PDA

View Full Version : 'Revolution is over' at BMW

dozorca
03-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Chris Bangle, BMW’s controversial design boss, has said the company’s design revolution is over and his team is preparing to start from scratch ready ‘for the next revolution’. Bangle, talking to Automotive News Europe, said the launch of the 3-series marked the end of a styling ‘revolution’ started by the 7-series in 2001.

He dismissed suggestions that the 7-series had an unattractive design, claiming that ‘customers liked it — very much so’.

He admitted the new 3-series was the best interpretation of BMW’s design language. ‘Perhaps we designers have matured, or the public is more ready to appreciate it.’

Bangle said he sees ‘almost nothing’ from other car makers in terms of ‘real and formal innovation… Almost no one has had the courage to take a radically new direction the way BMW has.’

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/228200518426.jpg

http://www.autocarmagazine.com/NonCar/BMW/16355324221.jpg

AlpWhitE46
03-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Yay Bangle! <3

Raging Lamb
03-18-2005, 06:14 PM
That bastard.

Bangle said he sees ‘almost nothing’ from other car makers in terms of ‘real and formal innovation… Almost no one has had the courage to take a radically new direction the way BMW has.’

Because other car makers have more sense than putting the future of their company in the hands of a moron on pcp *mumble*

biotek
03-18-2005, 06:21 PM
That bastard.

Because other car makers have more sense than putting the future of their company in the hands of a moron on pcp *mumble*

yup and he sold more cars.

I have no problem with all the new series *th-up*

AlpWhitE46
03-18-2005, 06:24 PM

me neither....i saw a ****ing awesome z4 last night, dropped with clear taillights....DROOOOOOOL :eek: :eek: *mw*

Raging Lamb
03-18-2005, 07:13 PM

to each his own...but about selling more cars; I read in an article that the BMW sails figures for the new designs resemble those usually characteristic of sales at the end of a design cycle (i.e one that has peaked and is dying) while the design is in its infancy. We have to wait a bit more before citing sales figures in support for Bangels influence. It's not over yet.

FastM3
03-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Bangle is a genius, respect him!

Lee
03-18-2005, 08:06 PM
BMW's design has always be ageless... until Bangle came in the design team. Paul Bracq's work could transcend decades. Even 20 year old e30s still look good. I can't say the same for Bangle's cars. Bangle's design will not last more than a few years because it is gadgety, based on short-lived trends and as far as brand recognition, I now see a Mazda whenever I look at a new BMW. Not good.

Of course new BMWs sell well, but design is not necessarely the reason why. Nowadays BMWs are heavily supported by leasing, extended warranty, free maintenance for 3 or 4 years. iDrive and Bangles are possibly BMW's worst flaws...

Rampage
03-18-2005, 08:06 PM
^^ Agree. His designs will not stand the test of time

I respect the guy. he did make a strong change and brand image that no other, such a drasctic change that no other manufacturer could do.

Although I dont like the new designs when they come out, I have ended up liking all of the them, especially after seeing them in person. Except for the interiors, I still dont like those. The damn iDrive pods on the dash *thmbsdwn*

Even though I like the new design, I prefer the 'Classic' design of the BMW' of the late 90's, early 00's. I look forward to seeing what is to come out of the studio now

Manimillion
03-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Bangle owns all you haters, everyone can start talking shit about him, but guess what, he can do what ever he wants to do.

A~G
03-18-2005, 08:46 PM
sometimes i wonder how the hell he got as far as he did in the design world. what makes him so special?

Castel
03-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Bangle owns all you haters, everyone can start talking shit about him, but guess what, he can do what ever he wants to do.

uh so can castro. that doesn't warrent respect.

his designs are not very nice but business is business.

325isRED
03-18-2005, 11:38 PM
i have a few questions... what is an idrive? and who designed the e36 and e46?

saix
03-19-2005, 12:03 AM
would like to also know and I take it same person designed the E30?
I wonder what his "new style" will be.

FastM3
03-19-2005, 12:05 AM

THANK YOU! (I hope your defending Bangle because if your not you just did)

Who designed almost every car owned on this forum? CHRIS BANGLE.

AlpWhitE46
03-19-2005, 12:34 AM
That bastard.

i have a question, why are you driving an m3 then?

BMW_7
03-19-2005, 12:59 AM
I really hope this is true news. Well, the E90 looks just about as "revolutionary" as the E60. The new 6 and 7 is what really killed BMW, and were both responsibilities of Van Hooydonk. I really hope BMW keeps its designs as similar to the new 1 series as possible, because that car has the best design so far.

The 1 series will be the only new BMW that I will buy, if BMW does not reverse its design philosophy.

