PDA

View Full Version : tranny replacement

djtbster
11-30-2004, 04:38 PM
hey guys, im most likely gonna need to replace my tranny in spring, and so with the clutch, how hard is it to do this, remove and replace the tranny ure self, if i cant get my car high enuf lol. and wats the cost approx for a good used tranny.

jeffrie
11-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Thought you were super broke, last post I remember you couldn't afford to use high test gas let alone a tranny.
As for the tranny not that easy of a job but not too too bad. Will be a PITA on the ground but suggest you get 4 high jack stands, a jack, big ass pry bar and alot of penetrating oil. Get a new gebo, centre bearing, and you may want to rebuild your starter since it will be off while you do it, I had too. Shifter linkage was rusted so bad it was as one hope you havn't got the same headake I had with that simple c clip that holds it together. Once you get under and see what it's all about then start asking ?'s as to what you can't do but pretty obvious once looking at it.
Never changed the clutch in a bimmer before so ask someone ealse in that department.

djtbster
11-30-2004, 10:59 PM
thanx jeffrie, well yes im low in the cash, its not i cant afford it, i just cant see my self using high ocatne gas on a car thats gonna need alot of work, and i got a stock computer now so i can use 87 safely, and wen it comes to these stuff, i got a loving father who is willing to help me out. but not to say hes gonna spend 1000 on my car wen he has his own car to take care of thanx for the help, i asked bimmersport and he might do all the work, just gonna cost more, and i need the car as soon as possible, wen its getting worked on, i cant have it laying around for weeks to get worked on since i got school then hour after school, i got work.

jeffrie
11-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Good to hear about youdad's generous offerings but don't get intimidated it's not that hard of a job, suggest you try it before you bring it to a wrench.

jeffrie
11-30-2004, 11:39 PM
You did say in the spring so assumed you had alot of time to plan this, what are the syptoms that your getting to make you think you need a new tranny?

jeffrie
11-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Ohh and I do have a used clutch and tranny in Ottawa if you need it

djtbster
12-01-2004, 01:53 AM
lol all i gotta say is 2nd gear sychro is gone, 2nd grind from time to time, and reverse to at cold starts, but the shifter bushings are bit worn, but not to loose, i can grab ane gear very easily except 2nd, 2nd tends to wanna pop out of gear wen selected. and i need a replacement cuz 2nd has grinded morethan 20 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeffrie
12-01-2004, 01:59 AM
Could be just the linkage check the play in it from underneath
Blown tranny's make a whinning noise, well the ones I blew up did.
Starts with the syncros but 10 yrs later you loose a gear.
Change fluid and don't worry about it if it just started.

djtbster
12-09-2004, 12:15 PM
like a super charger whine cuz somtimes i can hear a small whibne from wen i shift down to 1st and 2nd

Skunk#1
12-09-2004, 08:12 PM
i had one that would whinme in every gear, even at idle in nuetral, just let it go untill you get the cash, used tranny would be about 350usd, and book times in the manual says it take about 3.9 hours.

not expensive at all.....being a mechanic, i would do this in 1/3-1/2 the time, otherwise you dont make any money.

Axxe
12-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Or you can have your tranny rebuilt. I bought a used tranny and it whines like crazy, and second is tough when cold. Live with it, then rebuild the tranny.

djtbster
12-10-2004, 11:09 AM
aye aye mon capitan, ill proby do that, how much is a rebiuld 1500???

Axxe
12-10-2004, 08:34 PM
not sure, but the at a shop in kitchener that only do imported transmissions, $350 for labour (I deliver the transmission removed), plus any parts that need replacement. I'm guessing about $600 total. I'll probably just live with my transmission the way it is until it dies completely and then I'll see if I'm even going to keep the car after that. I'm guessing that I can do 100,000 on my transmission the way it is (came out of a highway driven 400,000 325is)

NickP
12-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Or just buy a used transmission from a trusted member like me :-) I have a 5 speed that I'll let go for $100 from a 1987 325is

djtbster
12-11-2004, 01:43 AM
how many clicks on it, and how was the condition b4 u took it out of ure car