PDA

View Full Version : Useless posts being made.

Bliss
03-17-2005, 02:11 AM
This is in referal to this thread: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50475

Wow...surprises me on how little knowledge some of you have on bmw's yet some of the dumbest things i have read about bmw's are coming from those that have 1000+ posts...makes me think of what those 1000+ posts are. :confused: Dr.MooCow i was looking at your previous 14 posts, and yup...useless...some of you should really re-think why you're on a bmw forum. If you don't own a bmw or plan on owning one, why on earth are you here?? It also says you are looking for a 1995-1997 3000GT VR-4...i'm pretty sure that's no bmw.

Use maxbimmer as a bmw site, and not as an msn free-for-all. We don't need misinformation being posted. If you can't contribute, don't post. I usually don't point fingers at anyone, but that thread made me laugh at some of the things being said ie: V6? *thmbsdwn* C'mon, what were you even thinking??

I know a lot of you are here to contribute, and are able to show contribution, so i hope i'm speaking for you guys as well.

Please add your comments regarding this...we want to make maxbimmer informative to the bmw population, and not misguide them.

Just a reminder...DO NOT post names of members that YOU feel are not informative. This thread wasn't meant for that...people that start doing that will get a warning as a result. We are capable of judging this on our own.

paul christians
03-17-2005, 02:26 AM
I 2sec that.........

Eurostyle
03-17-2005, 02:38 AM
I'm glad you made this thread Bruce! Like i said it bofore, there are many threads/posts that make no sens on a BMW forum (even for "off topic")...The issue is getting better tho with the recent additon of moderators! *th-up*
I know its the internet, and everybody can post what they want...but we should try keep it somewhat focused! *wave*

KIRASIR
03-17-2005, 03:35 AM
As an example, see two posts above. People tend to post absolute crap, and most of the time they cannot even come up with a proper sentence, let alone post something informative.

SL

I 2sec that.........

328power
03-17-2005, 03:40 AM
well most of the 1000+ posters are kids without licenses or just got there G1 and are driving around in mommys van...

I dont own a bimmer right now but i did own one for 2 years while on this site and intend on getting another one ( m3 or nothing ) hopefully soon :)

BMW4LIFE ....but i drive a wrx for now .... which i do like :)

**** Bliss that thread you posted is jokes *th-up*

msix
03-17-2005, 07:56 AM
hey Bliss, why don't you add this post to your top ten "Useless posts" on this forum.

I mean, the post you are referring to is starting out not too bad, someone has a absolute legitimate question. "What makes BMW so great"

Why would you bash a guy like Dr. MooCow for trying to get information on a particular car. Maybe he does not own a BMW now, but maybe he can be convinced to buy one after reading some answers.

The following replies are for the most part totally ludicrous, but that's not the cow's fault.
Yes, I am wondering too, why do people often post here when they have no clue. It's not a crime trying to get information, but to give stupid and false statements is plain, simple ..... stupid.

There is a good quote: THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS, THERE ARE ONLY STUPID ANSWERS!

k.w.

King Luis
03-17-2005, 09:47 AM
i've noticed a lot of useless posts being created aswell....as for moocow...his first 2 posts were. hi, i'm new. and the second was 10 minutes later saying how come no one is replying. like come on...stuff like that isn't needed.

Rampage
03-17-2005, 10:53 AM
I totally with your position Bliss.

Although I dont own a BMW right now, I do plan on owning one in two years when I start my Co-op term. Im at University and the campus and surrounding area is so well knit that it would be a waste of money to own and insure a car, thus why I do not have one. I do not think or try to post worthless shit, and I try to contribute as much as I can, as I also share a passion for BMW's.

This is a great learning resource, and I have since gained a lot of knowledge that I will use in the future when I go to purchase a BMW, or even a car in general. Threads like the one in question and more specifically, the posters themselves are bringing down the reputation and quality of MaxBimmer.

