PDA

View Full Version : MCO Auto-X feeler

msix
03-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Last year in the fall the MCO (Motorsport Club of Ottawa) proposed a Auto-X taster for the newbies. Well it was too late in the season and did not happen, but it was promised for this year in the spring.

So we got some dates set now and want to know what kind of interest there really is.

What we want to provide is a day for everybody to come out and have some LEGAL fun with your car in a safe and controlled environment.
We will set up a Auto-X (also called SOLO II) course at the Corel Centre.
It will not be competitive and some of our SOLO II veterans will be there to provide rides or go out with you in your car to teach you some techniques.
We will take times at your request.

WHEN: May 14/05 (later in the morning, probably around 10:30am)
WHERE: Corel Centre Parking lot (North east corner)
COST: we want to keep it as cheap as possible and if we can hold last year's price, it will be $20.-

Let me know if you are interested.

There will be a formal 'Ground control school' the following day. This school will teach you specific techniques for SOLO II through various exercises and will prepare you for Auto-X. This training will also make you a much better driver on the street.
This is a one-on-one training with Classroom sessions and an Instructor for each student. The price for this one-day school is $125.- for members and $150 for non-members.

Thanks for your interest,

Klaus

Bob Loblaw
03-09-2005, 03:10 PM
I don't think I have anything planned for the 14th of May. I'll have to double-check. If I'm free, I'll be there.

aziz
03-10-2005, 11:07 AM
are we going through those stupid roads again? i loved the drive back but my car is going to be lowered + lip on the front bumper......if so...i'm out.

Bob Loblaw
03-10-2005, 11:32 AM
are we going through those stupid roads again? i loved the drive back but my car is going to be lowered + lip on the front bumper......if so...i'm out.

??

This is an autocross session, not a meet/cruise.

aziz
03-10-2005, 11:24 PM
damn it....me=stupid

chromius
03-12-2005, 02:08 AM
I think I would be in. I think if it were other newbies doing it too, I wouldn't feel so bad, cuz I am bound to make an ass of myself :D

msix
03-12-2005, 10:27 AM
CORRECTION!!!
the date for the "Indroduction to SOLO II" has moved to Sunday, May 15/05

the date for the SOLO II SCHOOL is now on Saturday, May 14/05.

As explained above, the School is with Instructors and Classroom session, the "Introduction to SOLO II" is an fun day for people (newbies) to come out and try this. We will have experienced drivers there that will give you rides in their cars and also will come for a drive with you to guide you through the course and show you the lines.

The emphasis is to have fun, learn a few new tricks and maybe meassure up against some of your friends. And you can do this in a SAFE and controlled and LEGAL way.

Some of you have watched me last year at one of the events and seen how competitive a BMW can be. I am always sad not to see any BMWs out at the events. This is a great car, try it out, with a few modification it is almost unbeatable.

Where is everyone, there was a lot more interest last year when we announced this event first.

Klaus

chromius
03-12-2005, 11:41 AM
i'm sure there would be many others interested, however the ottawa people arn't very active in the meets section, especially in winter :) A pm or maybe a post in the e30/e36 section might get some attention.

Lee in Ottawa
03-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm in for the fun session. I ended up selling the e30 i had so i guess i'm gonna have to trow the e34 around the cones instead. Should be a awsome time! Klaus do u auto x with your m50 e30? Or do you have another one?

Nascar318is
03-12-2005, 04:09 PM
I'd go and check it out but not participate.....like last year :)

jeffrie
03-13-2005, 11:24 AM
I think I would be in. I think if it were other newbies doing it too, I wouldn't feel so bad, cuz I am bound to make an ass of myself :D

I could be the other newbie spinning out on the other side of the coarse.
May 14 sounds good to me.

aziz
03-13-2005, 12:00 PM
i'll hit any tree, think i am in 65%.

03-16-2005, 11:39 PM
I could be the other newbie spinning out on the other side of the coarse.
I don't think you'll be the only one, count me in *th-up*.

i'll hit any tree, think i am in 65%.
I don't doubt it hahah :D.

bmdbley'sBro
04-28-2005, 04:48 PM
$20 bucks *love*

My bro and I will be there more then likely!!

*th-up*

msix
04-28-2005, 06:45 PM
thanks for the bump

REMINDER
INTRODUCTION TO SOLO 2 IS ON SUNDAY, MAY 15

Saturday is the formal Solo 2 school. If you want to get a jump on your competition for sunday, --> go to the Solo school on Saturday.

Klaus

Bob Loblaw
05-02-2005, 10:16 AM
I don't think I have anything planned for the 14th of May. I'll have to double-check. If I'm free, I'll be there.

