PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Center Edition 2005 - OEM $170 obo

johnoz
02-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Windows Media Center Edition 2005 - OEM

Brand New, with serial#,licence, original 2 CD set & booklet.
No remote

Never been activated

Asking $170 obo

Tigerdirect sells it $250:
http://tinyurl.com/4ky9r

///MAC
02-15-2005, 10:49 AM
whats media center do ???

johnoz
02-15-2005, 11:13 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx

1BADRIDE
02-15-2005, 03:24 PM
It's Windows XP Home + software to use your TV Tuner/DVD ROM (you must provide the DVD Decoder)/Picture viewer w/remote. You have to have a supported PVR card (standard TV Tuner cards DO NOT WORK). There are some more features like online TV guide, etc...

I run it right now. Recording and playback quality is poor compared to even the most basic TV Tuner s/w out there.

$170 is a fair price. (I paid $180 wholesale for mine). If you're willing to go $100 as a last resort, I'll definitely take it.

BUMP TO THE TOP!

johnoz
02-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Actually not to make a sale since there are couple people who are interested picking the up the OS soon but I wanted to clarify some picture quality issues due to lack of decoder/encoder since I was thinking same as you and had same results as you (I tried 2 AIW and 2 Hauppauge tuners).

My conclusion is that it's not the tuner but it's the video card with the video(TV)-out engine that particular card has.

The current set-up I have has amazing recording and playback quality due to the Radeon X600 Pro 256MB PCI-Express card that I have. I even connect it to TV with RCA cable (due to lack of long S-Video cable ).
I am using plain vanilla DVD decoder/encoder that Powercolor X600 card ships (will look up what it is once I am at home).

NVidia cards (esp el cheapo FX5200) has the best Video-out quality. Nvidia also has it's own very impressive decoder/encoder software.

Admittably HTPC hasn't matured yet and having growing pains but overall my results are very satisfactory (even on a cheap ass conventional 27" Toshiba flatscreen CRT TV).

I am now in the process of quieting the system down. Today I will be trying passively cooled Radeon 9250 PCI card and will post results. For me the X600 Pro card is an overkill to take the time and effort to put a VGA silencer since I never play video games.

PS: Forgot to mention. Win MCE 2005 is actually Win XP Professional based. Not the Win XP Home. The CDs that I have also have SP2 Slipstreamed.

1BADRIDE
02-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Ummm no. Not exactly anyways.

The quality issues are actually underlying issues with the limitations of .WMV format (.dvr-ms is just a slightly modified version).

Using ANY OTHER PVR/DVR software (i.e. WINFAST PVR), I get PHENOMENAL results. Using Windows media encoder or the Media Centre Edition software, the video quality is quite poor in comparison. You also lack the capability to adjust bit rates, frame rates, etc... On top of those issues, once you record a show, you cannot burn it to DVD (and if you use a file converter to convert to MPEG, you'll see what I mean by poor quality). MCE also has built in copyright enforcement. This means if you record an HBO show, you cannot play it elsewhere due to the "protected content" signal that is embedding in the video header.

You are correct that it is BASED on Windows XP Pro, however the option to join a domain is "locked out". There is a workaround for it, but in doing so, Microsoft will never provide support.

I am currently using the MCE software strictly for watching low quality (Standard) TV and for some recordings that I do not care to burn to DVD. For shows and movies that I rip directly from TMN/TMNOD/VOD(Rogers)/and PPV - I use Winfast PVR and it gets me DVD quality rips.

I am currently using a reasonably high end machine with a Radeon 9800 XT @ 450/400 with a custom made 56CFM x 2 fan based cooling device in conjunction with a modified factory heatsink.

I am going to upgrade my system soon, and when I do, I am going to implement an interconnected phase change solution that I started developing last year. Can you say 6Ghz @ subzero? :) :) :) Hopefully I'll have time to finish it soon.

Oh - and my system produces less noise than a supermodel farting in a crowded elevator.

1BADRIDE
02-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Oh, and I'm not trying to knock this sale - it's definitely a GOOD DEAL!