PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Rims

OILERS
03-03-2005, 05:53 PM
guys, i'm looking for some places that fix rims. i read an earlier thread from a while back there is a place on finch and weston called rim techniques. and another place in uxbridge called wheel fix, but uxbridge is too far.

anyone know of any other places in the GTA preferrably mississauga, so i can compare some prices.

Mystikal
03-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Wheelfix comes to your door and picks up the rim(s), and returns it when they are done the job. I used them once, highly recommended.

johnoz
03-03-2005, 10:33 PM
If you use wheelfix watch out for the wild lady !!!!!!

windwagen
03-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Is it bent from a pothole? File a claim with the city!!! (or province)

Mystikal
03-04-2005, 12:07 AM
If you use wheelfix watch out for the wild lady !!!!!!

Are you talking about the delivery/pickup woman?

MarkD
03-04-2005, 01:02 AM
Wheelfix comes to your door and picks up the rim(s), and returns it when they are done the job. I used them once, highly recommended.

Well I had to use them 3 times on the same wheel, which is now trash because they just kept screwing up, plus they shaved the wheel down so the metal was very thin, and also ruined the s03 that was on it.
Whoever was working on it was on some cheap drugs.

And yes, I am talking about Wheel Fix in Uxbridge. They also took about 3 or 4 weeks to start working on it the last time, and I just asked for it back but by that time there was no chance of salvaging the wheel as they started to try and fix it after I asked them to return it. The main problem is that they didn't make a proper weld the first and second time, so a 1 cm problem turned into a 18 cm !!!! weld.

Not highly recomended for fixing cracks. This was a BMW M-Parallel wheel.

Maybe they are better at fixing small dents and scratches.

thinair
03-04-2005, 07:58 AM
I too have been to the wheelfix with my 19's, awesome work. I highly recommend them.

MarkD
03-04-2005, 08:32 AM
I too have been to the wheelfix with my 19's, awesome work. I highly recommend them.

Did they fix a bend, or a crack? I've heard lots of praise, but none was from people that needed a small crack fixed. It was from people with slightly bent wheels.

MarkD

johnoz
03-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Are you talking about the delivery/pickup woman?

Yup

OILERS
03-04-2005, 09:31 AM
my rim is bent from a frickin' pothole. at low speeds you can feel it pretty good.
i'm gonna put in a claim. who do i call. does the city come and look at your rim, how does it work.
as for wheelfix, how much did you guys pay for the repair on average. i don't want them to pick up my tire, then return it and say it's $500 or something. if i go somewhere local i can bring the rim myself and they can give me a quote there.

but from what you guys are saying, wheelfix sounds pretty good, i'll have to give them a call and see.

marco328is
03-04-2005, 09:41 AM
go see nigel at rim technics
he charges me $150 a rim
it's a little pricey, but the color of my rims is costs alot

thinair
03-04-2005, 09:44 AM
The wheel fix will not pick up only one wheel.

And my my 19's was to pull out a dented lip, they did pull off the tire for it too (a semi stretched 235/35 on a 9" wide rim), on my friends VW, a 4" chunk of lip had broke off. He took the chunk and the wheel to the wheel fix, they welded it back on, and refinished it, the wheel looks like nothing has ever happened, and hasn't ever leaked air.

I paid like $100 to fix one main dent, but they did all the minor dents on the inside of the wheel that I didn't even know about.

Blades
03-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Is it bent from a pothole? File a claim with the city!!! (or province)

damn i never knew you could do that .. do they actually buy for the damage?

Do you have a #

BMW_7
03-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I have a 1" or maybe 3/4" chip on my lip, and some clearcoat thats coming off. Does wheelfix work on clearcoat problems?

Does anyone know if they powdercoat wheels as well?

Mystikal
03-04-2005, 12:01 PM
The wheel fix will not pick up only one wheel.

Yeah they will. Why wouldn't they? :confused:

Maybe they are better at fixing small dents and scratches.

I remember you telling me about your bad experience with them, sorry to hear that, Mark. My wheel was severely curbed and scratched; they had to straighten the rim, beadblast it (I believe), and completely refinish it. The cost was somewhere around $250. The rim had a severe imbalance at speed, although it looks like just a scuff it was quite bent.

They turned this:

http://premium1.uploadit.org/mystikal325//DSCN2520.jpg

In this:

http://premium1.uploadit.org/mystikal325//DSCN2529.jpg

Dead straight afterwards, too. I can't comment on crack repair though, which is what Mark is mentioning here.

///Maluco
03-04-2005, 12:02 PM
For straightening out bent wheels:
The Wheel Fix *th-up*
1041 Hwy. 47 Uxbridge, Ontario L9P 1R3 CANADA
Phone: +1 (905) 985-4758 Fax: +1 (905) 985-5272
Contact John Jacobsen
E-Mail: questions@wheelfix.com
They do pick-up and drop-off, but don't know what the min. qty you'll need to have for this privilege.
Comment: Used them before for straightening out 3 sets of 18" TSW's and they did a great job. I have no experience with them on cracks wheels.

For respraying wheels to make them look new again:
Collision Networks Inc *th-up*
905-669-1665
140 Doughton Road,
Concord, ON L4K 1R3
Contact Steve Rotenberg
They are South/East of Hwy7 and Jane.
Comment: Used them to respray two wheels and they did a great job. We also use them to prep and paint our prototype parts. They also reapair and refinish a fair amount of OEM Porsche, Subaru, etc. wheels.

marco328is
03-04-2005, 06:12 PM
that'll cost about 125 at rim techniqs

Pawel_11_11
03-04-2005, 08:30 PM
With aluminum rims they can be repaired fairly nicely, but the metal will be a lot weaker and more proned to further cracking. if it you just cave some curb rash then what they do is take a layer of metal off the edge with a laid and more or less polish them up. Since everyone basically does it the same way its all about convenience and location, theres a place in london thats called... "Jims speed" (I dont have a number sorry) and they quoted me $40 to do it would be approx and hour and a half work... but my dammage wasn't as bad as yours. And theres a couple places in Hamilton (stoney creek) that are supposed to be good but they charge 100-150. Wheel Wizards 905-544-9651, and DK Tire 905-664-6322... GOOD LUCK! haha

328power
03-04-2005, 08:33 PM
carcones in richmond hill i heard was good

windwagen
03-04-2005, 11:04 PM
damn i never knew you could do that .. do they actually buy for the damage?

Do you have a #

MTO's insurance co paid me almost $700.00 to repair 2 wheels and an alignment

OILERS
03-10-2005, 11:08 AM
for the guys that have called the city to pay for the damages to their rims. does the city come and look at your rims before you fix them.
how long did it take to get paid.

windwagen
03-10-2005, 04:47 PM
No one looked at the wheels. I had to fax them all the receipts I paid for. It took 3 months, but the people at MTO's insurance company were very helpful and friendly, and didn't mind if I called every week for an update.