PDA

View Full Version : Intake systems Illegal in Ontario

sloveniaboy
03-21-2005, 12:42 PM
I've herd from friends and just recently on another forum that aftermarket intakes that aren't enclosed (just an open cone) are illegal in Ontario and you can be served a $110 ticket, I searched and coudn't find anything about this on maxbimmer so just wanted to let you guys know...if anybody has more info plz post up...

j23chan
03-21-2005, 01:03 PM
You are correct on that one. My roomate's brother is a cop and he says open style intakes are illegal because it is possible for the air going into the intake to come back out which will contain unburnt gas. This violates an ontario pollution law or something. All intakes must be in a closed housing for you to not get a ticket.

Im not too sure what the exact actual amount of the ticket is. I've heard sometimes they go up to like 300. The prime spot to get caught is during darknights on mccowan/14.. coppers just stand on the sidewalk waving all the modded cars into a parking lot... It's like a field day for them.

Also other easy tickets to get are blue/smoked license plate covers ($90). Clear covers are ok and non-white headlights. If the copper puts a sheet of paper in front of ur headlight, and it doesnt look white, you'll get an automatic 100+ ticket.

BRAD 82
03-21-2005, 01:07 PM
thats rediculous how can an open cone air filter cause more polution? i don't get it my car passed e-test no problem with a cone filter? these cops bother the wrong people instead of removing the $hit boxes from the road they attack the people who take the time and $$$ to improve their cars!

straight_6
03-21-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't know if that is true. I have a book that tells all the laws for street cars, motorcylces, off road vehicles etc.. in Ontario. I says that after market intakes are legal if all polliution controlls are on. Like PCV valve etc..

Come to think of it in the most resent saturday or sunday sun there was a write up in the wheels or driver section that talks about that. Check it out if you can find it.

j23chan
03-21-2005, 01:11 PM
thats rediculous how can an open cone air filter cause more polution? i don't get it my car passed e-test no problem with a cone filter? these cops bother the wrong people instead of removing the $hit boxes from the road they attack the people who take the time and $$$ to improve their cars!

its pollution from the gas coming back out through the cone.. not through the exhaust. Your etest probably only tests exhaust emissions

j23chan
03-21-2005, 01:14 PM
I don't know if that is true. I have a book that tells all the laws for street cars, motorcylces, off road vehicles etc.. in Ontario. I says that after market intakes are legal if all polliution controlls are on. Like PCV valve etc..

Come to think of it in the most resent saturday or sunday sun there was a write up in the wheels or driver section that talks about that. Check it out if you can find it.

Why would you want to own something like the HMA (Highway Motor Act)? its liek going out to get the bill of congress or something and reading that.

BRAD 82
03-21-2005, 01:15 PM
its pollution from the gas coming back out through the cone.. not through the exhaust. Your etest probably only tests exhaust emissions

how will exhaust come back through the filter?
btw i am not tryin to be difficult but i am actually curious :confused:

j23chan
03-21-2005, 01:17 PM
how will exhaust come back through the filter?
btw i am not tryin to be difficult but i am actually curious :confused:

It's not exhaust.. that's what makes it illegal.. it's unburnt gas that leaks back out through the intake. This might not be possible when the car is on.. but when you turn off the engine, it could happen

straight_6
03-21-2005, 01:22 PM
Why would you want to own something like the HMA (Highway Motor Act)? its liek going out to get the bill of congress or something and reading that.

Actually its a book that tells you the law right from the HMA and then breaks it down and tells you what it means the fine you can get and how to fight it if at all, can't think of the name right now its at home. When i get home I will quote what it says.

BRAD 82
03-21-2005, 01:25 PM
It's not exhaust.. that's what makes it illegal.. it's unburnt gas that leaks back out through the intake. This might not be possible when the car is on.. but when you turn off the engine, it could happen

wow... thanks i never would of thought of that.

KIRASIR
03-21-2005, 02:21 PM
This makes no sense. Unburnt gas from where?! And how does the stock system prevent this "unburnt" gas from "leaking"?

The only possible illegal difference between an open intake and a stock system is that many people vent the crankcase ventilation into the air instead of routing it back into the intake.

SL

j23chan
03-21-2005, 03:52 PM
I think we're getting off topic here.
What really matters (regardless of pollution or not or whatever), if a cop sees it, you're gonna get a ticket, regardless of the reason why.

Timbaland
03-21-2005, 04:30 PM
So the only way for them to tell is if they get you to pop open the hood?

King Luis
03-21-2005, 04:31 PM
on my friend's dad's old fiat. we were trying to get it running. so we took off the intake to see if the carb was getting flooded. he was reving the engine when boom. fireball out the carb...almost burnt our eyebrows off. maybe thats how.
btw the car is a fully done 79 or so NA fiat motor.