I am glad that you have brought this into the open, as it needed to be done.

duffy325
03-17-2005, 11:07 AM
I agree as well. I know that since I have been here in 2003, the type of threads have shifted greatly from discussions of a techinical nature, or mature discussions about BMW as a company, or important issues affecting us as enthusiasts etc... to a high percentage of threads concerning personal issues, or complaining, or whatever. And though there are those that enjoy these types of discussions, I can't help but think it causes a lot of top quality posters, who have extensive knowledge about BMW or other issues, to shy away from this board. In my opinion, most of the top quality posters are not the same people whom are racking up 30+ posts a day.

I'm not sure of some people's motiviation for being here, but I am here to engage with other enthusiasts, who share the same interests, concerns, desires, as I do about my hobby and interests. This is a BMW forum, and I feel that we should try to stay focused on that.

Of course I can enjoy the latest owned joke like anyone else, but when that sort of thing is 60% of the threads, I wonder why everyone lost interest in discussing BMW's?

Edit: Grammer/spelling

1BADRIDE
03-17-2005, 12:35 PM
I think this BLISS guy is the real troublemaker. :D

I'm joking. I do have the same issue about the quality of the posts in the forum. People here, more often than not, are quick to judge and make silly/stupid comments rather than provide answers. The forums have gone to the point where I don't view them from work nearly as often as I used to - mainly because of the NWS content, stupid/rude avatars & sigs, and in many cases rude/stupid posts which are usually a waste of time to read even.

I don't mind the occasional joke here and there, but for the sake of the forums, this has to be kept under control and limits/restrictions need to be placed & enforced.

I hope this thread will result in some improvements. If there is any assistance I can offer, just ask! :)

Bliss
03-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Why would you bash a guy like Dr. MooCow for trying to get information on a particular car.

There is a good quote: THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS, THERE ARE ONLY STUPID ANSWERS!

k.w.

I totally agree with you that this member asked a legitimate question, however, to my judgment he is only here to dick around hence 99% of his posts. I usually don't point fingers at someone, but i'm gonna draw the line right here.

There are some enthusiasts on here that don't own a bmw, or had owned one in the past, or even thinking of buying one in the future, i have no probs with that...after all, we are here to do some research, and learn something. If we will have an increase in members that don't contribute properly to maxbimmer, then the knowledge base of the site will decline.

To the quote above, i totally agree with. There are no stupid questions, but to get rediculous answers and misinforming someone is plain dumb, and that's what we would like to prevent here.

BRAD 82
03-17-2005, 01:26 PM
Ok bliss i get what you are saying but think about this for a minute... The majority of what goes on in the "off topic" forum is then in your eyes useless? Yet the forum is called "off topic". If you want to eliminate useless threads i think you might as well remove the off topic and general discussions forums. What i believe you need to do is eliminate options for newbies. these problems that we are having are usually with people with less than 20 posts!

good luck but i do believe you mods have really stepped it up a notch and the posts are getting better!!!

Keep up the good work *th-up*

Bliss
03-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Ok bliss i get what you are saying but think about this for a minute... The majority of what goes on in the "off topic" forum is then in your eyes useless? Yet the forum is called "off topic". If you want to eliminate useless threads i think you might as well remove the off topic and general discussions forums. What i believe you need to do is eliminate options for newbies. these problems that we are having are usually with people with less than 20 posts!

good luck but i do believe you mods have really stepped it up a notch and the posts are getting better!!!

Keep up the good work *th-up*

Who said anything here about "off topic"? We dealt with that by putting the "recycle bin" which has helped some. The point of this thread is to discuss how some members do not contribute to max, and are here to use it as a "free-for-all" website...and no, there are members here that have A LOT more posts than "20" that are posting non-sense, and cluttering the forums with useless remarks, and total garbage.

5style
03-17-2005, 01:42 PM
As being an active member of a Peugeot forum, you could just eliminate offtopic alltogether. www.aussiefrogs.com has no offtopic areas what so ever. People talk about their vehicles and help eachother out, and the line stops there. No useless sections:)

paul christians
03-17-2005, 01:54 PM
BLISS may be you should make an "off topic recycle bin" to go with recycle bin maybe it will help so people can go there and post there threads .........

