PDA

View Full Version : 2001 325i Sedan - Ice Problem

sonny
01-19-2005, 12:46 AM
I've been noticing that the windows INSIDE my car are iceing up. NOTE: this ice is thick enough to have to be scraped off. I took my car to BMW Mississauga, and to no surprise, they couldn't figure out why. They just told me that all the seals on the car are nice and tight and there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If everything is fine, why is it still happening? It doesn't matter whether it is -1C or -20C, it still occurs. Any thoughts?

T.Dot_E30
01-19-2005, 01:17 AM
was your car ever in an accident?

Gianpaolo_E46
01-19-2005, 01:29 AM
tilt the sunroof when u park it

sonny
01-19-2005, 01:34 AM
No accidents. The sunroof was replaced just before winter. I'm assuming this is the root of the problem. Tilting the sunroof will achieve??

shimajer
01-19-2005, 09:06 AM
so air flows in...

my car is like tht too.. 2004 320i.. the windwos freeze up hahah so ghetto :huh?:

sonny
01-19-2005, 06:46 PM
This is not a permanent solution. It only started happening after they replaced the sunroof. If it's -20 outside, I am not going to tilt my sunroof.

bimmer_02
01-20-2005, 02:46 AM
oh ok, if you say ONLY AFTER THEY REPLACED THE SUN ROOF, then i think theres ur answer, theres must be some extra air coming in from the seals. plus when you come in the car and ur breathe gives out some warm air, the freezing cold windows will fog up right away and cause ice.

325isRED
01-20-2005, 12:14 PM
This is not a permanent solution. It only started happening after they replaced the sunroof. If it's -20 outside, I am not going to tilt my sunroof.

its not going to make it any colder in the morning, this is how i understand it... the reason why you are getting condinsation (sp?) on the inside is because after driving your car your interior is taking A LOT longer to cool down to outside tempurature, so by tilting the sunroof open a little while parked, it lets the interior cool down much faster and reduce the ammount of condinsation (again, sp?) and anything else would go through the top.

I had the same problem on my e36, and tilting the sunroof solved the problem!

just close it when you get in...

rad318Ti
01-20-2005, 05:26 PM
had the same problem.... tilted my sunroof and it did work for me too...

Deep 3.2TL
01-23-2005, 02:07 AM
I've been noticing that the windows INSIDE my car are iceing up. NOTE: this ice is thick enough to have to be scraped off. I took my car to BMW Mississauga, and to no surprise, they couldn't figure out why. They just told me that all the seals on the car are nice and tight and there shouldn't be anything to worry about. If everything is fine, why is it still happening? It doesn't matter whether it is -1C or -20C, it still occurs. Any thoughts?

Happen to my '99 323i all the time... Nothing you can do about it....

And the tilting open the roof solution - Obviously not a solution... Imagine opening your door and having to shovel out your car, just so you wouldn't get ice inside the windows!

Deep

sonny
01-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Exactly. Tilting the sunroof is not a solution.

bimmer_02
01-26-2005, 04:47 AM
wat if you dont have a sunroof, lol
i have that problem only in xtreme cold too by the way.

BMW_M52_M20
02-01-2005, 01:10 PM
Do you have winter mats in your car? IF they are carpet mats, sometimes they absorb moisture then partially freeze causing the inside of your car to have ice on the windows......

Saw it happen to A jetta when I worked at VW
Jay

sonny
02-01-2005, 11:56 PM
No, I have rubber mats in the car for the winter. Carpet mats for the summer.

paul christians
02-02-2005, 03:21 AM
there is a sheet of plastic in the doors.............

sonny
02-02-2005, 03:53 AM
I was at the dealership last week when we had those really low temperatures (-25C). Almost every 3 series I saw in the lot had ice inside the glass. The dealership really has no solution for this (this is what the mechanic told me).

Just need to vent...

My driver's side headlight was fogging up every time I washed the car, it rained, snowed etc. I take it to the dealership and they tell me it is "normal". They tell me to just turn the Xenon light on and it will clear up. Ok, so I do this in front of them and they wait 5 min, 10 min 30 min etc. Still foggy. Then they decide to replace the headlight lenses on the car. After that, it still was foggy. AGAIN, they tell me to leave the Xenon light on and it will clear up. (what was the point of changing the lense if you are telling me to still leave the xenons on?) 5 hours later, they decide to order a new headlight. This is a solid reason why you should not service your cars at BMW Mississauga. Poor service.

automadness
02-04-2005, 10:20 PM
hey well i got a celica for the winter and this car is the worst with ice and the windows fogging up ... but ya the only thing i can think of is leave ur sunroof open a crack or ur window and this helps my windows dont fog up when i do this the only thing when its like -30 u need to keep the heater cranked so u dont freeze

does any one know if there are ne anti fog products out here and if they work i tried a rain x one and it was worse