PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Day anyone???

Bliss
01-12-2002, 04:15 PM
I know its a little early but thought i would ask anyways. In the summer we're thinking of having a dyno day. It would be for a fee though. who would be interested? just want to see if its worth even to think about.

Bliss
01-12-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ROB89M3
I'm gonna see what my E30 M3 2.5 Stroker really has!! I know it should be around 265hp at the crank.

At the crank??? are you serious?

Bliss
01-12-2002, 04:24 PM
Thats alot...didnt think it had thaaat much. cool.*th-up*

azn330i
01-12-2002, 07:04 PM
YES YES bring on the dyno day!! :cool: *th-up*

NickP
01-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Maybe after I do an engine buildup or conversion... not much fun seeing only 180 or so hp @ the crank :(

I just got a nasty door ding on my rear 1/4 panel... how would everyone feel about having a dent day? Hire a dent removal guy etc...

alibabajun
01-12-2002, 08:54 PM
I'd love to!!

..'cept, i'm kind of, on the other side of the country *uzi* :confused:

'88 325e
01-12-2002, 10:09 PM
I hope that I have my 1997/8 540i sport by spring time!!!

330DTM
01-13-2002, 12:29 AM
I won't be dynoing my car anytime b/c it's stock, but for sure I'd have my camcorder with me recording everything we see with our own eyes at the dyno centre :P

Usic
01-13-2002, 01:03 AM
I'm In fo SHOo

I think Brown Guy would be interested to...considering we're throwing a blower in his ride this march..

and I'll bring out my 6 with the 10psi pulley and 15 psi pulley...cause I'm itching to know how much ponies a blown "big six" makes!!:D

Lil'Smoothie
01-13-2002, 01:06 AM
When I get my car Ill do it, ive got a question, what do they give the results in? at the wheels or at the flywheel, and where does the E30 M3 have 190 stock hp, at the wheels of fly?

ThE bRoWn GuY
01-13-2002, 01:50 AM
Of course i'm in!!

330DTM
01-13-2002, 02:18 AM
ROB89M3,

haha yea that'l be my day to see a bunhc of bmw's being dyno'ed.. the engine sounds .. HEEEEEE! must get footage!

NickP
01-13-2002, 02:39 AM
Nick,if your car is a stock 325is it only has 168hp at the crank....if you say it has 180hp at the crank,then you must have mods on your car....is that true?

just getting some facts straight,thats all*th-up*

You're right, JimC and an air filter, 180's being optimistic I'm sure...

djc0ntra
01-13-2002, 03:36 PM
Sure i'll load my auto 325i on the dyno for perks, i'm sure it's got a little more horsepower than stock because of my cold air intake and exhaust. Plus i'm just curious if these improved performance or hindered it compared to stock stats.
My car seems extremely fast at 2000rpm and above, and i even held nose to nose with a 330i on the 401 the other day doing 190km/h before my auto tranny had to kick into final gear then the 330i kicked my ass =)

(dont try this @ home kids!!!)

EMPOWERD
01-14-2002, 01:03 AM
Rob,

Don't post.... or even talk about dyno figures "at the crank"!!! There is absolutely no way you'll ever figure out the output there unless you remove the engine and bolt it to an engine dyno. Numbers at the wheels is what counts and I don't think you'll get more than 215.

Anyone can go to a dyno, get 160rwhp and claim their car has a 23% friction loss which makes his car an "almighty" 197HP at the "crank" because of some dumb figure of 23% someone threw at him.

..... We will see.:rolleyes:

MPRESION
01-14-2002, 02:27 AM
I'm in. Just for curiosity though because my car is pretty much stock (engine wise... other then the exhaust)

Gamite
01-14-2002, 05:08 AM
I'm intersted, but my car is close to stock, maybe come summer time, I'll have my JimC and my intake.

EMPOWERD
01-14-2002, 08:26 AM
Everyone I talk to that has done a 2.5 conversion tells me that it has 265hp at the crank!
Even Bavarian Motors tells me the same thing...that's why I say I have 265hp at the cran...I did not dyno my car yet,so therefore I do not know what my car has at the wheel!!

