PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating wheels black...

GR8 Ride
08-12-2002, 12:04 PM
Ok, since I tend to get a TON of brake dust and track rubber all over my wheels, I'm seriously considering going from white, powdercoated wheels to black, powdercoated wheels.

All of this, on a white 3 series.

So, anybody have any idea how black wheels (BBS RKs, 17x8) will look on a white BMW?

Anybody good with Photoshop?

Pat

'88 325e
08-12-2002, 12:23 PM
Karma,

Go to:

Byers Bush Jet Coat
Mississauga
(close to Club108 - Dixie & Eglington)
(905) 625-4334

They did a sweet job on my 15" track wheels. Just go to the left side door and ask for Maria and tell her that you want to powdercoat your wheels black (It is $40/wheel and I think your car will have that mean race car look...I saw your car at Mosport).

Good Luck,
Dave
*th-up*

GR8 Ride
08-12-2002, 01:55 PM
Dave,

Yes, I talked to Maria the first time, and Byers-Bush powdercoated my wheels white the first time around.

Regardless, I was going to go to them to have them done whether I decided to get them done in black, or white.

The more people comment on it, the more inclined I am to go with black.

Pat

WASABI
08-12-2002, 03:02 PM
One of the main reasons that I bought dark rims is because of the amount dust brake that I noticed, even during every day driving. Second was looks, I'm not sure what happened (maybe race inspired by watching too many touring and GT races on TV), but I just fell in love with dark rims on light coloured cars (specially silver and white), some dark colours too. Now I'm looking into getting a set of lighter rims and yes, they definitely have to be dark (hyperblack/bronze/gun-metal):D ... Here's a pic of my recent wheels ... they call it hyperblack finish.

EMPOWERD
08-12-2002, 03:08 PM
HAHA! Figures that the first 2 replies are biased ones by owners of dark wheel'd rides. You guys crack me up!

Pat,

I personally hate the look of black wheels... maybe with a polished lip. Jasper's wheels are boarderline cause they aren't fully black. IMO track wheels shouldn't look as pretty as your white RK's... I know exactly what you go through to get them clean, so I'd say do it! Road wheels?... Hell no!

'88 325e
08-12-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by empowerd
HAHA! Figures that the first 2 replies are biased ones by owners of dark wheel'd rides. You guys crack me up!

Randy I think that Hawaiian shirt is causing you short term memory! LOL! I'm not touching my 18's! They are staying the way they are. So that wouldn't make me biased.

I have seen his car @ Mosport it looks awesome and I think the black wheels will give the car a mean race car look (since it already looks like one already he might as well take it up a notch!). If he wishes to get road wheels then he will get what he wants not what someone else likes.

Bad-Karma's car
V
V
V

'88 325e
08-12-2002, 03:16 PM
Rear view

WASABI
08-12-2002, 03:19 PM

LOL...:D :D :D Hey did you notice how many dark rims were at the show 'n shine? ... ;) :D

how about with a red lip?

Gamite
08-12-2002, 04:10 PM
blackies. Hope that helps.

WASABI
08-12-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
blackies. Hope that helps.

that's more like gun-metal ... but MUCH BETTER!*th-up* :D

Gamite
08-12-2002, 04:33 PM
If I made them totally black, you wouldnt be able to see the wheel.

GR8 Ride
08-12-2002, 06:10 PM

Pat,

I personally hate the look of black wheels... maybe with a polished lip. Jasper's wheels are boarderline cause they aren't fully black. IMO track wheels shouldn't look as pretty as your white RK's... I know exactly what you go through to get them clean, so I'd say do it! Road wheels?... Hell no!

Well, my *road wheels* are my 2-piece BBS RKs, which are staying the stock colour.

For track wheels, I'm not particularly concerned with what they look like, I'm just being lazy, and trying to avoid having white wheels that are essentially black from brake dust and track rubber anyway.