RevShoT
03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
on my friend's dad's old fiat. we were trying to get it running. so we took off the intake to see if the carb was getting flooded. he was reving the engine when boom. fireball out the carb...almost burnt our eyebrows off. maybe thats how.
btw the car is a fully done 79 or so NA fiat motor.

the engine backfired and shot up the carb, adjust your timing :P

Mystikal
03-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Just read through my HTA, and there is no such mention of this. The Ontario Drive Clean website also does not document anything of the sort.

Anyone have actual documented proof of this?

Bliss
03-21-2005, 05:51 PM
I know of many friends that have been pulled over, and HAVE gotten a $110 ticket for having an improper air filter...not sure what the actual violation was called, but i do know that it is possible to get a ticket for it.

At the same time i have met a cop that said that cone filters were not illegal, and that he had one on his "done up" civic...so i guess it all matters on the cop. :rolleyes:

j23chan
03-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Basically it doesnt say intakes are "illegal." They are legal ONLY if they so long as it complies with the regulations in the Act

Basically it says no one is allowed to operate a vehicle if its system/device, that is used to prevent or lesson emissions of contaniments, is not kept installed on, or not attached to or not incorporated to the vehicle in a manner that it is intended to function.

Articles from:
The Highway Traffic Act
The Environmental Protection Act
The Motor Vehicle Safety Act & Transport Canada
================================================== =====

22. (1) No person shall sell, or offer, expose or advertise for sale, a motor or motor vehicle that does not comply with the regulations.
Where system or device installed on motor vehicle

(2) Where a manufacturer installs on, attaches to or incorporates in any motor or motor vehicle, a system or device to prevent or lessen the discharge of any contaminant, no person shall sell, or offer, expose or advertise for sale, such motor or motor vehicle unless the motor or motor vehicle has such system or device so installed, attached or incorporated and such system or device, when the motor or motor vehicle is operating, complies with the regulations. R.S.O. 1990, c. E.19, s. 22 (1, 2).

Repair or replacement of system or device

(3) Where a manufacturer installs on, attaches to or incorporates in any motor or motor vehicle, a system or device to prevent or lessen the discharge of any contaminant, no person shall remove or cause or permit the removal of the system or device from the motor or motor vehicle, except as permitted by subsection (4).

Same
(4) A person may repair the system or device or replace the system or device by a system or device of the same type or of a type prescribed by the regulations. 1998, c. 35, s. 3.

MOTOR VEHICLES - Ontario Regulation 361/98 SEC 7(1)(b)
Emission Control Systems or Devices

6.1 The following types of systems and devices are prescribed for the purpose of subsection 22 (4) of the Act:

1. A system or device that is manufactured by the manufacturer of the system or device that is being replaced and,

i. is identical to or equivalent to the system or device that is being replaced, or
ii. is manufactured as a replacement for the system or device that is being replaced.

2. A system or device that is approved by the Bureau of Automobile Repair, the California Air Resources Board, the United States Environmental Protection Agency or another body specified by the Director as a replacement for the system or device that is being replaced. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 6.

7. (1) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a system or device to prevent or lessen the emission of any contaminant, no person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of the motor or motor vehicle if the system or device, or any replacement therefor,

(a) is not maintained or kept in such a state of repair that it is capable of performing the function for which it was intended; or
(b) is not kept installed on, attached to or incorporated in the motor or motor vehicle in such a manner that, when the motor or motor vehicle is operating, the system or device functions in the manner in which it was intended to function. O. Reg. 401/98, s. 1.

==================================================
==================================================
===

Section 166 of the Environmental Protection Act - Stop and inspect powers: motor vehicle emissions

(2) For the purpose of ascertaining whether a system or device installed on, attached to or incorporated in any motor vehicle to prevent or lessen the discharge of any emission is operating in compliance with this Act and the regulations, a provincial officer or a police officer may stop and inspect the motor vehicle.

Same
(3) An inspection under subsection (2) shall be limited to what is reasonably required to ascertain whether the system or device is operating in compliance with this Act and the regulations.

Same
(4) In an inspection under subsection (2), the provincial officer or police officer may,

(a) require the driver of the motor vehicle to submit the motor vehicle to such tests at such places and times as the provincial officer or police officer considers reasonable;

(b) require the driver of the motor vehicle to produce any documents, including licenses and permits, related to the operation or ownership of the motor vehicle; and

(c) require the driver of the motor vehicle to operate, use or set in motion the vehicle or any part of the vehicle, under the conditions specified by the provincial officer or police officer.

bimmer318ti
03-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Like Bliss said it all comes down to the cop. If the cop feels that its illegal they could give you a ticket.

sloveniaboy
03-21-2005, 09:16 PM
I just wonder what they mean by enclosed, would I get a ticket is he was an ass?

lets say they took a look in my engine bay and saw a cone that had the E36 heat shield arround it, not enclosed? I mean it fully surrounds the cone and has the gasket that seals when the hood is closed....