Bliss
03-17-2005, 01:57 PM
As being an active member of a Peugeot forum, you could just eliminate offtopic alltogether. www.aussiefrogs.com has no offtopic areas what so ever. People talk about their vehicles and help eachother out, and the line stops there. No useless sections:)

Once again, the point of this thread is not about "off topic". It has nothing to do with the off topic section.

BRAD 82
03-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Who said anything here about "off topic"? We dealt with that by putting the "recycle bin" which has helped some. The point of this thread is to discuss how some members do not contribute to max, and are here to use it as a "free-for-all" website...and no, there are members here that have A LOT more posts than "20" that are posting non-sense, and cluttering the forums with useless remarks, and total garbage.

all i was saying was that these are the forums where it takes place!! And i went further on to state that you HAVE been doing a great job moderating these forums...
About the 20 posts thing i was remarking to the ONE OFF POSTERS and they disappear and create a new name etc... But if you think about it the reason for this is the post count etc... if you were to eliminate that then the problem i would think would disappear...
i am not raggin on you just trying to make some points/suggestions!!

5style
03-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Once again, the point of this thread is not about "off topic". It has nothing to do with the off topic section.

I misunderstood then, however, I stand by that opinion, it would make maxbimmer more proffessional.

duffy325
03-17-2005, 02:34 PM
we are here to do some research, and learn something. If we will have an increase in members that don't contribute properly to maxbimmer, then the knowledge base of the site will decline.

That is exactly my point. If there is a high level of "useless postings" I would think those members with quality contributions, will probably go elsewhere. Who wants to wade through the threads to pick out the minority of quality threads which are BMW focused? For example, I anxiously await for certain people on here to post in sections like Track Junkies, whom have first hand knowledge about track driving/techinical information. But I have found they post less and less. Perhaps they are tired of dealing with everything else?

Maybe the percentage of mature (not neccessarily age driven) posts are going down, as immature, or irrelevent posts rise?

M50E30
03-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Bliss you have my back on this topic 110%. There are way too many BS posts and too many "e-thug's".

Now just ditch the silly reputation meter! *no-no*

M3ti Compact
03-17-2005, 02:54 PM
^ yeah, the rep meter is more like a "popularity" meter...

It's like high school SAC elections...the popular kids get the votes even when there are obviously better people for the job.

Dr.MooCow
03-17-2005, 03:31 PM
i like BMWs...there just out of my price range. thats y im here, and if you want me to leav, then i will. no problem

AMG_POWER
03-17-2005, 03:35 PM
I agree there's also alot of useless threds i post about mercedes's lol Im sorry! :D

Krazykanuk
03-17-2005, 03:37 PM
i wouldnt' say its all the newbies. but why limit things for those who are new and under 20 posts (like me) who do post for the most part when they have something intelligent to say or a question.

Bliss
03-17-2005, 03:48 PM
i wouldnt' say its all the newbies. but why limit things for those who are new and under 20 posts (like me) who do post for the most part when they have something intelligent to say or a question.

It's definitely not only newbies...everyone was a newbie at one point in time. It's how the member presents themselves here.

btw, Post counters will be deleted in the near future.

lvan
03-17-2005, 04:05 PM
It was funny how that dude said "V6 richer power" and Jordan went like "Excuse me" hahahah lol Thank to god it ended up peacefully....

R_JAY
03-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Honestly Bruce, I think the post counters are fine. I know some people abuse it but I think that could be taken care of. Maybe do like that other forum and have a "Time out" for those that are getting out of hand. On the other hand, I don't think the reputation thing is a good idea. Some will just use it to get at a person that they have differences with. What we do need is more popo ah I mean moderators *wave*. I don't know the # we have now but I know it's not alot. Let's face it, this board is getting bigger everyday so the police force should get bigger aswell. I'm sure there are some mature members out there that can handle this position.

ara325
03-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm not trying to cause shiat here, and this will prolly contradict the ideology of the internet, but what if you were to charge a nominal registration fee? (i.e. $50/year) that way only people seriously interested in BMW's will have access to the site, thus posting useful info./questions. Anyone who says that $50 might too much for the year, shouldn't be driving a BMW...like those members who post complaints about the cost of maintaining a BMW, then go buy a domestic. And really, I don't know if i'm that much more knowledgable after perusing maXbimmer, but I do know that there are a lot of facetious (sp?) people out there who get off on making others feel inferior.

