PDA

View Full Version : welding cylinder heads......

petevw
03-26-2005, 01:31 PM
i need a good shop to weld/repair a cylinder head. it has to be done right! money is not a concern, and quality/craftmanship is.

if anyone knows or has a contact please post or PM me.

thanks,

suicide
03-26-2005, 02:05 PM
y would u weld a head... y dont u just get a new one

petevw
03-26-2005, 02:29 PM
The head that was hurt, is one of a pair. Replacing it would be very expensive, as it is heavily modded.

thinair
03-26-2005, 03:43 PM
money is not a concern, and quality/craftmanship is.
Replacing it would be very expensive, as it is heavily modded.

Sounds like a contradiction. j/k :P

I understand what you mean. What is wrong with the head, it's cracked?? You want it welded then machined?? Where is it cracked.

petevw
03-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Sounds like a contradiction.
I understand what you mean. What is wrong with the head, it's cracked?? You want it welded then machined?? Where is it cracked.

i guess it sounds like a contradiction. :cool:

well the head lifted off of the cylinder and burned a hole to the outside in between the fins. its from a aircooled VW. it will have to be welded/filled and the combustion camber bored. the other chambers will have to be matched on its flycut depth to the same cc's. the head lifted due to high cylinder pressures. motor set at 11:1 and revs freely to 8000+rpm. i will be replacing the chromoly 8mm studs with raceware 10mm studs to cure that problem. so i'm asking who welds cylinder heads? race heads? i can get the machining done if its a problem.

i realize this is a bimmer forum. i had a Dakar e36 M3, and was a lurker. this VW kept up/pulled it. its been a toy/hobby of mine. i hate asking for the help on the VW in this forum, but nobody does this sort of thing up here.

to give you an idea: new aftermarket heads with unshrouded bigger valves, matched chamber cc's, ported/polished, and matched to the intakes are $1700US + to get them here from Cali.

i will try and get pics of the damage, these are from the build for reference:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/petevw/72%20super/superflo48x38_1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/petevw/72%20super/headcylspcr.jpg

M50E30
03-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Kars & Trucks in Toronto.....if he is still around.

petevw
04-06-2005, 01:50 AM
I've worked with Steve at Kars N Trucks before, and he can weld aluminum well. But, this repair requires a shop to remove the seats, throw it in a oven, and bring it up to temp, to get proper penetration when welding. I found a VW shop near the Kirby/Bowmanville area, that has the resources to weld and the tools to machine the head. Thanks to everyone that PM'd me.

here's a pic of the damage:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/petevw/parts/superflo1.jpg

those seats are machined into each other(siamese'd).

Bigbore
04-06-2005, 02:12 AM
karsntrucks.. yea they are still around... and yea they will rip you off anytime they can still.

i posed as a "uninformed" car dude twice to them. lol christ the stuff they were feeding me was almost making me laugh. One of the questions i asked was, can i make a 8v head into a 16v head, and his reply was YES! lol OOOOOKAY buddy. (i wasnt talking about swapping heads either)

lol not to mention a million other things i did it cause i wanted to see if what people have said about them is true or not.

petevw
04-06-2005, 02:36 AM
^^ I bet he could make that 8V into a 16V. He's pretty bright! all the Porsche guru's said you couldn't turbo a mechanical injected 2.7L RSR spec motor, let alone drive it on the street. he took apart and modded the timed mechanical pump, and with his own designed 3D cam he got the fuel delivery to work. I bet a few of you can remember that old VW bus killing it.
His lated project was a turbo 3rotor periphial(sp?) port, slide valve'd Rx-7. It will show up at some events this summer.
In my opinion, the craziest piece of machinery he built/fabbed was a supercharged 2-STROKE 2L 4cyl that started as a stock vw bus block. Making his own cylinder heads, cylinders with transfer ports, pistons, and expansion chambers. that kid is really smart.
on the biusness side of things, that is a different story.

RevShoT
04-06-2005, 04:31 AM
I've worked with Steve at Kars N Trucks before, and he can weld aluminum well. But, this repair requires a shop to remove the seats, throw it in a oven, and bring it up to temp, to get proper penetration when welding. I found a VW shop near the Kirby/Bowmanville area, that has the resources to weld and the tools to machine the head. Thanks to everyone that PM'd me.

IMO looks like its going to be an expensive job, you want to fill the hole via welding it? thats going to be tough cause its

A. aluminum
B. a big hole and the heat from welding it could potentiall damage the surounding area cause you need to "blob" the burned hole

MarkD
04-07-2005, 06:03 PM

Try calling Paul or Ric at Weston Cylinder Head Supply, 416-665-3038.

Ric also runs a wheel refinishing service called Precision Rim Repair out of the same location. Here is the website: www.rim-repair.com

I was there today and found out that they fix wheels for many BMW dealers.
This is where I'll be sending any wheels I need repairing in the future.

MarkD

///Maluco
04-07-2005, 06:15 PM
try:
Peter's Garage
5 Robert Street,
Toronto, ON
M5S 2K2
416-924-8219

They're into water cooled VW's and may know the place you need.
They are down off College, 1 street west of Spadina.