PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Advice please!

djs21234
02-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Hello, trying to stay within my budget and buy a 2001 or 2002, 325i for under $25k. Question is, do the 325's stay "new" for long time. I don't want to get a car with 35-45k mileage on it only to find it feels old or needs lots of work already or within a couple years,

Thoughts?

Thanks

AlpWhitE46
02-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Hello, trying to stay within my budget and buy a 2001 or 2002, 325i for under $25k. Question is, do the 325's stay "new" for long time. I don't want to get a car with 35-45k mileage on it only to find it feels old or needs lots of work already or within a couple years,

Thoughts?

Thanks

Hey, i dont know if its really possible to get a 2002 or 2001 325 with 35-45 k... sounds a bit too low...
looking at our 320i...which is 2002 and has 40,000 km...can sell about 25-26k..

You will not have to worry about it feeling old or needing any work...just as long as the previous owned has taken good care of it, has all the service records , and is not some young kid abusing the car!

BMW_M52_M20
02-12-2005, 10:52 PM
BMW's will last forever if maintained properly.....they will come to bite you in the ass though $$ wise if anything is needed, thats just the nature of german cars........parts/labour are generally more expensive.

Try to get a certified series.....
Jay

AlpWhitE46
02-12-2005, 10:56 PM
just realized ur in the states, scratch out my comment about the prices.

KaschmirBeige3
02-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Thoughts?
Thanks

Have a look at your local BMW dealership and check out their Certified Pre-Owned inventory. Here in NYC there are ALOT of '02 325i's coming off leases now that can be had for around $21K. All of the CPO's have been maintained by the BMW dealers since we all have the included maintainance plans. Hope this helps!

alexm520
02-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Thoughts?
Thanks

Obviously ask for all paperwork (ie, of anything fixed) and check for the following common E46 issues (can be repaired under warranty):

> Control arm bushings - (does the steering wheel vibrate when you brake at freeway speeds)
> window regulators (check all windows, watch for jerkiness when they go down)
> the centering spring inside the transmission was shooted - a local dealership told an acquaintance recently this is becoming a common problem on 4-5yr old E46 >>>> I hope this is not as common :eek:

And of course check out this post:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=535040&postcount=9

AlexM520

Bmwstylz
02-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Buy privately !! I recently test drove a 2000 325Ci coupe with 120,000 Highway KM. The car was imaculate condition , drove like new

price : $20,000 Canadian. Hell of a deal

Bumer
02-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Have a look at your local BMW dealership and check out their Certified Pre-Owned inventory. Here in NYC there are ALOT of '02 325i's coming off leases now that can be had for around $21K. All of the CPO's have been maintained by the BMW dealers since we all have the included maintainance plans. Hope this helps!

I am looking for e46 too, in Toronto 2001 325I - CA$27,000 low km.
I would't go for private purchase - too much troubles *no-no* you never know what can happen.

Not shure, but i heard if you trade your old BMW for new one, they can give you good price for your old car (more then autotrader) :confused:

Nascar318is
02-17-2005, 11:24 AM
I am looking for e46 too, in Toronto 2001 325I - CA$27,000 low km.
I would't go for private purchase - too much troubles *no-no* you never know what can happen.

Not shure, but i heard if you trade your old BMW for new one, they can give you good price for your old car (more then autotrader) :confused:

Well private you save on taxes so when you spend $25g's that a good chunk of change....You can have alot of trouble but you have to take your risks...dealers are shaddy as well just look up some of the horrer stories on here.

They will give you more for your car for sure especially if you are trading up to a new one......If you get a $60K brand new car they don't care if they give you 2-5 grand more then what you would have gotten in autotrader...because you are going to spend 60k and they don't want to loose that sale...

NB Euro Direct
03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
well it really depends how good you are around cars.
Usually take it from me. Most paperwork don't mean jack.
WHY?
Because it has already been fixed. People get hung up ON what was wrong with the car rather than what's wrong with it now. I only look at papers to see if anything else is affected and left untreated.
Well first thing is inspect the body, find little dents here and there(KEY to lowering price)
Find little thing fiddling around that are not supposed to be there anything wrong with the interior is a PLUS to get you to lower the price.
Talk with confidence. Ask the person if you could do a compression test. Ask them WHEN the oil was changed(usually if something wrong private sales change the oil to cover something up) hence why is important to do a CR test. See it's color, smell it. When you go there or leave an appointment make sure you ask him NOT to warm the car up for you. See how it starts on a cold day or the car just being cold. Check cars during day light time.
See the underbody and rust developing
make sure the signals are working, truck light etc. Play with every button in the car see if it's working.
Remember these little things are easy to fix and do not cost much BUT listing them to the owner will make most ppl's head spin therefore the price will drop.
Check the coolant colour, check the condition of the wires see if any of them have been spliced up. ASK why when how....
buy from private, dealers go BY a book value you will not negotiate a lot with them as you will with an individual and this way you are bound to come accross a not so highly inclined mechanical person than a person who is skilled to shove a car up your door.
I may have forgotten something if it comes back i will let you know

Bess

NB Euro Direct
03-02-2005, 11:12 PM
obviously take it for a drive and see the handling and rattling around, the pick up of an engine
The idle is important usually when something wrong ppl jack the idle up
Do your homework see what IS supposed to idle and ask why and don't take "It's been like that forever" stuff
if manual see how the tranny feel

any CLUK noise from the tranny or rear end are BAD news in the future
See how smooth the shifting is
braking, feel the pedal and see how it stops, any noises or the pedal is bumpy
check the gauges
oil pressure where it's at, where it's supposed to be
temp
then the car on idle open the hood and listen for any irregularities

if you buy the car do:
oil change
filter change
clean air/replace air filter
coolant flush
if you can get a hold do a foam flush of the engine
Check/replace vac hoses
tranny oil/fluid(if auto)
check the brakes and replace if neccessary

now i really dunno what else lol

hope it helped

Bess

d12
03-31-2005, 01:09 AM
i bought from private deal... a year later NOT A SINGLE problem, and i drive it pretty hard :D "knock on wood"

basically, when you buying it private, make sure the dude you buying from got all the service records from the dealership... that should give you the history of the car