Change of plans. Family stuff came up.

Sorry about that, Klaus.

jeffrie
05-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Klaus is this still on for Sunday? and is price set yet for sure? 20 bucks right...

msix
05-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Klaus is this still on for Sunday? and is price set yet for sure? 20 bucks right...

yep, everything is still a GO! *th-up*

$20 for everybody,
COREL Centre, North-east Parking lot (close to the 417)
starts around 11am, but be there a liitle earlier, around 10am so you can get your car ready and registration etc.
helmets are available, FREE
expereinced drivers on hand to help with advice and give rides FREE
course will be easy to follow
timed runs
but no official results
If you want to compete in the offical SOLO II series, come on out on the next sunday, May 22, where we will open the season with our first event.

Better yet, take the SOLO School on this Saturday, you will learn all the tricks and have a chance to practice.

show of hands, who will be comming out on sunday???

start list here:

Klaus

jeffrie
05-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Jeffrey *th-up*

yanatron
05-10-2005, 03:56 PM
20 bucks? wow..i might be in!

Nascar318is
05-10-2005, 03:59 PM
20 bucks? wow..i might be in!

Woohoo another lad from Ottawa, check out the 29th cruise *th-up*

yanatron
05-10-2005, 04:33 PM
the 29th? maaaan...my paint job/suspension is scheduled in july...oh well..i'll represent with a rusty 318

jeffrie
05-10-2005, 05:15 PM
^^^ Yanatron was that you who past me on the 50 near Buckingham last week?

Nascar318is
05-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Anyone going to check this out tomorrow???? Jeff are you still going???

jeffrie
05-14-2005, 10:24 PM
Yep I'll be their. Klaus won't lol something bigger and better ealswere.

chromius
05-14-2005, 11:02 PM
I'll be there :) You guy's wanna meet up for a coffee first, then cruize out to the corel center?

jeffrie
05-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Could meet at the timmy's on St.patricks-King Edward around 9am.
No reply I'll just meet at the Corel center at 10am.

msix
05-16-2005, 05:42 PM
I hope you guys had fun on sunday. As Jeffrie said, I had something else (more important) comming up.

Let's just say I had my fun for three days at Watkins Glen.

Are there some of you comming out to the first real event this sunday? I'll be there this time for sure.

Klaus

Nascar318is
05-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Let's just say I had my fun for three days at Watkins Glen.

Klaus

Watkins Glen...man I'm so Jealous of you...is your last name Graf by any chance?...(I'm a huge nascar fan)

Hmm were you testing for the upcoming Nextel Cup race on August 14th????

Lee in Ottawa
05-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Sorry i'm late here are a few shots of the event. Only stayed to see the max guys make one run so didn't get to many.

Lee in Ottawa
05-16-2005, 07:45 PM
one more of a m3, i think i know whos it is but not 100% scotth?

jeffrie
05-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Glad you didn't take too many pics of us all going "off coarse".

Lee in Ottawa
05-16-2005, 07:59 PM
hahaha no i was olny there long enough to see that idiot in the volvo almost take out that subaru and offcourse dave taking out the cone.

msix
05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Watkins Glen...man I'm so Jealous of you...is your last name Graf by any chance?...(I'm a huge nascar fan)

Hmm were you testing for the upcoming Nextel Cup race on August 14th????

NASCAR??? no way, those guys are chicken (at Watkins Glen anyways) they take a shortcut, the so-called NASCAR Straight, that cuts out the most fun part of the course, down the chute and the boot. I guess it's too many tight right hand turns there.

I was there with the area BMW Club, they had a Performance Driving School.
Watkins Glen is a great track, you really have to be there to get the feeling of these elevation changes, you never able to see that on TV.

One of my favourite tracks.

Anyways, I hope to see some of you out on sunday.

klaus

jeffrie
05-16-2005, 08:39 PM
I won't be their this Sunday, I'll be Camping....Keep posting the next ones pls.
I had a blast & need more....

chromius
05-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I had a great time on sunday, lost a little rubber on the tires but still had fun :D

Thanks for letting us know about it Klaus *th-up*, Sorry I won't be able to make it this sunday, I'm going up to the cottage, there arn't too many long weekend's so gotta take advantage of them when they come up. I will definitly try and make it to the next one though.

And Lee, Very nice pics. *th-up*

Nascar318is
05-17-2005, 08:12 AM
Klaus: Yeah I know what you mean by shortcut...at least they didn't take out the Chicane....

Jeff:Why are there so many cones on the ground :P

Looks like it was fun...I wanted to go but nobody posted a confirmation...so I stayed home and played with my wire....

