PDA

View Full Version : Can my e30 handle 2 amps???? HELP!

Tracer
07-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Well I have two amps I have scheduled to be put in on friday.

Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X459
Front Speakers- Kenwood Excelon 5.25 Coaxals
Front Door- Kenwood Excelon 1" Tweeters
Rear Deck- Kenwood Excelon 4way 6x9's
Trunk- Two MTX 12" 4000 Subs in Custom Ported Enclosure mad out of MDF.

First amp:

Xtant A4004 = 100x4 It is going to power all of my interior speakers.

Second Amp:

Xtant 121m With Bass Boost Module = 1 x 250 watts per channel @ 2 ohms

Question:

Will my car be able to handle having both amps? I am sure my lights will dim, but I dont know for sure. If they do guess I'll get a cap, but the main question is will my car be able to run both amps????

I am having everything put in on friday, including a viper alarm ($259 us dollars installed) and I hope it works!!!

Tracer

SickFinga
07-31-2002, 01:13 AM
yes your lights will dims even though it is not same window killer setup.
to get rid of that use bigger wires and capacitors
1 farad capacitor will do the job

cohiba
07-31-2002, 01:30 AM
Dont worry too much, you cars electrical system should be able handle that system. I'm running 2 amps in my e30, the electricals holding out very good.*th-up*

Only one time did the electrical system went crazy, it was because everthing was running at once, fogs, def, wipers, r. def, heater, h. seats and stereo. It made the check engine light go on for a sec.

Just install it and enjoy what you got.:D

BTW did you vent subs from the trunk into the car? I did and the trunk rattles alot. I now just sound deadened it and hope its alot quieter.

Tracer
07-31-2002, 01:41 AM
Should I vent it some how? I need to figure out a good way. I may have the sound deadening material installed. I dunno tell me if it worked.

Tracer

Dluxazn58
07-31-2002, 02:49 AM
you'll be fine...
along with what others said above
you might want to get a new battery as well if you like showing off your stuff...

get an optima yellow top deep cycle battery... the best your money can buy...

good luck with the install

Adriano
07-31-2002, 07:45 AM
Your E30 will have no problem running these two amps. As stated above, use a 1 farad cap and a minimum of 4 guage wire. MAKE SURE THEY ARE GROUNDED WELL. Xtant are exelent amps if you install them properly. Use 4 guage ground no longer then 1 foot if possible. DO NOT GET OPTIMA YELLOW TOP BATTERIES. They are the worst waste of money that you can get. Save your money and get a Stinger or Lightning audio battery. I know because I used to sell *uzi*Optima*thmbsdwn* . I have had 2 out of 5 batteries come back because of problems. Go to my sounddomain page:
http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=137652&make_type_query=make%3DBMW&model_brand_query=model%3D3-Series&tree=BMW%203-Series
and go to page #2 to see.
Tracer - you will gain an extra 3Db if you port your box. I made my ports go from my box thru my rear deck and actually gained 7Db. That is like over doubling your amp power.
Good luck

SickFinga
07-31-2002, 09:59 AM
really my bro have Yellow top optima for more than a year and he had not a single problem with it.

Adriano
07-31-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by SickFinga
really my bro have Yellow top optima for more than a year and he had not a single problem with it.

Consider himself 2 out of 5 (very lucky). Like I said, I used to sell them so I know how bad they are. I killed 3 yellow tops in my BMW in less than 2 years and since have a Lightning audio dry cell for 2 years with no problem. Yellow tops are not tru 'deep cycle' batteries because after 3 cycles, they are good for shit. My LA battery has been cycled over 20 times with no loss in reserve time or power.

Tracer
07-31-2002, 11:42 AM
My box is ported. I just need to figure out how to port my rear deck!! The bad thing is there is a lot of metal under the rear deck. My dad and I took that thing off along with the seats to do a custom install on some 6x9's, because you all know that it only comes with a 5.25" spot. I will talk to the guys at the stereo place I go to, they are pros. They just set a new world record last week for the 300watt class I believe with two Kicker L7 woofers, and only 300watts up to them!! I believe that the guy hit around 147db and that was at the pro circuit here in kansas city last week. I will double check with you on the exact totals. Then they have another guy who is only in the 400 watt class and he is going to probably hit 160db at the world finals and set a new world record also. He has two of the kicker L7 woofers in his TINY ass CRX!!! Well that is all, and thanks for the suggestions guys!!

Tracer

Tracer
07-31-2002, 10:56 PM
bump

BMW BMXer
07-31-2002, 11:03 PM
6x9's will fit in the rear deck with some cutting, but why bother, front stage is where its at

Port throught your ski hole (if you have one) its really easy to do, you can do it with your foot..

Tracer
07-31-2002, 11:22 PM
SKI HOLE??????????????