This $50 can also help the annual cost of maintaining the site. I'll be first to put my $50 down. *th-up*

krp_e36m50
03-17-2005, 05:06 PM
i like BMWs...there just out of my price range. thats y im here, and if you want me to leav, then i will. no problem

If you like BMW's why did you ask "what makes BMW's so great?!"
U trying to be funny, I don't get it....
And another thing - BMW's are just out of your price range??? :confused:
A Mitsu 3000GT isn't exactly a cheap car. You could find lotsa wicked bimmers for less than the price of a 3000GT.....

E36er
03-17-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm not trying to cause shiat here, and this will prolly contradict the ideology of the internet, but what if you were to charge a nominal registration fee? (i.e. $50/year) that way only people seriously interested in BMW's will have access to the site, thus posting useful info./questions. Anyone who says that $50 might too much for the year, shouldn't be driving a BMW...like those members who post complaints about the cost of maintaining a BMW, then go buy a domestic. And really, I don't know if i'm that much more knowledgable after perusing maXbimmer, but I do know that there are a lot of facetious (sp?) people out there who get off on making others feel inferior.

This $50 can also help the annual cost of maintaining the site. I'll be first to put my $50 down. *th-up*

Could be a good idea..but not everyone has that money.Maybe 10 bucks..maybe not.

I would also like to agree with Bruce.. I remember when this site was newer. I learn SO much about my car before i even know how to drive standerd properly..ive also noticed that some of the guys that always posted ( usefull info) have stoped postin at much..(ie. Migual, Justine36, just for example).
Im not much of a problem slover unless im in control, so i dont really have any ideas...but post some if you have any, that way we can figure something out

Chad!

///MAC
03-17-2005, 05:35 PM
So what im reading is, if i dont own a bimmer or dont plan on it i shouldnt be here...
so i own an audi, what does that mean, i have to leave ???
i just want to clarify this question becuase i have gotten lots of help from many members here and have made some nice friends, such as paul and quack just to name a few ...

Bliss
03-17-2005, 05:47 PM
So what im reading is, if i dont own a bimmer or dont plan on it i shouldnt be here...
i just want to clarify this question becuase i have gotten lots of help from many members here and have made some nice friends, such as paul and quack just to name a few ...

No, it's simple. All you need to do is contribute wisely to the site. There are many members that happen to own something other than a bmw, or don't own anything at all, but are very knowledgeable, and/or are actually here to learn a few things from other members.

BigD
03-17-2005, 07:57 PM
I love you! *love*

This is in referal to this thread: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50475

Wow...surprises me on how little knowledge some of you have on bmw's yet some of the dumbest things i have read about bmw's are coming from those that have 1000+ posts...makes me think of what those 1000+ posts are. :confused: Dr.MooCow i was looking at your previous 14 posts, and yup...useless...some of you should really re-think why you're on a bmw forum. If you don't own a bmw or plan on owning one, why on earth are you here?? It also says you are looking for a 1995-1997 3000GT VR-4...i'm pretty sure that's no bmw.

Use maxbimmer as a bmw site, and not as an msn free-for-all. We don't need misinformation being posted. If you can't contribute, don't post. I usually don't point fingers at anyone, but that thread made me laugh at some of the things being said ie: V6? *thmbsdwn* C'mon, what were you even thinking??

I know a lot of you are here to contribute, and are able to show contribution, so i hope i'm speaking for you guys as well.

Please add your comments regarding this...we want to make maxbimmer informative to the bmw population, and not misguide them.

Just a reminder...DO NOT post names of members that YOU feel are not informative. This thread wasn't meant for that...people that start doing that will get a warning as a result. We are capable of judging this on our own.

Chris de la Cruz
03-17-2005, 08:17 PM

you have your dad's 5er!! duuhh!!! :D

///MAC
03-17-2005, 08:28 PM
ahahahha but tis not mine LOL
but bliss has covered what i needed to know
thanks for the clear up..

