PDA

View Full Version : noob here with a few questions

pimpedout97x
03-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Hey guys. Ok, my mom has a 97 528i. theres a few problems, she's takin it to a few diff ppl. and they never seem to fix it.

first off, the brakes squeak every time she stops. weve changed the brake pads like 3 times, still squeaks. any suggestions of ones to use or how to stop the squeak?

second, when the car is running, it makes like this whistling noise...i have no clue what it could be. if anyone knows, please let me know.

thanks for anyone who can help me.

PS- is the bolt pattern for a 97 528i 5x120mm? she wants to get rims from a newer bmw instead of her ugly 15's that make the car look older. maybe like some 18s from a 2003 or something.

thanks again. *th-up*

EDIT- i also forgot, the stock radio, the volume knob just stoped working. it still turns the radio off and on, but doesnt control the volume. she has to use the steering wheel controls. thanks again.

Quack
03-28-2005, 10:31 AM
1st - it might be that your rotors are overheated or scorched

2nd - I need more info, does this happen when you first start your car or when it
heats up?

yes the bolt pattern is 5x120mm

pimpedout97x
03-28-2005, 12:56 PM
it makes the whistling noise after it warms up. ill see if i can get a vid when she gets home today. thanks for your help btw. also do u know anything about the radio? thanks

Rush
03-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Is she using aftermarket break pads?
I'm having the whistling problem as well ... sometime it's on, sometimes it's off and it doesn't seem like it's coming from the window(s) ... I can't figure it out.

pimpedout97x
03-28-2005, 09:33 PM
when we got the car, the breaks squeaked. we changed the pads and the rotors and everything. still did it. so we used a different brand, still squeaks. shes pretty much gave up on the breaks cause theres like no hope lol

Fern
03-31-2005, 06:40 PM
are you sure the whistling noise isn't the belts.

The belts could cause an intermitent noise similar to whistling.

windwagen
04-28-2005, 01:27 AM
Whistling- here's a longshout. Are he jack pads in place? One of mine fell off after jacking the car, and it made a weird wind noise. Took me a while to figure it out.