PDA

View Full Version : Annoying squeaking in the rear passenger side...???

myndgone
03-29-2005, 11:39 PM
This is driving me nuts...it is so loud, it can be heard when going over even a little bump...squeaky noise coming from the rear passenger side.
when you push the rear end down you can hear it quite clearly... :mad:

is it the rubber piece in the strut that needs to be lubricated?
or is it something worse (liek struts/shocks, whichever this car has)?

thanks!

btw, i have a '99 540i, if that helps! :cool:

Darkness95m3
03-30-2005, 06:49 AM
I would guess the bushings but it's hard to tell without hearing it.
If you take the vehicle to a dealership they will charge you min $95 just to see the car.
Your best bet would be get a spray bottle with water or better WD40 and spray the bushing one at a time and push on the car if you hear a squeak spray another bushing until it you find the squeak.

myndgone
03-30-2005, 08:52 AM
will try that, thanks!

myndgone
03-30-2005, 05:29 PM
How many bushings are there per side? I lubed the control arm bushing, is there anything else?
still squeaking... :mad:

BMWF1
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
Defently bushing, probably cracked or something happened to me, happens all the time on BMW's/

myndgone
03-30-2005, 06:28 PM
its all rusted, you can see it...

how much is it to replace one?
is alignment needed?

abc12
03-30-2005, 09:56 PM
hhhmm seems like it's ur rear ball joints

myndgone
03-30-2005, 11:05 PM
hhhmm seems like it's ur rear ball joints

are you sure they make a squeaking noise while driving?? :confused:

abc12
03-31-2005, 06:51 AM
are you sure they make a squeaking noise while driving?? :confused:

well sounds like it from what he's telling us, since he mention it squeaks going over bumps, and when it's stationary, it squeaks as well when he pushes down onto the car.

but who knows, just a thought

myndgone
03-31-2005, 12:45 PM
well i took it to my friend's shop, lifted the car up on the hoist, everything seemed ok...put it back down and NOISE IS GONE!
WTF?
Drove it for 2 minutes and noise came back on...cant figure out where it's coming from... :confused:

BRAD 82
03-31-2005, 01:06 PM
bearing in mind i have an e36 so i am nor 100% sure on how simular or suspensions are.

sounds to me like it is the bushing on the trailing arm. this arm goes toward the front end and mounts up near the side of the car. it sounds like the bushing has come out and needs to be replaced or repressed back in to the arm.
if you have checked that and it looks fine then it could also be the top of the strut there is a bushing that tends to go.

good luck and keep us updated!!

myndgone
03-31-2005, 01:19 PM
bushing is there though...seems in pretty good condition...
but the noise is coming from the trailing arm for sure, we checked it with the stethoscope but its hard to tell where exactly...

gonna go back in his shop for an oil change and a damn annoying power steering reservoir leak and then we will try and take it apart and maybe lube it up a bit...
my rear rotors are rusted and need to be replaced as well as pads, would that cause the squeak of any sort?!

BRAD 82
03-31-2005, 01:22 PM
that can cause a noise but i can see that causing you your grief. my best guess would be the arm. one of the bushings is gone or has popped out!

myndgone
03-31-2005, 01:26 PM
is it possible to take it apart and check?
would it be possible to replace just the bushing instead of the whole arm?

BRAD 82
03-31-2005, 02:20 PM
i was told that on the e36 it is possible you just have to go to a shop with a press. but i am not sure for your car.

but take another look when u get your oil change done.
also if you can get your car on a dual stage hoist. one that they use for alignments etc..

myndgone
03-31-2005, 02:35 PM
see what happens saturday...

how bad is it to drive it liek this?!

SkycityBMW
03-31-2005, 02:45 PM
here's a DIY: http://www.understeer.com/lcab.shtml

myndgone
03-31-2005, 02:57 PM
is it the same procedure for E39?!

