PDA

View Full Version : Teutonic lapping event was GREAT!

WASABI
08-06-2002, 01:25 PM
Just thought I'd share the experience, GladdoM3 and I attended the Teutonic lapping event on August 5th at Shannonville Race Track ... and we had a BLAST!*th-up* ...:D :D :D

It was very organized and very SAFE! Their (Teutonic) main concern was safety and it helped track newbies like myself relax and be more comfortable with the track. You should have seen the other groups ... 40 cars on the track with no rules!

It was a great event, I highly recommend it *th-up* 100 times better than any motorsports event that I've been to. Even just to watch. I wish there were more tracks and events.

Thanks TEUTONIC!*wave*

Jordan ... thanks for the ride ... sorry about the stains on your seats ... hehehe ... j/k ... LOL ... awesome ride man!*th-up*

GladdoM3
08-06-2002, 04:58 PM
hehehehehhee. No Problem . Now for those of you who had some concerns and questions regarding the track days, i hope these 2 posts will relieve some of those fears. The lapping day was THE BEST MOTORSPORTS EVENT I HAVE EVER EVER attended. Way more fun than a school ! :D The entire day was a blast. I had sooooo much damn fun driving through the chicane !!!!! WOW !:D Just imagine for a second. You come down of the Fabi straight @ 180km/h (i was goin that quick) and have to break down to around 120-115 km.h . Then take a quick right hander followed into another right hander with a quick left right after that . Through the chicane you keep on accelerating and giving the car traction.........HEAPS of traction and road holding(they dont call BMW's the ultimate driving machine for nothing) then havin to break from 140 km to 60 in a short distance. WHAT A RUSH !!! Words cant describe the feeling .
You REALLY have to track your car (not beat the shit out of it, but push the limits of traction) to truely experience what BMW's are made for. I know alot of you love to take corners quickly (as per our cruize to windy roads) but now tracking days are MUCH MUCH safer. When you are on a track you eliminate the variables that you have to deal with on the roads. Take away pedestrians, cops, cars, STOOPID people, street imperfections, and the list of variables goes on and on. Tracking your car is much much much safer than driving quickly on city roads. I dont know why more of you didnt want to experience what you and your car can do together on a controlled course ??

After this event today, i have decided to try and setup a track day before the end of sept. This time it will be limited to maxbimmer, teutonic and E46 toronto, and a few more. There are many rules in place for tacking also..... NO crazy drivers, NO PASSING through corner.....110% enforcement....you pass in a corner, you are sent home. i want this track day to be a fun and exhilerating experience. If this goes through, i will set it up in a way that I i wont be making money.............i will simply divide the TOTAL cost (lunch + beers for after) and divide with the amount of people we have there. This way if we keep it small.....around 40-50 cars not 80 or more, we will get MORE track time, less hassels, and an all around BEtter time.
If you guys are interested, or have ANY questions. let me know.

Whether you have a new or old bmw..........fully modded. or bone stock this will be an amazing experience for everyone. Whether you are a n00bie or a track pro, i encourage everyone to come.
yesterday, i learned more about my car, than i have from 7000km of driving. In 1 day....thats it. You guys dont know what you are missing !
later All
Jordan*wiggle*

WASABI
08-06-2002, 07:12 PM
AMEN BROTHA !*th-up*

I didn't think my car could do what it did on the track.

My favorite part of the track is the chicane ... gotta love it!:D and the last two turns before the back straight. And when they changed over to the PRO Track ... OMG:eek: *mw*

Jordan, let me know if you need help organizing this thing.*th-up*

... take our words for it ... you guys gotta try it ... SOOOO MUCH SAFER !*th-up*

M3ntal Kev
08-06-2002, 09:09 PM
I'm glad to hear you guys had a great time and felt safe!

Both of you did really well on the track and its good to see you guys have a new appreciation for real spirited driving and the capabilities of your cars.

Thanks for coming out and helping to make the event a success!