BigD
03-17-2005, 08:47 PM
What are you guys not getting here??? This is NOT a democracy. Bruce pays the bills, this is his site, you use it as a privelege. Like that Eddie Murphy bit "if you don't like it, you can get the fuk out". Many of us know Bruce personally and we trust his judgement as a friend. If you don't like his rules, then don't let the door hit you in ass on the way out. It's like with kids and parents. If you're mature enough to understand WHY these rules exist, then you don't need to question them, because like me, you agree with them (all the "rules" are just for common decency and sense). If you're not, then follow them because he said so, or leave. You all know what he's talking about and there's no sense to try to corner his point with semantics. For instance, cow's post seems innocent in and of itself, but it's clear to anyone with half a braincell or more that it's just a shitstirring post, and when viewed in context of the rest of his posts, it's even clearer. But either way, no need to discuss something you have no right to affect. Pay some bills, then you might have a say. Until then, if you want to share your philosophical views on the world or get help with or brag about your imaginary love life, there are paid professionals and appropriate websites for each one of those (there are also friends).

BigD
03-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Also, I completely agree that Bruce should charge for membership. Everyone has a paypal account. 10 or 20 bucks won't kill you. Ask mom for it if you must. It would also drammatically reduce the number of random people coming here for no other reason than they have nothing better to do. If people paid to keep this site up then they might think twice before posting horseshit.

Gamite
03-17-2005, 09:08 PM
I think its obvious that we want to keep the forum a fun place to be, but this is a BMW forum first and foremost. But there are a lot of members that come on and spend 98% of their time in off topic, Members should be here because of their interests in BMW's, not off topics. There's a whole other website for that.

AMG_POWER
03-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Also, I completely agree that Bruce should charge for membership. Everyone has a paypal account. 10 or 20 bucks won't kill you. Ask mom for it if you must. .

Is that per month or per year?

BigD
03-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Probably per year but... 10 bucks per month or even 5, is that so tough? Just skip a visit to McD's.

Gamite
03-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Probably per year but... 10 bucks per month or even 5, is that so tough? Just skip a visit to McD's.

if you skipped McD's that would be a $40 donation! :P J/K bud, don't bench press me.

Rolled_Out
03-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Agree w/ Bruce.
If I could i'd call the board of directors to a meeting and figure out a way to get this forum back to the way it was in the past. Everyone enjoying each other and being very useful. I don't see too much of that anymore... Hopefully we can change that, because there are some very knowledgeable people on here that don't post as much anymore, and thats a shame. We could all use those guys, but they tend to hide because of useless posts bombarding 80% of the threads..

Chris de la Cruz
03-17-2005, 10:17 PM
hey man i think paid membership is a good idea... it can make the site more professional and also limit the amount of "kids" and leave only the dedicated members to max. and keep the off topic section for the paid or access granted members.

BigD
03-17-2005, 10:18 PM
if you skipped McD's that would be a $40 donation! :P J/K bud, don't bench press me.

Hey no need to be rude, I like this site but come on now. I said skip A visit!!! :moon:

Furious
03-17-2005, 11:33 PM
ah, i agree 100 % with bruce, i know this pain all too well, everything from abuse of post counting , to just plain old posting crap. i have to give my props to the staff here on Max for keeping this forum from falling apart, they do more good work than people know.

p.s Bliss the time out thing works pretty well.

Ryousuke
03-17-2005, 11:45 PM
I don't own a BMW but, I plan on buying one soon. Thanks to this site I learned a lot of things about it. Even though you don't see me posting much in General Section I do when I can help out, I'm still a rookie when it comes to these cars and learn new things all the time. I stopped posting a lot period like some people did and I just lurke around and reply only in certain threads. I also agree that Off-Topic has gone a little out of hand and with all the NWS stuff going around now its like turning into a porn site.
I think few rules need to be adjusted like for avatars and signatures should be more apopriate so that the site would be more work friendly and instead of stopping peopel from visiting it because we all know most of us are lazy to disable the avatards pictures and signatures in options.