..we shall see

oh and by the way,I do think that $8000 will give the car 70 extra horsepower by doing the conversion....we'll leave it at that:rolleyes:

Gee,

I hate to burst your bubble there Rob, but my friend Andrew has a Dinan Stroked 2.5L S14 and (they claimed also 265HP) it dynoed at 201 at the wheels (240 crank for those who like to throw big numbers)..... Think about it, Even the BMW M3EVO III had 238HP.... why the hell would your 13 year old (Bavarian Built too) M3 have 27HP more that that?

Get Real!*drunk*

GR8 Ride
01-14-2002, 12:35 PM
On this one as well. John is claiming nearly 300 HP in his car, but with all the work he's done on it, I figure he's is at about 260-270 HP (crank) at best. And that's with about $20,000 dropped into the engine ($3000 for head work alone).

Mike Booker (I hate spelling his last name....) is running about 300 HP out of an S14 engine, and gets by on 2 or 3 rebuilds a year. Yes, that motor is rebuilt 2 or 3 times a year. Sure, he runs it hard, and it's only run at Club Races, but the reality is the same.

265 HP is possible with your block, but as Randy says, results at the wheel(s) is the only stat that matters. Drivetrain losses from one vehicle to the next can vary quite a bit.

Pat

GR8 Ride
01-14-2002, 10:36 PM
Not likely. 25 HP for a chip is pretty exaggerated. Chips are great on a engine that is sandbagging it quite a bit, like the 3.2L US spec motors. Even the 2.5 / 2.8L motors respond quite well to chips, since they also have a lot of headroom in them. Even then, 25 HP out of a chip is highly unlikely. You can get 20-25 HP out of a 3.2L block with an OBDI conversion, a chip AND intake and exhaust. That's pretty much max, and we're dealing with significantly more displacement.

But the S14 motor is running on the ragged edge when you start to push it. 265HP is highly suspect (no offense, and I'm more than happy to see it at the dyno day...but I'd bet against it).

Mike's running 300 HP, and that's with Alpha N intake, and no airflow meter. His engine has also grenaded 3 times this year due to it. Yes, it makes great power, but also sacrifices reliability to do so. I'd seriously doubt yours is pushing 265HP if it's any flavour of reliable. John's motor died this year, and that's running just track days as well.

My best guess is 240-250 max out of your motor. However, being the bugger I am, I'm willing to stake a beer on the claim and will gladly pay up if I see otherwise at the dyno day.

Pat

Usic
01-14-2002, 11:06 PM
When is this "great" dyno day?
I need to put my car together before i can go

Bliss
01-14-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Usic
When is this "great" dyno day?
I need to put my car together before i can go
The date isnt set yet, but its gonna be in the spring/summer so im sure you'll have time.;)

ThE bRoWn GuY
01-15-2002, 05:01 AM
Cant wait!!

Gamite
01-15-2002, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Bad-Karma
Not likely. 25 HP for a chip is pretty exaggerated.

You think 25 is exaggerated? they say I get 41! LOL

EMPOWERD
01-15-2002, 10:02 AM
Rob,

You're bang on when you say everyone's lying about the power figures..... those numbers are never backed up.... if they were accurate in any way, it would be a figure at the wheels. You car also doesn''t have bored T-Bodies, aftermarket header... I bet you don't even know the specs on your cams (if you even have any)..... I've driven your can and also driven mine (dynoed at 222.9 at the wheels) and I'm pretty sure my car will take yours hands down in any race (without the blower)..... I guess only time will tell.

djc0ntra
01-15-2002, 11:00 AM
oooh, do i detect a challenge?
Tell me when and where, i wanna see this =)

EMPOWERD
01-15-2002, 12:18 PM
The dyno figures I achieved (222.9rwHP) was with a stock motor (well, a few bolt-ons)... now that I've sunk another $10,000 into it with the cams, blower, aftercooler, headwork...... I seriously don't think it would be a fair challenge. I don't want to be like some people and start throwing numbers around, but another 85HP at the wheels should sound right about now.... As long as I break the 300rwHP mark, I'll be happy. I guess we'll find out at the dyno day.;)

KIRASIR
01-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Here is an interesting dyno showing that it's not that easy to archive 10HP just by adding K&N filter as a lot of magazines claim. Another point to consider is that one day your car can dyno at 220hp, and next day at 210hp under identical weather conditions and temperature, all because of the stupid OBD-II and adaptation. So jump from joy all of you with OBDI.