SickFinga
08-06-2002, 09:57 PM
http://www.maxbimmer.com/images/new%20smilies/mouth_water.gif http://www.maxbimmer.com/images/new%20smilies/mouth_water.gif http://www.maxbimmer.com/images/new%20smilies/mouth_water.gif

mpower1226
08-07-2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by saj328
Just thought I'd share the experience, GladdoM3 and I attended the Teutonic lapping event on August 5th at Shannonville Race Track ... and we had a BLAST!*th-up* ...:D :D :D

It was very organized and very SAFE! Their (Teutonic) main concern was safety and it helped track newbies like myself relax and be more comfortable with the track. You should have seen the other groups ... 40 cars on the track with no rules!

It was a great event, I highly recommend it *th-up* 100 times better than any motorsports event that I've been to. Even just to watch. I wish there were more tracks and events.

Thanks TEUTONIC!*wave*

Jordan ... thanks for the ride ... sorry about the stains on your seats ... hehehe ... j/k ... LOL ... awesome ride man!*th-up*

actually, Image motorsports (group a, b) have rules,
the reason that made you think there are no rules, is prob. because of allowing passing at cornors. actually, they allow to pass at cornors because, most of them are experienced at track
driving plus more exciting. I know its not very safe but exciting
for sure.

Razkal
08-07-2002, 08:03 AM
Hey Guys!

Let me know when this is going to happen, and Jordan/Saj if you need help, lemme know!

SANJ

GladdoM3
08-07-2002, 08:06 AM
Thank you guys for your support. I have a crazy day @ work today, and then i will be makin the first steps to organize this. I will keep everyone posted.

I cant wait until the video is done. hehehehe YOu guys will be able to see me ripping throught the chicane:D

GladdoM3
08-07-2002, 08:08 AM
so Vlad. Have we earased your fears about the track ?? Have any questions ????

got torque?
08-07-2002, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry, but if Image Racing guys are experienced, they sure don't show it. I am amazed that there were no multi-car incidents or injuries.

Here's what I saw while the Image guys were on-track:

1. Drivers with windows all the way down, arms out windows.
What happens when a car rolls over and the occupants' limbs flail out the window? SNAP.

2. Drivers without helmets/Passengers without helmets.
What happens when you hit something or roll the car, and your exposed melon hits your roll bar? You can bet that your roll bar is stronger than your skull.

3. Harnesses without roll bars/cages.
In an accident, the roofline/A-pillars of a car WILL collapse. If your harness is holding you upright in your seat, what happens to your neck and head?

4. Video cameras not securely attached to vehicles.
In an accident, the 5LB video camera becomes a projectile inside the cabin. Imagine taking it in the head when you decelerate from 140 to 0 in a car length as you stuff the car into a wall or guardrail...

5. Heavily smoking cars running full 30 min sessions.
A car that makes a James Bond smokescreen for 30 minutes should not be allowed on the track. Who knows whether he's dropping fluid all over the track if nobody inspects the car?

6. Cars spinning out and then backing into traffic to re-join the track surface.
This was one of my favorites. A car overcooks the chicane and plows off the track before the front straight hairpin. He throws it into reverse and backs into approaching traffic that is closing at over 100km/h. Ever hear of waiting until the way is clear?

7. Truck/trailer combo sent out onto HOT track to retrieve broken down cars.
Rather than waiting until the track was clear, a truck and trailer pulls onto a "cool-down" lap and drives the entire circuit to collect a broken down car. I guess he was looking to make an insurance claim on his trailer, or just see how the old Cherokee takes the double-apex curves with an unloaded trailer behind it.

8. Cars being waved onto the track in front of fast moving traffic.
Pit-out personnel were waving cars onto the track without even looking at who might be flying down the straightaway. I guess that adds the the "excitement" factor they were after.

The things I outline here are what I saw with my own eyes. I'm merely sharing my observations with others.

Recklessness and a lack of rules and enforcement are what makes novices shy away from track events.

If you run an event, you have a responsibility to do more than just collect money. You need to maintain a safe atmosphere that protects people and their equipment while allowing them to learn and have fun. Failing to do so reflects poorly on all of us who enjoy track driving.

