PDA

View Full Version : BOOMERANG tracking worth it????

M3speed
03-07-2005, 04:25 PM
just curious to hear your thoughts on the boomerang tracking sercive, does anyone here have it?? is it worth getting??

Gianpaolo_E46
03-07-2005, 05:36 PM
yea i have it on my e46 and we just got it when we bought my mom's x5, its a safe thing to have just in case and it really does work. one time i gave my car to the dealer for something and i gave em a spare without the boomerang (we have boomerang 2) and the second they turned the car on and moved it boomerang called my house reporting that it might be stolen. its expensive to install plus monthly monitoring but there might be an insurance rebate for having it

paul
03-07-2005, 06:22 PM
i have it worth it

BigD
03-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Randy drove his Dad's Porsche with boom 2 for a half hour with the valet key without getting a call. Get the DEI (Viper or Clifford) tracker, it's GPS, totally kickass.

M3speed
03-08-2005, 06:05 AM
thanks for the opinions guys!

97M3/4
03-08-2005, 12:52 PM
My friend has an ITR with boomerang 2, his car was stolen last year. He still has his car, i would say it was worth it.

EMPOWERD
03-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Like Dmitri said, i've haven't had the best experience with Boomerang... especially their customer service. I've heard many other cases (ask Rolled_Out) of "not receiving a phone call" when the car is moved with the valet key. I'd say go with another brand (most of which allow you to monitor your own car over internet GPS - and cost LESS monthly). Good example is DEI's tracking unit that uses both GPS and Cellular networks for locating your car.

erikIS
03-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Prevents amateurs..

You htink pros don't know how to locate it and have special equiptment to do so?

M3speed
03-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Like Dmitri said, i've haven't had the best experience with Boomerang... especially their customer service. I've heard many other cases (ask Rolled_Out) of "not receiving a phone call" when the car is moved with the valet key. I'd say go with another brand (most of which allow you to monitor your own car over internet GPS - and cost LESS monthly). Good example is DEI's tracking unit that uses both GPS and Cellular networks for locating your car.

thanks, i'll look into DEI as well

M3speed
03-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Prevents amateurs..

You htink pros don't know how to locate it and have special equiptment to do so?

you're probably right, if thieves really want your car, they'll find ways to get it but having tracking on my car will give me more peace of mind when i leave it parked

Gianpaolo_E46
03-08-2005, 03:57 PM
apperantly its impossible to remove once its installed, it can only be deactivated, only the people who install it (not many) know where it is and even then i dont think you can take it out.

///Greco540
03-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Boomerang still uses CDMA triangulation for tracking. Vigil IMO is wheer tracking is at. Vigil provides you with online service as well, so you can track your car and see the speed its travelling at. You can also from their website, unlock your doors, or start the car. For example lets say you work in a high rise and park the car 2 blocks away in a parking lot. Log on to Vigils site, before you leave the office and start the car.

http://www.vigilgps.com/

erikIS
03-08-2005, 05:51 PM
You know what they do,

They put your car in a special container large enough for them to work/strip/ship.. which is covered in some kind of special material which doesnt permit for the GPS signal to be transmitted... kinda like when you go underground with a cell phone you loose your signal.

It gives htem time to strip the car and locate the special tracking device..

erikIS
03-08-2005, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=Gianpaolo_E46]apperantly its impossible to remove once its installed, it can only be deactivated, only the people who install it (not many) know where it is and even then i dont think you can take it out.[/QUOT

I dont know about that,

Being a previous Acura fan..... iv heard of oh so many ITRS (Integra TYpe Rs) equipped with Boomerangs that havent been found still today...

anything that is manmade, can be broken, altered, defeated by someone smarter

2002+ Mercedes S class.. my uncles friend in Poland had it started (with all his equiptment) in less then 2 minutes.. then the front seats slided forward and locked him in the car! hahahahaha.. BUT the germans said "The car is undefeatable.. theftwise".. he showed me tools and lots of gizmos gadgets.. he could take a new M3 in less then 1 minute and have it fully operational.

NickP
03-08-2005, 06:13 PM
You know what they do,

They put your car in a special container large enough for them to work/strip/ship.. which is covered in some kind of special material which doesnt permit for the GPS signal to be transmitted... kinda like when you go underground with a cell phone you loose your signal.

It gives htem time to strip the car and locate the special tracking device..

Its not even that complicated anymore.

erikIS
03-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Yeah, but id definetly recommend boomerang if you are really concerned about your baby.., but then again, I wouldn't want a car back thats been taken for a nice joytrip for the last 5-6hours and beaten the shit on.. Id rather have insurance cut me a nice fat check and get myself something newer/better.. Make sure you have your mods covered...Like i said...90% chance of yuor car being recovered for sure!

But other then that, thats what insurance for.. when shit gets stolen

M3speed
03-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Boomerang still uses CDMA triangulation for tracking. Vigil IMO is wheer tracking is at. Vigil provides you with online service as well, so you can track your car and see the speed its travelling at. You can also from their website, unlock your doors, or start the car. For example lets say you work in a high rise and park the car 2 blocks away in a parking lot. Log on to Vigils site, before you leave the office and start the car.

http://www.vigilgps.com/

im checking out their site, looks cool, i never heard of these guys before

EstorilM3
03-10-2005, 08:26 PM

I had a similar experience once where I never received a phone call when I forgot to bring the fob with me.
But it wasn't Boomerang that was the problem; the problem was the jackarse shop that installed the Boomerang II in the car.
They never informed the Montreal office of what brand my car was, what model, what it's VIN was or even what colour it was!!! Nothing!
So, here I was driving for about a year (around Canada, and USA) thinking all along that the device worked as advertised.

Needless to say, I went apeshiet, so they gave me one free year of tracking.

I did test it afterwards (pretending I forgot the fob again...!!!), and it worked as designed - got a call in less than two minutes.

So, the device works like a charm, AS LONG AS Boomerang is advised by the installer that it's there.

BTW, there are no marks or stickers or anything to say that you have it.
Not sure how would the thieves know you have it, until they move the vehicle without the fob, and then it's too late!

JazzM
03-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Ummm... you guys forgot the obvious - Tow truck. Which is also a means by which especially high end cars are stolen. The vehicle doesn't even need to be started.

Keep in mind that even if you have GPS on your car, it will NOT work indoors. GPS needs a clear view of the sky to get an accurate fix.

T.