MarkD
03-18-2005, 01:35 AM
Is that per month or per year?

For people with AMG's, it's per week!
:D

AMG_POWER
03-18-2005, 03:08 AM
For people with AMG's, it's per week!
:D

Come on im a poor student from Ukraine lol *shiner*

Bliss
03-18-2005, 03:11 AM
Thanks for all the replies, comments/suggestions towards this. We are going to look into the "timeout" factor, pay-site, post counters, and reputation, and see where we can go with this to maybe help improve the quality of the posts.

KIRASIR
03-18-2005, 03:19 AM
Bruce,

There is a very easy solution to all of this BS - strict moderation.

1) Come up with a set of rules
2) Make the rules known
3) Rigorously enforce the rules

After 2 weeks people will stop posting garbage because the posts will keep getting deleted by moderators.

My $.02

SL

Thanks for all the replies, comments/suggestions towards this. We are going to look into the "timeout" factor, pay-site, post counters, and reputation, and see where we can go with this to maybe help improve the quality of the posts.

Bliss
03-18-2005, 03:22 AM
Bruce,

There is a very easy solution to all of this BS - strict moderation.

1) Come up with a set of rules
2) Make the rules known
3) Rigorously enforce the rules

After 2 weeks people will stop posting garbage because the posts will keep getting deleted by moderators.

My $.02

SL

New set of rules are on their way. :)

Just remember that a lot has to do with using common judgement as well. Rules can't implement that.

paul christians
03-18-2005, 03:24 AM
do a once a year membership fee like bmwcc ($60)........

King Luis
03-18-2005, 09:42 AM
i think a paid membership will drive a lot of people away.
strict moderation and deletion of "useless posts" should clean things up and free space.

BMW_7
03-18-2005, 09:51 AM
i think a paid membership will drive a lot of people away.
strict moderation and deletion of "useless posts" should clean things up and free space.

Yes a lot of immature idiots. I have no problem paying.

SeRb
03-18-2005, 10:14 AM
isnt there an option on this site to ignore members?

if someone is making useless posts why don't you just simply ignore them,
also the mods can delete the useless threads, and if they can't keep up then maybe you need more mods

also you can pretty much tell if a topic is useless or not just by the name, so why dont you ignore the thread altogether?

i.m.o. there's a simple solution to a simple problem, i dont get why everyone is making all these threads about useless posts and complicating the situation

duffy325
03-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Although I agree that paying could be a good method to clean out a lot of these useless posts, it seems unfortunate that as a result of some people who don't contribute, those who do are forced to pay to make the situation better.
I am not trying to say it is a bad idea, because I think it is decent and I would pay to come here, but it would be nice to think that there are other options to keep things under control.

And BigD, I fully agree with you that it is a privilege to be here. If more people saw it that way, maybe there wouldn't be these sorts of problems.

Mitch555
03-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Honestly Bruce, I think the post counters are fine. I know some people abuse it but I think that could be taken care of. Maybe do like that other forum and have a "Time out" for those that are getting out of hand. On the other hand, I don't think the reputation thing is a good idea. Some will just use it to get at a person that they have differences with. What we do need is more popo ah I mean moderators *wave*. I don't know the # we have now but I know it's not alot. Let's face it, this board is getting bigger everyday so the police force should get bigger aswell. I'm sure there are some mature members out there that can handle this position.

I agree with this post 100%.

I've always liked the "Time-Out" idea also, but too bad we have never had it on Max.

bmdoubleya
03-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Bliss a well needed thread *th-up*

Paying for it: I would be sooo gone..
Sorry to many bmw websites out there & most of my tech searches have resulted in,
well lets just say I know what rims & body kit to get 20X's over!

Enforcment is the way to go!! obviously people that have "donated"
should get more tolerance then say a sub 50post count newby

Theres nothing wrong with being on here & not owning one (A bmw)
but definitely: how you Act should be scrutenized to the max
example: what body kit & rims should I buy for my bmw I don't own yet?

*no-no* Hey, jerk off in private

a better newb non owner qestion example would be:
im in the market for a new used car, but i want to Turbo my next ride
what are some of the hurdles to overcome with turboing a bmw.?
which motor is best for this task?

