PDA

View Full Version : what needs to be done when selling a car?

King Luis
03-30-2005, 07:08 PM
so i'm selling my old car.
what do i need to do when i sell it to the person?
thanks.

Jari
03-30-2005, 09:14 PM
If you're selling it AS IS, all you need to do is pick up a UVIP (used vehicle information package) from a ministry licensing office. When the deal is made, fill out the information on the uvip, sign it, then fill out the "seller" details on the vehicle portion of your ownership.

If you're selling it certified, and e-tested, you obviously need those 2 documents as well.

ps. if you sell as is, its sometimes wise to have the buyer sign a document stating he's buying the vehicle as is, with no warranty.

King Luis
03-30-2005, 09:32 PM
thanks btw.....how much is the UVIP???
i'm selling as is.

T.Dot_E30
03-30-2005, 10:06 PM
I always thought it was the buyers responsibility to get that package, I remember I did when we bought my car, but im no pro on buying and selling cars. I believe it was $25, but that was a few years ago, so prices may have gone up, like everything the government offers these days

BigD
03-30-2005, 10:22 PM
I always thought it was the buyers responsibility to get that package, I remember I did when we bought my car, but im no pro on buying and selling cars. I believe it was $25, but that was a few years ago, so prices may have gone up, like everything the government offers these days

Yup. The UVIP is like a Carfax, buyer beware type of thing. If the buyer trusts you you can just take his money, fill out the green slip and sign it. He can do the rest (has to go to the licensing orifice).

thinair
03-30-2005, 11:47 PM
First and fore most, drive the hell out of the car. Make sure the e-brake works while cornering, that 1st gear can be engaged at 70km/h, that the car can drive down a flight of stairs. You have to make sure it's safe before selling it right. :P

Jari
03-31-2005, 07:13 AM
It's the sellers responsibility. It costs around $20-30.

E30rulz
03-31-2005, 09:37 AM
Seller is not required to do anything. Safe to write up a piece of paper with the serial number and price...both signatures. Buyer can get the package with the serial number.
Basically...minimum...buyer needs your signed Vehicle Portion of ownership...and a signed piece of paper stating the price.
When the buyer gets the Kit and registers the change of title...he will pay 8% based on the Average Wholesale value stated in the buyer kit. Obviously, he'll need a safety and perhaps a E test depending on year.
Good luck.

AMG_POWER
03-31-2005, 09:44 AM
seller must do lots of burnouts and filme it... then give the car to the buyer.

Jari
03-31-2005, 07:22 PM
From the MTO website: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/vehicle.htm#used5

The private seller of a used motor vehicle is required to purchase a Used Vehicle Information Package. For most transfers of vehicles between private sellers, a UVIP is mandatory. Unless the types of vehicle and transfer situations are exempt, the seller is required to supply the purchaser with this package at the time of sale. The purchaser must then present the UVIP to the Driver and Vehicle Licence Office when transferring the vehicle registration. One example of an exemption to this package are transfers between linear family members (excluding siblings). Linear family members have been defined as father, mother, step-mother, step-father, spouse, grandfather, grandmother, son, daughter, step-son, step-daughter, step-grandson, step-granddaughter, grandson, granddaughter, mother-in-law, father-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law. For further information on possible exemptions, please contact the ministry at 1-800-387-3445 or in Toronto at 416-235-2999.

How much does a UVIP cost?
This package costs $20.00, payable by Visa or MasterCard.

What information do I need to get a UVIP?
You need the vehicle identification number (VIN) or the licence plate number of the vehicle in question.

King Luis
03-31-2005, 10:45 PM
well...i sold it as is and the damn guy tried to pay less and less every damn time..what a bastard.