Manimillion
03-19-2005, 01:01 AM
I really hope this is true news. Well, the E90 looks just about as "revolutionary" as the E60. The new 6 and 7 is what really killed BMW, and were both responsibilities of Van Hooydonk. I really hope BMW keeps its designs as similar to the new 1 series as possible, because that car has the best design so far.

The 1 series will be the only new BMW that I will buy, if BMW does not reverse its design philosophy.

You think 6er's are ugly? :confused:

BMW_7
03-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Yes, the 6 remind me of Grand Prix and a dolphin, and the 7 series of a whale.. and a old man with downs syndrome

Gamite
03-19-2005, 03:40 AM
This topic has been done over a billion times, Honestly, I love some of bangles designs, and at the same time, I hate his other designs.

I love his coupes, I love the 6, and the Z4 is way nicer than Z3 (no offense to Z3 owners) Still not feeling the big sedans 5&7.

AlpWhitE46
03-19-2005, 03:50 AM
This topic has been done over a billion times, Honestly, I love some of bangles designs, and at the same time, I hate his other designs.

I love his coupes, I love the 6, and the Z4 is way nicer than Z3 (no offense to Z3 owners) Still not feeling the big sedans 5&7.

m5 too? :huh?:

Gamite
03-19-2005, 03:58 AM
m5 too? :huh?:

yea, I'm not feelin the grills still.

Raging Lamb
03-19-2005, 04:17 AM
i have a question, why are you driving an m3 then?

The E46 is based on the design of Erik Goplen, not Chris Bangel. I don't find this design ugly. And ofcourse I have other reasons for driving an M3 that are not related to its looks.

Lee
03-19-2005, 08:47 AM
The E46 is based on the design of Erik Goplen, not Chris Bangel. I don't find this design ugly. And ofcourse I have other reasons for driving an M3 that are not related to its looks.

Interestingly, the e46 is perhaps the BMW that has the more "natural" look. It is soft and smooth, and all lines and curves are just were they should be. It is non agressive and still unique. It is a design that stands out from other car makers. On Bangle design, what doesn't work is that his stylistic style won over natural flowing lines. When someone looks at a car and has to ask himself why such a line here, or such a shape there, then there is a problem.

The e36 had a few un-natural wedges that disapeared with the e46. Bangle's design is full of wedges and sharp edges. And he has to bring arguments about what such shape, because nobody understands...

///MAC
03-19-2005, 09:01 AM
I personally liked the 7 and i really like the 3 but most of all i like the 6er, the 6 series looks like the best "shape" i guess from this revolution he has started, love the lines, love the detail, i love everything about it, the same goes for the others but the 6 series really stands out above the rest

djcontra
03-19-2005, 09:19 AM
FINALLY.
The best designed bmws were before Bangles time,
A list of the most timeless looking bimmers from my generation are:

E30
E30 M3
E31
E34 M5
E38
E36
E36 M3

Everything else after just doesn't have the same appeal to me. Whenever I see even an E46, I dont see an aggressive solid looking vehicle like I do with the E36. As well, the E38 imho is still one of the pimpest rides around slammed with rims.

saix
03-19-2005, 10:36 AM
FINALLY.
The best designed bmws were before Bangles time,
A list of the most timeless looking bimmers from my generation are:

E30
E30 M3
E31
E34 M5
E38
E36
E36 M3

Everything else after just doesn't have the same appeal to me. Whenever I see even an E46, I dont see an aggressive solid looking vehicle like I do with the E36. As well, the E38 imho is still one of the pimpest rides around slammed with rims.

I agree except I think the E46 has something about it, its like it is saying dont **** with me *uzi*

///MAC
03-19-2005, 10:42 AM
i also agree with the both of you in terms of the E38, damn that was one nice looking car, but it needed to look more modern in this day and age, and i think the new 7 has done that, it looks modern yet sleek, and with a nice set of sports 20inch rims, DAMN that is one good looking car

Raging Lamb
03-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Interestingly, the e46 is perhaps the BMW that has the more "natural" look. It is soft and smooth, and all lines and curves are just were they should be. It is non agressive and still unique. It is a design that stands out from other car makers. On Bangle design, what doesn't work is that his stylistic style won over natural flowing lines. When someone looks at a car and has to ask himself why such a line here, or such a shape there, then there is a problem.

The e36 had a few un-natural wedges that disapeared with the e46. Bangle's design is full of wedges and sharp edges. And he has to bring arguments about what such shape, because nobody understands...

Well put.

BMetal
03-19-2005, 03:12 PM
THANK YOU! (I hope your defending Bangle because if your not you just did)

Who designed almost every car owned on this forum? CHRIS BANGLE.