To everyone: don't forget about the 29th!!!!!

That M3 has a burnt out headlight *shiner*

chromius
05-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Looks like it was fun...I wanted to go but nobody posted a confirmation...so I stayed home and played with my wire....

excuses excuses, you just really wanted to play with your wire. :P

chromius
05-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Dave and I decided to do a little photoshoot after the autox on sunday, here is the link to the pics... *th-up*

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=612923&posted=1#post612923

bmdbley'sBro
05-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Sorry i'm late here are a few shots of the event. Only stayed to see the max guys make one run so didn't get to many.

*th-up* awesome!
only pic of my car running as somebodies bro
couldn't manage to snap a shot(or vid) with my camera

thanks man.

chromius, I followed your link good stuff.. *par-t*

chromius
05-17-2005, 02:19 PM
*th-up* awesome!
only pic of my car running as somebodies bro
couldn't manage to snap a shot(or vid) with my camera

thanks man.

chromius, I followed your link good stuff.. *par-t*

I got a couple of pics of your car, they just didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. but here ya go *th-up*

bmdbley'sBro
05-18-2005, 12:26 AM
http://www.montrealracing.com/forums/images/smilies/beer.gif

thanks mang!

yanatron
05-18-2005, 01:35 AM
man..im hella disappointed in myself for missing it!

Nascar318is
05-18-2005, 08:20 AM
man..im hella disappointed in myself for missing it!

Could always come on the 29th cruise *th-up*

bmdoubleya
05-18-2005, 11:45 AM
http://www.montrealracing.com/forums/images/smilies/beer.gif

thanks mang!

HAHAH it looks like it's going to roll over... Solid rear axle.. *mumble*

Nascar318is
05-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Hey Guys you never told us where you placed...here's the link for the results of the 15th.....

http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3995

chromius
05-26-2005, 10:15 AM
that's cuz i did horribly. *mumble* . Besides, I didn't do very many runs, and I know I could have done better, I really was just there to get a feel for it. I also should have been in class C, and at first the guy put me in there, then he changed his mind and put me in B, as he said I was borderline B/C, but he was rating me based on a 325i, which I am not, so C is where I should I have been. and in that case I would have done better.

But the above is really just an excuse to make myself feel better for sucking so bad. *shiner*

aziz
05-26-2005, 11:55 AM
But the above is really just an excuse to make myself feel better for sucking so bad. *shiner*

you are honest though :D

jeffrie
05-28-2005, 07:11 AM
I was #21 from class C 9th place, Still sucked myself but then again I only did one run that counted before I lost my exhaust. I'm also trying to make myself feel better........

Greetings from the other side...

bmdoubleya
05-28-2005, 11:30 AM
How did they determine which car goes in which class..?

msix
05-29-2005, 08:32 PM
The MCO is using a very simplified classification system. We are using a modified version of the CASC-OR SOLO I classifying system that lists cars in their stock form based on HP to weight ratios and an handling index. This list gives us a starting percentage.
We have modified this a bit for SOLO II and put more emphasis on handling characteristics of cars.

Once we have established the percentage for your car in stock form, we asign points for any type of modifications. Better suspension, engine work, brakes, weight reduction, tires, etc. This will move you up into another class based on your accumulated points, or maybe leave you in the same class if you plan it propperly.

The MCO is using only 4 classes, this is very simplified since we do not have that many people comming to our events as in Toronto. Other clubs use a system that has sometimes over 30 different classes. Now there is often only one or two cars in certain classes and specially if you don't have that many competitors, there are some cars pretty lonely in their class. That's why we are using a different system.

See more here:
http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php?name=Content&pid=26

If you do not agree with the classification of your car you can certainly appeal it and argue your case. At that "Introdution to SOLO II" event they did not classify very strict and may have not put everyone in the right class. If you intend to compete further, you can certainly look up your car on that list in the link above and add up your modifications and then see were you end up.
Actually, it is up to the competitor to classify their own car. We just do a Tech inspection to make sure the cars are in safe conditions and help out with the right classing in case of questions.

Another point, don't be disapointed with a not so good finish at that last event. It's your first event, the ONLY WAY to get further up the ranks is not by getting "Go faster mods", it's SEAT TIME. My car is well sorted out but certainly not a supercar, but I beat much faster (on the street) cars on a regular basis. There is a guy in a stock Saturn in the lowest class (Class D) who beats most of the time the fastest cars in class C. You want to get good in driving, you've got to invest some time (SEAT TIME).

Hope to see some of you out again at an event.

Klaus