GT?

GladdoM3
08-07-2002, 10:11 AM
i saw 99% of those things also.

If all goes well, my track day will have NONE of those evnets happen. I want a safe and fun enviroment. TRUST me now - NO crazy drivers allowed. i

M3ntal Kev
08-07-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by GladdoM3
i saw 99% of those things also.

If all goes well, my track day will have NONE of those evnets happen. I want a safe and fun enviroment. TRUST me now - NO crazy drivers allowed. i

Shoot... that rules me out I guess. ;)

GladdoM3
08-07-2002, 11:22 AM
hehehehehe,........Mr.HotCorner.....hehehehhee.... ....we had a great duel for many laps. And then i let you past and you overshoot a corner....hehehehehe.....*wave* *shiner*

M3ntal Kev
08-07-2002, 12:31 PM
hehehehehe,........Mr.HotCorner.....hehehehhee.... ....we had a great duel for many laps. And then i let you past and you overshoot a corner....hehehehehe.....*wave* *shiner*

We will have to do it again when I get some better shoes for my baby. ;) But all said, it was great fun.

Lemme know if you need any info etc. regarding setting up your event.

SickFinga
08-07-2002, 04:28 PM
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN
I WANNA GO!!!

Still scared though.

WASABI
08-07-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN
I WANNA GO!!!

Still scared though.

Scared of what? Have you seen the shannonville track layout? There's only one wall, that is at the front straight away. The rest is open field grass. I'm still stoked, I'm even thinking of going this friday or saturday ... again.

I was kinda nervous at first, but I just kept telling myself "take your time, go slow and go at your own pace", and what Jordan said, "SLOW IN >>> FAST OUT". You'll discover a lot of things as the day progess, what lines to take, braking points, and so on. By the 2nd and 3rd session you'll be flying through the chicane without even knowing it.:D I never done auto-x, but from what I've seen in the video, it seems easier to manage the turns at track because there's more room, and with passing rules, you don't have to worry about another car beside you, just keep your line. I still have lots to learn, but you gotta start somewhere.

www.shannonville.com

SickFinga
08-07-2002, 09:39 PM
hitting the wall is just one of the problem, flipping your car over is another.

And trust me I know how it fells. I was in a car when it flipped over, not the greatest things to happen. Thanks god it was SUV.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I will try it someday, but one question, if I'm gonna be a turtle there, am I going to be kicked out?
Also when you went, was there someone in car with you? or you were all by yourselfs?

WASABI
08-08-2002, 08:32 AM
Those incidents can be controlled by knowing the limits of your car. Why would you want to push your car to its limits on your first time at the track? Like I said, I took my time, and slowly inched faster and faster, it's not about going fast and it's not a race. I was being lapped by the experienced drivers at least twice per session and passed by another car at least every lap, I didn't care, I was there to have fun and learn a few things. As long as you obey the passing rules and be courteous to other drivers, turtle or no turtle you'll stay on the track as long as you obey the rules. I may have a "fast car", but I know that on the track, I had the least experience, so I just let them pass, like they (teutonic) said, "leave your egos at home", it's not about who's faster on the track. These events are geared towards having fun, learning how to "really" drive, and knowing the limits of your car in a safest way possible.

I rode with Jordan in his car during the first session to show me around the track. Pointing out the passing areas, what lines to take, but of course his car is already race prep:D :eek: , so mine were a bit different, but helpfull. Wheeeew ... that car is AMAZING!*smoke* Then I drove my car next session by myself, I could have had somebody with me, like one of the experienced guys, but they were all taken:( , s'okay though, I just took my time...:) :D

GladdoM3
08-08-2002, 09:02 AM
I know i am not the most experienced driver.......but next time we have a lapping session, i will join you in your car and maybe i can help you out with some pointers. ....Just a thought. Jasper. The video of us on that day will be out soon. I was talking to the guy who was doing the taping, and he said he got some good footage of us going through the chicane:D Man , i was flying through that section :D Jasper, you should of been in the car with me on my last session. I was pushing hard, so hard that my brakes started squeeeeeeking.........damn loud. I was putting in some nice smooth laps.
Next time !