In looking at Gamite's photoshop job though, I must say as I prefer the look of white wheels over black ones.

Personally, I've never really been much of a fan of black wheels, but the only reason I'm doing this is because of the cleaning issue. Truly black wheels *might* look good on a white car....I don't know for sure.

The good thing is, at Byers Bush at least it's cheap enough to have it changed if I wanted to.

I look at Project M3 from European Car as an example, and while I LOVE Fikse's, in black that car just doesn't look quite right.

Pat

ROB89M3
08-12-2002, 11:03 PM
Pat,
you say your car is a track cer only,why do you care that your white wheels look black? Who cares what the car looks like. It's not a show car,it's a racecar!! :rolleyes:

I personally like the white wheels look. Looks much sportier.*th-up*
Black wheels don't look good at all cuz you can't see the design of them.Stick with the white..

ps: I'm not being racist here in any way...

'88 325e
08-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by ROB89M3
...I'm not being racist here in any way...

Dude? Have you been tipping grampa's cough medicine again? 'Cause I thought we were talking about wheels?!?!
*drink*

ROB89M3
08-12-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by '88 325e

Dude? Have you been tipping grampa's cough medicine again? 'Cause I thought we were talking about wheels?!?!
*drink*
hahaha..I just got another bottle of "Grandpa's old medicine"*angel*

*drink*

330DTM
08-13-2002, 12:15 AM
I'd say Gunpowder metal would look prefably better than flat black. Although I think that getting metallic colors may cost more if I can recall one of Randy's previous posts about powdercoating rims.

'88 325e
08-13-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by 328DTM
...metallic colors may cost more if I can recall one of Randy's previous posts about powdercoating rims...

Thats correct! Black or white is $40/wheel and any other custom colour is $70/wheel (includes clearcoat).

GR8 Ride
08-13-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ROB89M3
Pat,
you say your car is a track cer only,why do you care that your white wheels look black? Who cares what the car looks like. It's not a show car,it's a racecar!! :rolleyes:

I personally like the white wheels look. Looks much sportier.*th-up*
Black wheels don't look good at all cuz you can't see the design of them.Stick with the white..

ps: I'm not being racist here in any way...

Yeah, but dirty wheels are FUGLY, and while I'm concerned with being the best *looking* car out there, I certainly don't want to be the ugliest car out there....the biggest problem being that I'm generally too lazy to clean my track wheels regularly.

Personally, I like the white wheels look as well; the more I look at the photoshop picture Gamite did for me, the less I like the idea of black wheels on a white car.

Pat

Dave 325i
08-13-2002, 12:44 PM
maybe a gunmetal / anthracite / grey kind of look instead just plain black?

imho, black wheels look terrible on just about anything because you can't see the design of the wheel! it looks like your car is rolling on two black holes!

Furious
08-13-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Dave 325i
imho, black wheels look terrible on just about anything because you can't see the design of the wheel! it looks like your car is rolling on two black holes!

hahaha ,, i was just thinking the same thing,,

'88 325e
08-13-2002, 09:53 PM
R U saying that you didn't like my old wheels? Be honest.

'88 325e
08-13-2002, 09:54 PM
Here are my new 18's tho! Gravy! *mw*

Dave 325i
08-13-2002, 11:23 PM
at the risk of you taking your Niagara Falls posse over here to St Catharines and *uzi* my e30, no, i didn't like your previous wheels.

while i'm on it, i also highly dislike eyebrows, eyelids, grille spoilers and what-have-you. but that's just personal thing.

if the Uzis are empty, maybe you can just drive by and devastate me with jealousy in your new ride! *wave* *th-up*

Bill Gates
08-14-2002, 12:13 AM
for brake dust, i bought a pressure washer specifically for that. i wash off the brake dust every 2 days, this way i never have to wipe it down with a cloth. it comes right off! keeps my rims spanking clean! *th-up*

I'd keep the white look!