PDA

View Full Version : E46 Emission Test

donkeyto1
01-30-2005, 08:50 PM
I got my emission test at Crappy Tire yesterday. Car passed easily.

When I got into the car and started it the cluster of lights stayed on. (traction control, emergency brakes etc.) I was not happy. I stormed into crappy thinking they really messed up!

To make a long story short, the lights go off after approx. 5 minutes of driving. Just a heads up for all of you before you go bonkers on the service guy like I did. *uzi*

Kal
01-30-2005, 09:22 PM
hey it happens sometimes ... i dont think they did anything for your lights to come on for 5 minutes and then dissappear right after.

OT: How old does your car have to be before your forced to get an emission test done? Becuase I thought it was for cars that are 10 years and older.. I could be wrong though.

Gianpaolo_E46
01-30-2005, 10:35 PM
nope i think its 3 years now. back when my mom had an volvo s80 she had to get an emissions test just before the lease was up

T.Dot_E30
01-30-2005, 11:37 PM
I do emissions test at work.

It comes on becus only two of the wheels are spinning, there the wheels sensors that the ABS systems uses knows this and therefore ABS wont work, bcus only two of the wheels are spinning, and two are not, which confuses the system making it think two are locked up, but no braking is done, so the system jus disables itself until things return to normal

Also in order for us to run the test the Traction Control has to be off, or the car doesn't let you run it.

lol you musta felt like an ass, but ya they should have told you that the light will stay on for a bit, i always tell my customers it will.

Most cars you turn the car off, and when u start it again it goes away, so maybe the tech that did yours tought that would happen and dind't tell u