View Full Version : I Think I Just F*cked Myself...

03-31-2005, 11:36 PM
i've been storing my car all winter and now that the snow and salt are gone i put my insurance back on my car...well i just went to take my car for a spin when i realized that the parking break has been up the whole season!

now my breaks are stuck and i cant even move..anybody have a solution to this? i was really looking forward to driving it tonight too :mad:

03-31-2005, 11:39 PM
No worries. You have to break the rust weld loose. Just carefully "force it". It'll still drag after that but then you just accelerate a little and yank the hand brake, release and repeat. And don't do it again. :P If you're scared of breaking something (which you won't) you can jack it up, remove a wheel bolt or two, and empty half a bottle of WD40 in there (exaggeration for effect... lol you get the point). Thankfully BMW handbrakes don't use the real brakes but little drum shoes inside the rear discs.

04-01-2005, 01:20 AM
thx bud..i'll try it now..i really dying to drive it

04-01-2005, 02:38 AM
defently not that big of a deal, do what BigD said it should clear up after a few KM's of breaking, don't break it to hard at the begining either.

04-01-2005, 03:54 AM
you could give it a hit with a hammer, it will usually rattle it enough to break the rust up so the car will move.

04-01-2005, 12:00 PM
thanks for all your help guys...i was able to get the car moving by just rocking it back and forth *carefully*..took some time but i was happy to feel it break free

i was just scared cuz i never experienced it and didn't know anything about it...thx again guys for the info (as usual) *th-up*