PDA

View Full Version : TRYING TO GET a RECALL ON 2000 e46

trypnotic
03-15-2005, 12:29 PM
My 2000 323Ci E46 has developed a squeak whenever i pull away or change
gear. I finally decided to get underneath to see if I could locate the
problem. I located the squeak to what I think is the near side mounting for
the rear anti roll bar (i'm no mechanic so i could be wrong about this). The
mounting looks like it has torn itself from the body.
I'm sure i've read somewhere that this is a common fault on the E46. If so
is there a recall or a standard way of fixing this? I'm sure it will need
welding.

I will post the following INFO in hopes that other BMW e46 owners have had the same problem.

I have spoken to BMW and they said if I can get more owners with same problem to come fourth that they will pay for the repair or do a recall.

Please e-mail me and or BMW and let them know.

THANKS DEE

*uzi*

Bliss
03-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Never had the problem, but sounds more like a bushing than anything else. I don't think "welding" would be necessary. Just get it properly inspected by a mechanic. Thats how you'll know for sure.

trypnotic
03-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi Bliss my car is at budds collision being repaired they told me that this is the third 2000 e46 they have fixed with the same problem. The sheet metal
gives out and causes the subframe to rip away from the car on the left side.

and it comes with a $4500.00 price tag to fix

Parts 778.00

labour 3722.00

and the thing is that i dont drive the car crazy at all.

Cheers

Bliss
03-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Hi Bliss my car is at budds collision being repaired they told me that this is the third 2000 e46 they have fixed with the same problem. The sheet metal
gives out and causes the subframe to rip away from the car on the left side.

and it comes with a $4500.00 price tag to fix

Parts 778.00

labour 3722.00

and the thing is that i dont drive the car crazy at all.

Cheers

Ahh, yes i heard of this problem before. I'm guessing that there aren't enough cases of it occuring for it to be an official recall. However i would hope to see BMW do something about this since there is more than one occurance, and has obviously nothing to do with the way someone drives the car. Good luck on this.

Thread was moved to the E46 section.

paul christians
03-17-2005, 03:00 AM
WOW that suck to hear that guys.....

European
03-17-2005, 07:55 AM
we have done atleast 5-6 average per year, and all the time it was warranty.,

i bet your car is a 323?....

the problem may be that your out of warranty, thats why they may not cover it, i would suggest you go to bmw of mississauga and report it they may be more aware of these problems..

Sickbimmer
03-17-2005, 08:08 AM
When I sold my 2000 328ci it had that exact same problem, so your not the only one.

bimmer_02
03-23-2005, 02:47 AM
hold on, so who paid the $4500 ??? plz tell me warranty covered it

trypnotic
03-23-2005, 08:53 AM
I had to pay it since the car is no longer on the BMW warranty. That is why i am trying to get as many people who have or had the same problem to report it to BMW. I have done some research and found that this happens to alot of BMW's even cars that only have 20,000km, the reason being that they did not re-enforce the rear end. The sheet metal gives out causing the rear to rip away from the subframe on the left side. So if you ever hear a nasty sqeek from the rear of any BMW and you know that the car is driven hard this should be one of the first things to check. This also happens to cars that are not driven hard.

This problem was also found in the e36.

Cheers

Dee