PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover bolt and nut replacement.

KGB
03-12-2005, 08:16 PM
I checked my spark plugs this morning and decided to tighten the valve cover nuts, it leaks oil a little bit since I switched to synthetic. By accident I overtightened a nut a little and it broke the piece of the bolt inside it. Luckily it only broke above the engine block, not inside it, otherwise, I would have no idea what to do.

Does anyone know if a BMW dealership sell the replacement bolt, grommet and nut?
Thanks.

paul christians
03-13-2005, 12:20 AM
yes they do..........

KGB
03-14-2005, 12:58 PM
I called the dealership this morning and it took several phone calls and faxes to get the right diagram to find out the right part I was looking for. Fortunately, the person at Otto's Parts Dept. was pretty cooperative and patient to bear with me.

Just in case someone is looking for them like me and needs to call the dealership. The diagram for the cylinder head covers didn't include the studs only the nuts and grommets, the studs were part of the other two diagrams: timing chain covers(front studs only - 6 of them) and cylinder heads(8 for each head). The good news is that the studs are pretty cheap like $3.17 a piece, but needed to be ordered in my case.