;)

GR8 Ride
01-15-2002, 07:38 PM
Try just a 1 hour Enduro race....

Sitting in a car driving in a full fledged race for a full hour takes a lot more out of a person than one might think...

I used to race F-2000 cars, (one season only) and a 1 hour Enduro is nearly mind-numbing. It's a busy time, because unlike a driving school event, you NEVER have a chance to sit back and relax (such as the back straight at Mosport...).

Back on to the topic however, racing is one of those things in which a car that is well set up for straight line isn't generally one that is well set up for the track. Randy has some serious HP advantages over yours, but I do have to question the long term reliability of the blower setup. Not because there is anything wrong with yours Randy, but simply that too many people I know have had long term reliability problems (in track and/or race cars).

As a primarily *street* machine, forced air shouldn't represent any reliability issues.

Nonetheless, 300 RWHP in a car that probably weighs 2900 lbs or so is an interesting idea....I'm guessing, as I'm not sure how much your car weighs at the moment. (They were roughly 2750 lbs stock, but with the addition of the cage / stereo and likely removal of stock seats, and some interior pieces has changed that).

I don't recall, but did you put a cage in your Rob? As well, how much did you strip out of it? The E30 325 isn't much heavier (stock) than the E30 M3, and both cars can be stripped down to 2300-2400 lbs without much problem.

Pat

EMPOWERD
01-16-2002, 02:33 AM
Pat and Rob,

The only problem I'm encountering is wheelspin. I'm actually really big on weight savings and went through a lot to save a pound here and a pound there. Remember, the car was a shell when I started and I personally ripped out all the factory carpet, insulation, trunk dynamat, heater core, A/C components... even my windshield washer resevoir. The carpet in now is cheap automotive grade (read: thin!) stuff bought at Canadian Tire just to cover the steel floor.... hell, I can still hear every stone hitting the fenders when I roll through the paddocks after some hot laps. With the 18's, stereo, and gas (street form) the car weighs at the truck scales 2780lbs.... on the track I might shave a few with my 9lb race wheels and stereo box removed (small: 1 cu ft). I know very well that an inexpensive secret to speed is weight reduction!.... I love it when people like you Rob think the car weighs a ton with the cage and stuff.... if only you knew what's under the pretty skin!:D

GR8 Ride
01-16-2002, 11:46 AM
Did you say 9lb race wheels? And what size is that, and what the heck are they made out of?

I've seen 15/16 inch wheels getting down to the 15 lb range while still maintaing structural strength, but 9 lbs?

Holy sh!t that's light. My RK's weigh in at 16.5 lbs (weighed 'em myself), and I thought that was pretty light for a 17x8 wheel.

9lbs....damn.

Speaking of places to weigh a car, I'd like to weigh mine as well. I'm (wishfully perhaps) hoping I've got mine down to about 2700 lbs or so (E36, with absolutely EVERYTHING stripped out).

The E36 was quite a bit heavier than the E30's, so a lot more power needs to be added to balance out the increased bulk. It's fairly easy to get an E30 down to 2400 lbs (Allan Lewis' car is about that heavy), but nearly impossible to get an E36 that light.

2700 lbs is about as low as you can go, without replacing body panels with carbon fibre and/or fibreglass pieces. Of course, an acid dip would help as well, since you could easily get all the rust proofing off the bottom as well (which is another 100 lbs).

Pat

Bliss
01-17-2002, 08:06 PM
Does this mean no race? Randy and ROb?:(

GaryH
01-29-2002, 06:23 AM
Before my supercharger install, I dynoed 173 rwhp on my
'89 E30 M3 with just a chip.

Bsharked
01-30-2002, 12:15 AM
I m up for a dino day. My car has a jim conforty chip and would love to see if what they claim is true 42HP?????

SO COUNT ME IN

SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT...DAMN IT!!!!