PDA

View Full Version : Donuts and Burnout

Shark
03-23-2005, 02:44 AM
All cars that I have driven have been manual. Once and a while, I have the craving of doing a few donuts in an empty parking lot or at a stoplight, light up the tires. I was looking at a 1999 E46, but unfortunately itís an automatic. I was wondering, can you do a donuts or burn the tires, in an automatic car???

330DTM
03-23-2005, 03:01 AM
All cars that I have driven have been manual. Once and a while, I have the craving of doing a few donuts in an empty parking lot or at a stoplight, light up the tires. I was looking at a 1999 E46, but unfortunately itís an automatic. I was wondering, can you do a donuts or burn the tires, in an automatic car???

Yes it is very possible to do so.

If you want to do burnouts or peelouts, then you can do the brake-stand method rather than doing the neutral drop, which isn't transmission friendly. Brake-stand burn/peelouts is where you use the left foot to hold the brake pedal and the right foot to control the accelerator pedal. Just hold the brakes and hit the accelerator pedal till the tires start spinning, but make sure you hold the brakes down enough so that the car won't move forwards at first.

Gamite
03-23-2005, 03:03 AM
hold on, you're going to base your buying decision on whether you can do donuts and burnouts in the car? Aren't there more important factors?

Darkness95m3
03-23-2005, 07:28 AM
hold on, you're going to base your buying decision on whether you can do donuts and burnouts in the car? Aren't there more important factors?

This is to much. I agree.

Quack
03-23-2005, 09:29 AM
I did a burnout in my car last year, wasn't big though but I did it, also risk the chance of blowing your tranny, and besides if you get a car with enough power it doesn't matter if it's auto or stick

Mystikal
03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Neutral drops are also impossible on newer models, in neutral the ECU holds the revs at 2500 IIRC. That loaner car got saved...

Brake stands are possible in 325i's, not in 320i's. Don't ask how I know.

Shark
03-24-2005, 01:53 AM
Iím not basing my decision on buying the car on doing burnouts or donuts. I was just wondering, if I can do it or not. Sorry about the miscommunication.

Bliss
03-24-2005, 02:00 AM

Oh god...remind me when you leave the house so i can stay inside, in the safety of my own home. :D

Axxe
03-24-2005, 03:04 AM
540i's take to brake stands very well. Just make sure the tires are ready to be sacrficed lol.

RevShoT
03-24-2005, 08:35 AM
how is everyone pulling off burn outs with 4 wheel disc brakes?

SickFinga
03-24-2005, 08:42 AM
rear brakes are much weaker, thats how.

E30rulz
03-24-2005, 09:13 AM
I'm with Axxe....make sure your tires are ready to be sacrificed. The heat of normal "enthusiastic" driving...any tire heat, in fact...post cures your tires. Burnouts, donuts and brake stands only amplify this condition. Your tires gradually get harder and turn into hockey pucks. Each time you are making your tires harder and harder, let alone peeling off reams of compound. In fact...not that these are your tires...but Potenza 950's get hard real fast. Food for thought....comes down to budget I guess.

Gamite
03-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Iím not basing my decision on buying the car on doing burnouts or donuts. I was just wondering, if I can do it or not. Sorry about the miscommunication.

ah ok, u just left a weird impression when I read your first post.

koncise
03-24-2005, 04:03 PM
my car doesnt seem to rev past 2500 or so when i'm holding the break... isnt that how its supposed to be?? cuz i've never been able to do a standing burnout in the dry

Mystikal
03-24-2005, 04:54 PM
my car doesnt seem to rev past 2500 or so when i'm holding the break... isnt that how its supposed to be?? cuz i've never been able to do a standing burnout in the dry

Yes, yes it is.

I'd like to spearhead your burnout project, please bring me the keys and step back.

Blades
03-24-2005, 04:55 PM

probably but it would be gay

Axxe
03-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Yes, yes it is.

I'd like to spearhead your burnout project, please bring me the keys and step back.

Haha!! I couldn't do it with my E30 when it was auto, and with a little bit of trickery and some motivation the automatic blew up lol. That's the only way I could have justified the cost of the 5spd swap. That and the fun factor lol.