Not a great argument because there are dozens of examples of Artists/Musicians/Bands/Actors who start of a career strong and then their shit just declines.

Bangle to a T!

FastM3
03-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Not a great argument because there are dozens of examples of Artists/Musicians/Bands/Actors who start of a career strong and then their shit just declines.

Bangle to a T!

Correct, but how can everyone say they hate him and he sucks, when he clearly does not since some people who say it, own a piece of his work! You can say his new designs are crap (thats your opinion, whatever), but don't bash him (especially if you own a BMW 90+)

BMetal
03-19-2005, 09:50 PM
You can say his new designs are crap

That is exactly what I'm saying.

Thanks

Rampage
03-19-2005, 10:30 PM

I couldnt have said it better!

SickFinga
03-19-2005, 10:42 PM
I dunno what kind you crack you guys are smoking, but E60 clearly better more meaner looking than e39. Z4 is better looking than Z3 and E46 is better than E36.
1 series looks pretty good, but Id take A3 over it.
6 series is absolutely amazing, prolly the best Bangle's car.
e38 definitly looks better than e65, but e65 design is more appropriate for 7 series than e38 was, its more sporty looking than luxurious.
X3 is the worst bangle's work though.

P.S. I know designs are subjective, but when I see those cars I mentioned above, I just can not understand how someone does not like them. You, know, its like a song, you absolutely love it, but can not understand how anyone can hate it

FastM3
03-19-2005, 10:43 PM
That is exactly what I'm saying.

Thanks

Good for you. My original post/quote was referring those people have BMW's and still say it, not yourself.

M3ti Compact
03-19-2005, 10:54 PM
I like all of bangles new designs except the X3.

Personally I'm also happy to see that BMW is not putting out bastardized versions of an old design (eg. Mustang, Beetle).

BM's strong suit is driving fun factor anyways, u want a "looks" car, get a Mercedes or Lexus.

KIRASIR
03-20-2005, 11:40 AM
A3? Yuk..

You haven't seen A3 and 1-er together in person then. A3 looks like a Civic from any direction but the front. The 1-series are beautiful and selling like crazy(they are EVERYWHERE). I saw one with this (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64508)
sport package yesterday in blue and it looks amazing in person.

SL

I dunno what kind you crack you guys are smoking, but E60 clearly better more meaner looking than e39. Z4 is better looking than Z3 and E46 is better than E36.
1 series looks pretty good, but Id take A3 over it.
6 series is absolutely amazing, prolly the best Bangle's car.
e38 definitly looks better than e65, but e65 design is more appropriate for 7 series than e38 was, its more sporty looking than luxurious.
X3 is the worst bangle's work though.

P.S. I know designs are subjective, but when I see those cars I mentioned above, I just can not understand how someone does not like them. You, know, its like a song, you absolutely love it, but can not understand how anyone can hate it

ROCKETMAN
03-20-2005, 06:23 PM
That sport package makes the 1 look "even" worse than it oroginaly does. I didnt know it was possible, until i saw that package.

SickFinga
03-20-2005, 08:35 PM
A3? Yuk..

You haven't seen A3 and 1-er together in person then. A3 looks like a Civic from any direction but the front. The 1-series are beautiful and selling like crazy(they are EVERYWHERE). I saw one with this (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64508)
sport package yesterday in blue and it looks amazing in person.

SL

Ive seen both in person, both at the dealerships
A3 looks much bettet IMP

tominizer
03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
As soon as one sees the back end of a 745/760, you know that Bangle is a retard for lines at times. The design is even worse then a Chysler K-car. It's just that brutal. That lid has "after-thought because I'm a retard" written all over it. Same for the front lights on the 6-series. And the interiors....... ack *thmbsdwn*

But I have to admit, some of his lines on some of the cars are nice. I'm very much starting to like the new 5. Out of all the BMW stuff, the new 5 is pretty nice. And the Z4 is working out nicely too.

Anyways, although this topic has probably generated more threads ovger the last year then anything else, it's still all good fun to poke that retard in the eye. Funny thing is this........ who were the nerds that hired this guy???? They should be the ones taking it in the nose. :D

ROCKETMAN
03-21-2005, 10:44 PM
^does this have to be explained agian? They hired him casue he was producing wicked things. Its just that the new direction he chose didnt work out too well. Go do some reshearch and see what he did before.

And for those taillights on the new 3 series that look like an afterthought........well, thats because they are. Originally they would have looked much better, but they had to change it last minute, cause they looked too similar to Audi's new taillights.

look:

ROCKETMAN
03-21-2005, 10:46 PM
They would have looked much better than the current Hyundai inspired ones, but they didnt want it to seem like they were copying Audi.