This will at least cause discussion of a technical nature in regard to why we
are here B.M, Fricken W, dawg *drink*

bmdoubleya's bro on this 1 :D

P.S I love surfing Offtopic sections of many many forums *th-up*

BigD
03-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Paying for it: I would be sooo gone..

*wave*

A~G
03-18-2005, 08:04 PM
I've noticed too many 'non bmw' posts aswell.., looks as if people are making accounts simply to come on here and bash bmw, or make unrealistic comparisons with other manufacturer's.

moregothanshow
03-19-2005, 01:11 AM
i totally agree with Bliss on this one, there just arent many quality post anymore. i dont mind paying to be here but $50-$60 is a bit high, i can live with $5-10$ annually, i think thats more reasonable. and i think maybe the mods can borrow ideas form other forums, for instance, i was at the toronto civics forum, and they had post counts, with the exception that they had a system in which your post was rated, and if it met their certain criteria then it would count as a post and if not it wouldn't, btw i am the last to care about my post count... thats one idea that maybe could help the post count dilema.... anyhow good luck with the resolution of these issues that plague this society, one more thing i agree with the comment that this is not a democracy!

SpudBoy
03-19-2005, 09:57 AM
I would love to see some of the more persistant BS posters muzzled so the time out sounds great.

tlaselva
03-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Good to see some pro-active measures in an honest attempt in returning this board back to it's origional focus.

A~G
03-19-2005, 04:15 PM
I could live with $5 - $10 anually aswell

Mystikal
03-19-2005, 04:43 PM
The idea of more moderators is repeatedly mentioned. Conversely, the ONLY posts ever reported through the system are the obvious spam ones that pop up every other day. If you guys ever have an issue with a post, please feel free to report it and one of us will take care of it. You guys have no idea how many threads are moved/deleted by the moderating team and how many flame wars I know I personally try to stop before they start by deleting instigating posts, etc.

Once again, my point is to start reporting posts and/or PMing one of the mods if you have a problem. It's hard to police a crime when no one reports it, dig?

RevShoT
03-19-2005, 05:00 PM
if this site becomes a pay site then i for one wont pay to talk about bmw's

ide rather move to another board

but if u wana stop spammers and stuff u can charge like $1 or sumthing for a 1 time sign up fee

BRAD 82
03-19-2005, 05:15 PM
one time sign up fee sounds good! that will make spam posters double think about registering!

nice thought *th-up*

MarkD
03-19-2005, 05:21 PM
one time sign up fee sounds good! that will make spam posters double think about registering!

nice thought *th-up*

Actually how about you pay $25 up front, and then your account gets deducted $0.10 for each post. It could be called Pay-as-you-post. Just like Fido. :D
That will cut down on the useless posts and help pay for the board at the same time!

I know other forums are free, but something has to be done to clean this place up. Getting rid of the post counters is the first step.

MarkD

BRAD 82
03-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Actually how about you pay $25 up front, and then your account gets deducted $0.10 for each post. It could be called Pay-as-you-post. Just like Fido. :D
That will cut down on the useless posts and help pay for the board at the same time!

I know other forums are free, but something has to be done to clean this place up. Getting rid of the post counters is the first step.

MarkD

well do you have any idea's? we need something to be done so that the useless posts diminish.

BMW_7
03-19-2005, 05:48 PM
This forum has waaay too much freedom too, for example I know in offtopic.com, you have to buy an avatar, and buy custom titles as well I think, or it may be included with the avatar. Because of this, people who do not have an avatar, if they post useless garbage are banned or given warnings more often because everyone knows they are newb's and not paying anyway.

Just an idea.

M50E30
03-19-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm going to give props to the admin/moderators for being more vocal/involved latley!!! *th-up*

But this board dosen't need much to clean up.....

1. Post counter removed
2. Warnings/Timeouts/Ban for rude members & usless posts
3. And last but not least.........ditch the silly reputation point system!

Cosmic 325i
03-21-2005, 11:29 AM
i know some forums counts posts only if you post in the tech sections....