PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Shock Bounce??

irvz
03-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Hey guys,

i have a question for all the owners out there with wide tires...how do you stop it from scrapping the wheel well when you hit bumps?

i have wider tires and would like to tighten/reduce the bounce in my springs so that it doesn't scrape my tires too much..

would getting stiffer springs help? or putting those shock wedges? i've heard putting those wedges would dramatically increase the height of your ride (which i don't want)..anybody know the truth to this?

thx

Mystikal
03-17-2005, 04:30 PM
1. You get tires the proper size and/or wheels with the proper offset
2. Stiffer springs and dampers would help, yes. What are you running now?
3. Wedges? Never heard of that one.
4. If the rubbing is minor you can likely get the fenders rolled and/or fender liner modified. Search the forum for more info.

sloveniaboy
03-17-2005, 05:09 PM
if you rub only when your suspension is at its limit and bottoms out, get a stiffer set up, if you still have rubbing issues, roll fenders, if you still have issues, adjust your camber and make those bitches fit

WASABI
03-17-2005, 05:14 PM
i think he means spring wedges.

might as well be riding on blocks and no springs and shocks if you want to stop the tires from hitting the wheel well. if you want to keep the tires, then I'd suggest what others have suggested, pull your fenders out.

Mystikal
03-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Like spring pads? Never heard of them called wedges before.

WASABI
03-17-2005, 05:19 PM
they go between the spring coils (act like spacers), same as spring clamps but they spread the springs instead. seen them used on trucks to raise the height when they're towing.

TheMadChigga
03-17-2005, 06:57 PM
they go between the spring coils (act like spacers), same as spring clamps but they spread the springs instead. seen them used on trucks to raise the height when they're towing.

Those are dangerous to use if you planning to do very hard driving, they work if you just use it to prevent bottoming out under heavy load or very mild spirited driving. Basically all the force been apply on the spring will bounce back to the springs in opposite direction and can really cause serious non-predicted reactions.

if they rub the fenders, either
1) roll your fender
2) cut your inner fenders
3) don't get tires so big that you don't use it.

and what do you mean "bounce" in your springs, if your car "bounce" is usually the valving in the shocks are not suitable for the springs. Rarely springs cause a car to "bounce", all those ricers u see out there with their Civics bouncing are caused by poorly matched shocks.

Gamite
03-17-2005, 10:23 PM
personally I don't like cutting ANYTHING on my car. Would probably be my last option.

Are you running stock wheels? if you're running afermarket, the offset can be a cause too.

irvz
03-17-2005, 10:32 PM
can anyone recommend a stiffer spring setup for a E36? personally, i don't know jack about this subject..

Gamite
03-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Stiffer shocks (Bilstein is a popular and good choice) will eliminate the bouncing
stiffer springs (H&R) will reduce the amount of travel that your car moves up and down, but will also lower your car, which might not be what you want if you are already rubbing.

If your car is bouncing a LOT, eg, you can push down on your hood and your car literally bounces, then your shocks are gone, and need replacing.

If you told us the specs of your wheels/tires/shocks/springs, this will help us diagnose your problem.

irvz
03-18-2005, 12:06 AM
sorry about that..here are the specs..

they are just stock E36 328is shocks and springs...i have used custom made spacers to fill in the widebody kit of my car..i have eagle f1 tires 245 in front and 255 in back..it seems only the right side rubs hard when i hit a bump..the left also rubs but not as bad as the right..i think i may have blown shocks because if i hit a bump my car does 'bounce' an exaggerated amount..

because of this problem i can't have people sitting in the back of my car due to the added weight.. :D

btw..thanks for all the advice so far guys!

WASABI
03-18-2005, 10:00 AM
ah so you drive the black rennsport widebody coupe. I saw you once around christmas time at square one, the car looked great (beastly) !

you can probably use the custom spacers, to bring the wheels in a little and then get a stiffer spring/shock combo, maybe H&R OEM drop with bilsteins. the eibach pro-kit will also give you a subtle drop, depending if you want to drop it a little. upgrading your shocks may do the job if your current ones are blown.

irvz
03-18-2005, 12:47 PM
*wave* yup..i am the guy with the black rennsport..it's been stored for the winter but since spring is right around the corner i want to deal with this problem that's been bothering me last year..

do you guys know if there's a difference between the E36 m3 shocks and my 328is shocks? i can get m3 rear shocks but no springs..can i swap the shocks on my 328is completely or will i also need the m3 springs to make them fit?

are the m3 springs stiffer?

thx

WASABI
03-18-2005, 02:54 PM
sorry can't comment on the difference between the two, but they are direct bolt-on swaps and you don't need the springs the in the rear since it's not a strut setup, you'll see right away when you do the install.

ara325
03-18-2005, 04:02 PM
I had my rear fender wells rolled b/c of the same problem. I haven't had any problems since...my car's wearing 225/45/16 on a 16x8 rim...no spacers.

BMW BMXer
03-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I may have seen your car at humber?

If so its really high (clearance between tire and wheel well) wise to be rubbing. Look into some good shocks like others have said.

bmdoubleya
03-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Coil overs are Stiff! & height adjustable!

some even let you adjust the stiffness of them rebound, compression..