SkycityBMW
03-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Good question . . dunno . . . I would assume so . . . check the pics . .

bimmerod
03-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Same problem with my E36 ... I think.
Seems to want to steer from the back when turning right.
Clunking over speed bumps. Jacked it up and the suspension stayed expanded until I pushed down on the car and it went down with a clunk. Could this make it pull to one side as well?

myndgone
03-31-2005, 03:40 PM
mine doesn't clunk though..at all..just squeaks, like 2 metal parts rubbing...
doesn't pull to the side either...

SkycityBMW
03-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Here's another DIY with better pics http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200815

I would say yes . . bimmerod

bimmerod
03-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks Skycity BMW. I've been wondering about this all Winter. Need to get my summer car out of the garage and figure this out.
Are these symtoms as well? A faint smell of rubber (wheel out of alignment to other tires?) on the driver's rear after hard highway driving. I can hear it squeaking when I get out. This is beside the exhaust, but the inner sidewall of the tire is cool to touch.

ara325
03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Clunking over speed bumps. Jacked it up and the suspension stayed expanded until I pushed down on the car and it went down with a clunk. Could this make it pull to one side as well?

sounds like my car did before i changed the cross-member mounts...that don't sound like the problem tho.

bimmerod
03-31-2005, 04:21 PM
When you say mounts, you mean the mounts that are welded to the floor and prone to breaking on earlier cars? (Mine is a 95 E36) Even with only 130K I'm tempted just to change all of the rubber/plastic bushings and start from scratch.

ara325
03-31-2005, 08:59 PM
When you say mounts, you mean the mounts that are welded to the floor and prone to breaking on earlier cars? (Mine is a 95 E36) Even with only 130K I'm tempted just to change all of the rubber/plastic bushings and start from scratch.

i don't know for sure, i'm not a mechanic, but i believe it supports the rear suspension, linkage, ride, bullshit..hahahaha :D all i know is that after i had mine changed, my car:

stopped clunking when shifting in and/or out of gearsstopped clunking when pushing down from the outside
the ride felt softer, as though more 'on clouds'
turned sharper

night and day difference *th-up*

RevShoT
04-01-2005, 07:30 AM

that is your subframe sloshing around because you have either torn your subframe or ripped your bushings for the subframe into nothing

suggest immidiate action!

ara325
04-01-2005, 09:46 AM
that is your subframe sloshing around because you have either torn your subframe or ripped your bushings for the subframe into nothing

suggest immidiate action!

what could cause that? is it an issue with e30's?

bimmerod
04-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Visually, I see nothing

BRAD 82
04-01-2005, 02:31 PM
did you put it up on a hoist to look???

myndgone
04-02-2005, 01:23 PM
well, it seemed liek the big long bolt (trailing arm one) was making the noise, took it out, greased a little, it was ok for a couple hrs but the squeaking came back again! :mad:

new trailing arm maybe? :confused:

ara325
04-02-2005, 01:25 PM
^^i don't envy you, that's for sure *th-up*

windwagen
04-11-2005, 11:25 PM
Myndgone...did you figure this out yet? My 540 did the same thing last year...After tons of pissing around and driving with my head out the window, I found out that the source of the squeak was the parking brake shoes! They would move around a bit going over small bumps and SqueaK! I took off the real brake rotors and lubed up where the shoes rest on the "backing plate" with Anti Seize...Squeak gone!

myndgone
04-12-2005, 12:29 AM
interesting...i was 100% sure it was coming from there but they kept convincing me otherwise :D

i will definitely try that, i couldnt even take the wheel off because i had some stupid wheel locks and no key, so now i drilled that out and wanted to go this week, but what do you know, my car stalled and wont start and now its in the shop... *thmbsdwn*

i'll deal with the squeak when i get my car...whenevr that is *sad*

thanx though!

myndgone
04-30-2005, 11:07 AM
well, Charlie says its the rear ball joint that squeaks..so we'll go with that one! :D