I guess this situation would apply to many E36 owners with this setup....

straight_6
03-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Theres a book I bought called "your guide to legal mods" ontairo edition.It steps you through whats legal, whats not legal, how to avoid tickets for cars trucks hotrods bikes and off-road vehicals.

Some stuff in it is common knowledge, but it breaks it down to intakes, mufflers, lights, coilovers, body kits and right hand drive cars everything.
What it says about intakes is
"Air intake systems are not illegal until proven otherwise, provided that the postive crankcase ventilation tube (PCV) is not disconnected to the air intake device and not replaced, cut off, or bypassed with a small filter or breather; any of these modifications constitutes an EPA violation."

So if the cop just wants to give you a ticket as it goes on in another chapter, take it to your certified mechanic get him to check it making sure its OK and get a signed letter saying so. Produce it in front of a judge. The mechanc is concidered an "expert witness" over the testimony of the officer. The judge may dismiss your case.
It would be a hassell but it could save you $305-75 charge.

markierant
03-22-2005, 06:44 AM
They are legal! To simplify - the only illegal thing that you can get a ticket for is when you replace your PCV valve with one of those little filters. An intake system is perfectly legal as long as you have a functioning PCV valve.

1BADRIDE
03-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Open cone filters ARE legal as long as you are NOT venting the crankcase to atmosphere. It MUST be routed back into the intake. More often than not, people who install open element filters usually vent the crankcase to atmosphere.

Bypassing emissions controls will NOT yield you more than 0.5% increase in HP. If it does, your car is NOT tuned correctly.

Darkness95m3
03-22-2005, 08:18 AM
The other reason might be noise pollution.
The factory air units are enclosed for number of reasons; one is to keep the noise level down.

Mystikal
03-22-2005, 11:29 AM
The other reason might be noise pollution.
The factory air units are enclosed for number of reasons; one is to keep the noise level down.

...which is BS, because a stock SRT-4 at WOT is louder than my car, for sure.

Darkness95m3
03-22-2005, 02:29 PM
...which is BS, because a stock SRT-4 at WOT is louder than my car, for sure.

I guess you havenít heard my car with the supercharger with WOT, or my brothers 2000 Prelude once the Vtec kicks in.

bmdoubleya
03-22-2005, 05:08 PM
sad world were living in

im just at a loss I've never had a cop want to look under my hood..
I'd say something upbeat like; why you want to check my oil?
i'll take $10 in gas too!

but i'd be very much stuck on the subject of why!?
he's not a f'ing mechanic

also to me this is a SEARCH no different if they would've asked
you to step out of the car & then proceeded to go through it
for No reason...

eventually some of you will come to the conclusion
that when pulled over they are not your buddies & they
are not there to help you

so why help them!

T.Dot_E30
03-22-2005, 05:42 PM
There is a book called "Legal Mods", Published recently, I know the author. He owns the white elusion s2000, he's also the former CEO of the PACER program.

I'll scan the page when i get home.

Mystikal
03-22-2005, 09:24 PM
I guess you havenít heard my car with the supercharger with WOT, or my brothers 2000 Prelude once the Vtec kicks in.

I was comparing my car to a stock car. The SRT-4 is the loudest mainstream car I can think of, it has no muffler.

T.Dot_E30
03-22-2005, 09:51 PM
This is the book:

"Your Guide to Legal Mods"
http://i145.exs.cx/img145/8826/legalmodsmedium0di.jpg

And this is what str86 was talkin about
http://img56.exs.cx/img56/1230/airintake9we.jpg

straight_6
03-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Thats the book. What do you think of it?
Its got a lot of good info in it.

T.Dot_E30
03-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Thats the book. What do you think of it?
Its got a lot of good info in it.

Ya its pretty good, lots of it was what i thought was right. But atleast now i know that it is with a higher degree, bcus the law can always be interpeted differently.

But great book atleast something to refer to.

If anyone wants a copy, www.legalmods.com
$24.95 shipped + taxes i think.

Darkness95m3
03-23-2005, 06:24 AM
I was comparing my car to a stock car. The SRT-4 is the loudest mainstream car I can think of, it has no muffler.

Sorry dude.

Mystikal
03-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks Trev, I knew that seemed fishy to me.

Maybe I'll support the guy and buy one, seems like a good companion.