PDA

View Full Version : 2001 330ci

automadness
03-28-2005, 07:17 PM
the dealer recomends you change the oil at 20-24km what do you guys think about that and how about time also if it takes you 2-3 yrs to put on that many kms will the oil still be ok? and that sounds a bit high the amount of kms?

mmpower
03-28-2005, 07:25 PM
the dealer recomends you change the oil at 20-24km what do you guys think about that and how about time also if it takes you 2-3 yrs to put on that many kms will the oil still be ok? and that sounds a bit high the amount of kms?

Hell No!!!!! I've never followed any recommendations from any dealer or car manufacturer for an oil change. I've always changed my oil between 4-6K.

That's my suggestion!!!

alexm520
03-29-2005, 12:21 AM

I have 330Ci 2003 which is also a low milleage car (12 - 14K/yr). I do one unscheduled oil change (pay myself) half way between the official oil services as recommended by the car's computer; which typically comes out about once a year. I don't reset the car's computer after the unscheduled oil changes.

Keep in mind that we need to put synthetic engine oil which last much longer than natural (dino) oil. You don't need to change it every 4-6K as with the natural oil. The biggest reason people change oil BEFORE BMW's recommended 20-25K is because the OIL Filter will never last 20K+ miles even if BMW oil MAY last 20K+.

Alex

grossi
03-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Alexm520 summed it up perfectly. Too add to this thread, I personally change my oil roughly every 4K. I also use Mobil 1, as opposed to the recommend Castrol Synthetic.

nvr2much
03-29-2005, 06:38 PM
I just go by the dealer and my car still runs top notch... why do you think they put millions of man hours into developing these cars..... so you don't have to think ...

donkeyto1
03-29-2005, 06:42 PM
If I was leased it would be every 24K. I purchased so 12K it is.

T.Dot_E30
03-29-2005, 06:42 PM
I just go by the dealer and my car still runs top notch... why do you think they put millions of man hours into developing these cars..... so you don't have to think ...

ya no need to think, jus bring it into the dealer :idea:

Jorg
03-29-2005, 07:09 PM
I just talked about this topic with my service manager. He told me that there is quiet some slutch built up after long oil change intervals. His recommendation was that if I do not keep the car for along time, he would stick to the BMW recommendation, but if I intended to keep the cars for many years, he would double up on the oil changes. I am sure that is very good advise. An Oil change is still cheap "insurance.
Jorg

automadness
03-29-2005, 09:09 PM
oh yah also what do u think about royal purple motor oil? and do you guys use bmw filters? i heard amsoil is not that great so im gonna run royal purple

bimmer_02
04-10-2005, 02:34 PM
iv spoke to someone in bmw and they told me that same " if ur keeping the car, then ur much better off doing the oil change every 12k-14k" but i dont reset the computer if its not a scheduled oil change, because theres still an oil SERIVCE to be done.

and its not really logical to change the oil every 4k - 6k on these cars, thats just a waste of money, the oil is still clean so theres no point. (not all cars, just the new bmws that use that sythetic oil ofcourse)

Moocamooca
04-11-2005, 11:49 AM
12k is a reasonable time to change the oil. It really depend how you drive your car. 4-6k is a waste of money. 25k is really too long. 25k is for people that drive very easy on it.

Axxe
04-16-2005, 03:00 PM
FYI, even if sythetic oil lasts 25k, all the additives in it and the oil filter are only good for around 12-14k. If you bought the car, change it more often, if it's a lease, then change it as recommended. It's their can of worms after anyway.

Moocamooca
04-16-2005, 03:46 PM
haha, sometimes I feel sorry for the one that pick up a least car.