I dont see any type of hole anywhere in the back of my car. And I already did the custum cutting for the 6x9's. They fit perfect with the risers i bought for them. They are much louder than 5.25's and I want it to be loud. I have nice speakers for the front also. I didnt go stingy anywhere on my system. The only place that could probably use a little work would be my subs/sub amp. But if I do something to that, it will be after I get my body kit and paint job and wheels. I plan on having that all done by graduation in May. Dad says he will buy my wheels and tires. I will have the money for the paint job and the body kit install by then, and will just have it all put on at once. I will be gettin phat cash from my grandparents, and with that I am having a black leather interior put into my car. THEN THE ENGINE!!!!!!

Tracer

BMW BMXer
08-01-2002, 01:32 AM
in your rear seat is there a folding down arm rest?
if so is there a metal plate blocking it from going into the trunk?

If so take your dominant had or foot and hit it till it comes out. Instant port into your trunk, its pre cut so it comes out easy.

What I ment about the 6x9's is that you want the magority of your sound ciming from the front, if your 6x9's over power your font stage that is wack, when you go to a concert do you sit backwards?

Rear speakers are mainly for passengers, shit I don't even have any

cohiba
08-01-2002, 02:32 AM
No fold down arm rest in a E30. If you remove the back seat, there is a "knockout" for what appears to be a ski hole.:huh?:

Vent the sound by cutting a hole through the rear deck. You should dampen the metal on rear deck, behind the rear seat, trunk lid, the metal behind the licence plate and the plate itself to help eliminate any vibrations.

Running a cap will help your system out. Get a Interstate battery, they're not that expensive and they do make good batteries.

4 guage wire will work fine, the battery in a E30 is in the trunk, unless you have a cabriolet, therefore the length of power wire will be short.

p.s. Sound deadened the trunk lid, the licence plate and the metal behind it last night, alot less rattling, its not 100% eliminated but its a VERY big improvement.
Going to deaden the rest of the car in the next few days.*th-up*

Tracer
08-01-2002, 12:12 PM
BMW BMXer:

Please learn to type. Do the everyone a favor, and take a keyboarding class at school. Learn where home row is, and please learn to speak English better.

*angel*

BMW BMXer
08-01-2002, 12:51 PM
AARRRRRRRRRRG :mad:

OK LET ME EXPLAIN THIS VERY SIMPLE LIKE

6x9's over powering your front speakers is bad for imaging (sound stage). I hate 6x9's personally.

If your rear seats have a fold down arm rest in the middle then you can port it right there. Maybe some e30's do not have the fold down arm rest but mine does, and I know others do as well. When you fold down the arm rest it normally does not go through into the trunk. But it is very easy to fix that.

I have probably been typing for longer than you buddy, I don't see how my post is hard to understand.

Go to this page please http://www.inspar8r.bmwe30.net/index.html

"My modifications include: Polk Audio 5-1/4" component speakers with 1" tweeters in the upper corners of the windshield, Kenwood KDC-x917 eXelon head unit with motorized flip face, MTX 250W rms 4-Channel amp, an MTX digital Class D 500W rms 2-Channel amp. 2 12" Kicker CompVR subs in a sealed box, and i removed the rear deck speaker to improve soundstage and they act as ports to allow the subs to radiate into the interior through the rear deck. I also punched out the ski hole perforation with a rumber mallet."

Read the last line I ALSO PUNCHED OUT THE SKI HOLE PERFORATION WITH A RUBBER MALLET

I know what I am talking about if your car does not have it, sucks to be you

Tracer
08-01-2002, 01:00 PM
ROFL!!

Thats a nice site. My 6x9's will not over power my 5.25's. If they do, I will fade it to the front a little or whatever. I'm pretty sure that my 1" tweeters that I am having put in are going to be where a lot of the sound is comming from. Those things get so loud!! Thanks a lot for the help! I think I figured out why you have a ski hole and I dont. I think its because you have a 4 door, and mine is a two door. The 4 door has the armrest and stuff.

Thanks again,

Tracer

cohiba
08-01-2002, 11:54 PM
Tracer

Ever consider adding a pair of 6 1/2 midbass drivers for the rear deck? It'll give your system more "kick", it'll make the system hit harder.:idea:

Dont put 6X9's for the rears, they wont fit, and you have to make new rear deck to make them fit. Too much of a hassle.

Let us know your system turns out.:D

BTW my E30 coupe doesn't have a fold down arm rest either.

Tracer
08-02-2002, 09:42 AM
*no-no* *no-no* *no-no* *no-no* *no-no* *no-no* *no-no*

Thats for you BMW BMxer trying to tell me that I have an armrest when I DONT!!! J/K

Well I installed the 6x9's last night. I'll take pics of all of this stuff when I get it installed. They were not really that hard to install, we just bought a special piece for them. I'll show you guys in the pics after I get them!

Thanks for all of the advice.

Tracer