein you'll have a bouncey harsh ride. The KW's have shocks designed for that extreme drop (Variant 2 are adjustable).

TYE
01-18-2002, 05:43 PM
Randy is exactly right about trying to match shocks with the groud control. At its lowest setting, with the KWs I was able to have the factory front spoiler touching the ground. It was the spoiler that was just a black plastic piece, not the one that flowed into the bumper and housed the fog lights.

djbeemer
01-20-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Gurl Bmw
TYE
DId they tell you the total drop that you will get?

Cause I have 19's and I am burying the whole tire
and in the front I am just in line with the top of the tire.
I have never measured them... and my rims are off now.

I hope it will go at least 1/2 inch lower than the springs...
well i dont have GC coilovers but with my KW Variant 2 Coilovers i got
my ride height down 8cm in the front and 5.5cm in the rear
and i can still go upto 12cm :) i could lay the oil pan on the ground
if i wanted to :D

djbeemer
01-21-2002, 08:38 PM
basically yeah but too bad you cant adjust it with a push
of a button.... theres an idea :) dynamically adjustable coilovers :)
rock up to a show hit the button and they wind down to max :)
wanna drive home? hit the button and they wind back up to
your everyday height :)

i wanted to get bags.. but i know next to nothin about them
ie, safety, performance, etc, pros and cons, installation etc...
and i havent been able to come across any info :(