PDA

View Full Version : Z3 Common Failures

Nova_craft
03-27-2005, 10:58 PM
I am loking at finally getting myself a Z3. I've found one that particularly appeals, but I would like some input as to common problems I should be watching for. The car I am looking at has the 3.0 six in it, and looks great.

Your input is appreciated.

Chris

ZiMMie
03-27-2005, 11:03 PM
nice to see u join. Hopefully someone with a z3 can help u out.
Welcome to Max *wave*

Nova_craft
03-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Thanks Zimme - Now where are all these people and their Z3's?

maxx318i
03-30-2005, 12:12 AM
I know 2 guys who own a 1.9 and a 2.5 Z3s.. and a few who owned them. Haven't heard anything.. as long as you take care of it.. no probs.

Alezone
03-30-2005, 12:36 AM
hm... I don't have a problem at all. Z3 series is SOLID.

and like maxx said, if you take care of the car, you'll need regular maintenence, no failures.

crusher
03-30-2005, 01:12 AM
i agree... 94,000km and going strong :)

Nova_craft
03-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Doing research elsewhere, I have read that with the fuel tank mounted so low it is prone to damage from road debris or hard bottoming. Is there truth to that? I honestly haven't checked out the mounting/positioning on the fuel tanks, and find it hard to believe that Transport Canada would allow cars on the road that will have gas tanks failing all over the place. Kinda dangerous.

Apart from fuel tanks and the odd electronics glitch, I'm thinking these cars sound just like what the doctor ordered... See you on the highway!

SpudBoy
04-05-2005, 05:31 PM
late addition. Advance welcome to the Z family. I've had no failures so far but then again I do drive like a granny *angel*

most of the time :D

BMWags
04-21-2006, 11:31 PM
i need to bump this....im doin research for a buddy whos looking for a Z car, is it realistic to find good ones in the $15k-$18k range?

what are the known issues with these cars?, anyone with input, plz holla at me

BMWF1
04-22-2006, 02:03 AM
Welcome fellow Zee owner.

Here is what to look for when looking at a Z, take out the carpet in the trunk along with the trunk kit (2 screws) and inspect for anything that looks like a rip, you see a rip there, stay away from that, cause Zee's have a thing with their subframes. Other then that its a rock solid car, I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything less then a MZ4....once you go roady you don't go back...

15-18K you'll find some 1996/7 4 bangers with K's on it, might get one with a 6 but probably looking at ruff shape......you have to remember that this isn't a E30 or E36 with parts floating around everywhere. Parts are pricey because these cars are limited in production so they keep their value, and are harder to find.

I spent 8 months looking for mine, till finally found what i was looking for. I went with the 2002 as there are some variations between 1996-1999 and 2000-2002. The 2k's have a wider ass (i personally love the wider ass), along with all white clear corners all around, I believe the convertables began to come with power up/down in the later years, mine is power, along with DSC and some other things. Chrome Rings in the Headlights and Cluster is stock. I jumped on the 2k+ because you figure everyone is modifing there cars and changing their lights for clear indicators, and red/white tails, and all that crap....i figured i'd just buy a car that came with all that .... plus warranty.

Good luck, The Z is a amazing car, Roady or Clown shoe, can't really go wrong.

BMWags
04-22-2006, 11:58 AM
thank you for ur help sir....seems like the decent ones are running ~ $21000

i think they look great, but in the $15k-$18k range, should prolly stick to an e36/e46

BMWF1
04-22-2006, 01:35 PM
well now a days you can pick up a really nice e36 for 15 and you can find a nice e46 for 17/18 ... the thing is that E36/46 are everywhere, hense the big price drop for the cars. But to be honest test drive one and perhaps start saving up, or get the bank to help you out with the few extra bucks.

I've had mine for almost a year and i still get giddy everytime, one of the only cars i've owned that hasn't warn off its new car feel, in my mind that is.

as we all know on the Sex scale
Z>E46>E36

crusher
04-22-2006, 10:23 PM
That pretty much sums it up.. If your looking for the Coupe.. another common problem is the trunk latch.. most of the time the plastic that holds the rods breaks easily..

Shark
04-23-2006, 01:11 AM
I have my for five years now, and still going strong (knock on wood)

BMWags
04-23-2006, 01:56 AM
guys, thanks for all of your help

hopefully i will get to own one someday too!....untill then...its e30 which i see didnt make BMWF1's sex scale :(

Axxe
04-24-2006, 10:26 AM
The only disadvantage to Z3's is the fact that they use the dated E30 rear semi trailing arm suspension, which adds a lot of camber when lowered. That also explains why the Z's are so similar to E30's in handling dynamics and tail-happiness. Solid cars *th-up*

JazzM
04-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Rear subframe, rear subframe, rear subframe! LOL

That's the place to look at the most, especially where the diff attaches to the trunk floor (ala single ear). Due to a loose rear subframe bushing the rear subframe causes the trunk floor to tear. The best fix for that is to install urithane subframe bushings which reduce that stress. Especially on the more powerfull 3.0L.

Good luck and hope it works out well!

T.

///Mmm good
04-26-2006, 10:14 AM
i picked up a 2000 m roadster last sept. for $19500 with 66000 miles. have had no probs yet. only bad spot is the glove box, seems to be hanging low when closed. other than that it great and loads of fun.