PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Tranny...can anybody help?

E30rulz
03-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Just checkin cuz a lot of you seem pretty knowledgeable....my brother and I picked up his 74 911sc from the shop in Toronto yesterday. Mechanic said it didn't like 2nd gear. Well...not 2 miles from the shop it sticks in 4th...we nurse it another 70 miles....still stuck in 4th. We get litterally 2 miles from his house and I witness it come to a screatching halt...full rear lock-up...stops in 15 feet from 70 kph. (LOL)....nice!
Any clues as to what to look for in the tranny? Obviously we have to pull it. Just wondering if we should be thinking about a repair or replacement. Anybody here know of a Porsche Manual tranny cheap? or a competant rebuilder? Our confidence level in the unmentionable mechanic has fallen too low for a return consultation. Me...I prefer to dig around in E30s...not 3rd reich pancake engines.
Holla back...thanks in advance.

1BADRIDE
03-30-2005, 10:53 AM
As long as the casing is not damaged, I would go with a complete rebuild. Unfortunately, I have no recommendations as far as shops go.

Good luck!

E30rulz
03-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanx...we have to pull it and look, obviously. We're up for shop recommendations. We'll prolly find a clutch bolt in the gears...LOL. In defense of the mechanic...he wasn't paid to look at the tranny. Still...if it were me, I would have told the customer a week ago about the gear problem(had it for 2.5 wks),not when he picks it up. There was money to be had there. And it had an oil leak...more money to be made. How does a mechanic let that stuff slide? ....(mumble)...grrrr