PDA

View Full Version : temp gauge malfunction?

rzrdxl
12-29-2004, 01:54 PM
My compliments to the members of this forum... it's been educational as well as entertaining. *th-up*

I've recently purchased a previously owned 98 540i 6 spd. I've had perma-grin eversince! :D

The temp gauge on my car goes past the red zone after 10 min of driving. It goes back to the center after 15 - 20 min. I've had it checked out at a local independent BMW service shop since my check engine light is also on. The shop replaced the temp sensor/gauge and cleared the check engine light. It worked well for the next couple of days.

The check engine light is on again and the temp gauge is still going past the red zone. I'm going back to shop to see if it's the same engine codes. But before I do, I'd like to know if anyone has any similar experience.

Thanks for your help!

pbjaxson
01-01-2005, 03:57 PM
welcome to max, could it be a fan clutch? (i dont really have a clue but just a suggestion)

rzrdxl
01-03-2005, 04:17 PM
welcome to max, could it be a fan clutch? (i dont really have a clue but just a suggestion)

thanks for the input...

i've searched another forum and a couple of things they've mentioned were the thermostat and cooling system bleed. i'll do the cooling system bleed first.