PDA

View Full Version : wheel offset (again)

318daily
08-31-2002, 11:15 AM
Hello.

I have an E30 and have been looking for wheels but the whole offset thing is concerining me.

Ideally I would like to get a 17 x 7 rim
but most of these rims have a 40mm offset. My stock BBS wheels have a 20mm.

I hear if go with a 40mm offset wheel then i'll need to get an 10 - 20 mm spacer.

Has anyone tried a 17" rim with the 40mm offset on an E30 ? The tires i'm planning to go with are probably 205/40 17

Thanks.

btw, has anyone checked out autovogue.com ? they're in the U.K. But they make a replica E36 //M3 wheel that is drilled out to the 4 x 100 boltpattern. It looks soooooo darn good on an E30, but having them shipped from overseas will be $$$.

Tracer
09-01-2002, 12:41 AM
Dont get spacers. They extend the length of the axle. You may think its a very small amount, but it actually stresses the axle in towards the center and may cause problems in the future. My dad ordered me a set of wheels, they said they didnt need spacers. They mounted them yesterday and they said i needed spacers. My dad told them to take them off and give his money back. We decided to just get tires, and when winter is over he's going to spend more money on a set of 17" chromes. We had the motegi mr7's in chrome mounted but they needed spacers due to the 40mm offset my dad tried tellin the guy about.

Well thats all i have to say!

Tracer

BMW BMXer
09-01-2002, 02:55 AM
I have 15's with 33 offset its really close to my strut tube, you can only fit like a piece of paper in there..