WASABI
08-08-2002, 09:46 AM
I know i am not the most experienced driver.......but next time we have a lapping session, i will join you in your car and maybe i can help you out with some pointers. ....Just a thought. Jasper. The video of us on that day will be out soon. I was talking to the guy who was doing the taping, and he said he got some good footage of us going through the chicane:D Man , i was flying through that section :D Jasper, you should of been in the car with me on my last session. I was pushing hard, so hard that my brakes started squeeeeeeking.........damn loud. I was putting in some nice smooth laps.
Next time !

Next Time FoR SuRE!*th-up*

Is that the vid from Kevin? Are you getting a copy of the raw footage? I want one too...:D Yeah ... I wouldn't mind seeing the vid of us.

*wave*

GladdoM3
08-08-2002, 11:59 AM
kewl. i will burn u one !~ Hopefully he will give me unedited version on CD :D

PCDawg
08-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Sounds very interesting!!!

I was actually suppse to go that day with some of my friends.....i didnt know that Teutonic had booked that day!!!

I would really be interested in a track day, however do i need a helmet???

My friend said the reason they had the windows open was that when they see that a car behind them was coming up fast, they can stick their hands out and wave them to pass .... makes sense since there's various cars out there and some are faster and can handle better than others....

Sounds good though, and some e46toronto members might be interested!!!!!!! The more that goes, the cheaper the rates as it all gets divided up *th-up*

GladdoM3
08-08-2002, 01:36 PM
Yes you do NEED a helmet ! This will pretty much be a small event . I am going to book it during a weekday. SO SEE IF YOU CAN GET THE TIME OFF WORK ! IF EVERYONE CANNOT GET OFF WORK LET ME KNOW. The prices are much cheaper during a weekday opposed to a weekend. I only want between 30-45 cars MAX. SO let me know A.S.A.P !
Thanks
Jordan

mpower1226
08-11-2002, 03:36 AM
To tell the truth, 2 groups point of views are totally different,
Image "racing" motorsports and teutonic.ca.
First of all image racing allows passing through corner because
they are there not to lap but to race, challenge eachother.
Thats way there are not alot of newbies in image racing.
Some are pro, they bring race prep cars, some are experienced
drivers. But not alot of newbies. whereas teutonic.ca, With
strict rules enforced, to tell truth, its 110% safer then image motor
racing for most of drivers. Image racing track days are just not
for the inexperienced drivers. thats all. oh, all those points
that said about image racing, most of them are true. But also
there are reasons to it. rolled down windows? because if you cant
keep up, you have to let others to pass you. You cant block all the
roads to yourself, rite? pit personell, I dont know about that,
we had different personall, image and teutonic. So I dont know
about that. wave the car to go into the high speed traffic?
They dont just let you go in without checking.

Theres not even one crash in past few years. expect some newbie
fliped the car, trying to make corner at speed he cant handle.

other then that, its all safe. remember, there are not alot of newbies, they know what they are doing. they are there to race each other.

But looking at teutonic lapping, They were really safe with rules enforced, really good. It teaches thing or two. I liked how they lap.

Two groups have totally diffrent concepts of going to track. So
You cant really say, they are unprofesional, because its
two are totally diffrent.

I am not starting up a flame, Im just stating their point of view.

If you think its dagerous you dont come when they are at track,
its pretty simple.

mpower1226
08-11-2002, 03:42 AM
gladom3, just let you know, If you want to track, I heard
you have to go down to track and make deposite. If What I
heard is true, the one who actually drive down track and
do all the stuff, actually have to get some money.
if you are organizing the event, and you do all the hassle to
go track, book a day, make deposit, you actually have to
get some money(for gass/time spent). That fair. Its not
fair to pay same amout as others when you are doing
alot of extra work and spend gases.