PDA

View Full Version : I Think I Just F*cked Myself...

irvz
03-31-2005, 11:36 PM
i've been storing my car all winter and now that the snow and salt are gone i put my insurance back on my car...well i just went to take my car for a spin when i realized that the parking break has been up the whole season!

now my breaks are stuck and i cant even move..anybody have a solution to this? i was really looking forward to driving it tonight too :mad:

BigD
03-31-2005, 11:39 PM
No worries. You have to break the rust weld loose. Just carefully "force it". It'll still drag after that but then you just accelerate a little and yank the hand brake, release and repeat. And don't do it again. :P If you're scared of breaking something (which you won't) you can jack it up, remove a wheel bolt or two, and empty half a bottle of WD40 in there (exaggeration for effect... lol you get the point). Thankfully BMW handbrakes don't use the real brakes but little drum shoes inside the rear discs.

irvz
04-01-2005, 01:20 AM
thx bud..i'll try it now..i really dying to drive it

BMWF1
04-01-2005, 02:38 AM
defently not that big of a deal, do what BigD said it should clear up after a few KM's of breaking, don't break it to hard at the begining either.

Furious
04-01-2005, 03:54 AM
you could give it a hit with a hammer, it will usually rattle it enough to break the rust up so the car will move.

irvz
04-01-2005, 12:00 PM
thanks for all your help guys...i was able to get the car moving by just rocking it back and forth *carefully*..took some time but i was happy to feel it break free

i was just scared cuz i never experienced it and didn't know anything about it...thx again guys for the info (as usual) *th-up*