PDA

View Full Version : Oh yes, winters... and the cold... come one come all...

super_namer
11-15-2004, 09:22 PM
i know kmohamed just posted a somewhat similar post about this but i thought this would benefit many people.

ok people, lets hear about your early morning prep when you start your cars in the morning...

me, i run the car and let it run for about 5-7 minutes until the temp gets to about mid-end of the blue and i drive pretty conservatively until it warms up a bit more... but i've been finding the colder the mornings get, the rougher the idle... and this isn't even very cold yet... so im getting worried....

what about you guys? do you warm up? if so for how long? what other prep have you done?

325isRED
11-15-2004, 09:27 PM
I dont let it idle too long, 2 minutes max, and untill its well warmed up, i dont push it, or let it go over 3000 rpm...

koncise
11-15-2004, 09:37 PM
i'm pretty sure my manual says not to warm it up for over a minute... and to drive off slowly after about a minute.

but f that.. i'm cold in the morning, i'm probly gettin a remote starter so i can walk right into a warm car...

super_namer
11-15-2004, 09:39 PM
i'm pretty sure my manual says not to warm it up for over a minute... and to drive off slowly after about a minute.

but f that.. i'm cold in the morning, i'm probly gettin a remote starter so i can walk right into a warm car...

its getting so cold that my remote starter wont even start anymore... GURR!!!!

now i gotta go outside and actually start the car and run back inside like a little girl. haha

Gianpaolo_E46
11-15-2004, 09:43 PM
i'll always let the car warm up until its either in the middle of the temp gauge or just at the first mark, and i'll leave the seat warmers on also so that when i get in the car its nice n warm

Understated
11-15-2004, 09:45 PM
yeah car on...turn on heated seats run inside like pansy...run out a few minutes later to drive car on low idle with a warm tush :)

super_namer
11-15-2004, 09:45 PM
i'll always let the car warm up until its either in the middle of the temp gauge or just at the first mark, and i'll leave the seat warmers on also so that when i get in the car its nice n warm

wow, middle of the temp gauge would take a good 30 min warmup in the winter for me... the 1st mark already takes a good 15 min

Gianpaolo_E46
11-15-2004, 09:55 PM
no, its gotta be faster than that? unno havent had to do it in a while thank god, but now a days i'll let it run for 2 min while i go back in and grab my stuff

Understated
11-15-2004, 10:01 PM
^^^ahhh the luxury of driving to school :(

Gianpaolo_E46
11-15-2004, 10:07 PM
yeah car on...turn on heated seats run inside like pansy...run out a few minutes later to drive car on low idle with a warm tush :)

:D lol the running like a pansy is key

Mystikal
11-15-2004, 10:38 PM
It's pretty harsh on a car to have it warm up standing still, for a simple reason: the driveline is still cold. Having a warm engine and cold gearbox/clutch/diff isn't exactly a good combination. This is why remote starters are BAD.

I always start the car, take 20 secs or so to change the CD, then drive extremely slow (never going over 2000rpm) until I absolutely have to (401).

Mr seville
11-15-2004, 10:41 PM
i giver to the redline(4500) straight out the driveway...it's like driving a trasport truck *th-up*

Gianpaolo_E46
11-15-2004, 11:39 PM
even if the tranny is step.? i mean its got enough problems with it might as well add another, right?

oldskool3
11-15-2004, 11:53 PM
I run out to my car turn it on run back in like a little girl and wait about ten minutes. by this time it is just leaving the blue and i try not to take it past 3000rpm until fully in the middle of the temp gauge.

dutty_mark3
11-16-2004, 12:01 AM
It's pretty harsh on a car to have it warm up standing still, for a simple reason: the driveline is still cold. Having a warm engine and cold gearbox/clutch/diff isn't exactly a good combination. This is why remote starters are BAD.

I always start the car, take 20 secs or so to change the CD, then drive extremely slow (never going over 2000rpm) until I absolutely have to (401).

werd.

Mitch555
11-16-2004, 01:16 AM
I let my car warm up for 1 min (literally) so all the fluids are flowing well and I know that everything is properly lubricated at that point so I don't do any damage to the engine. Then for the next 10 min I drive under 2500rpm.

Slowered318
11-16-2004, 02:31 AM

unless by some chance you have to race a Grand AM loaner car

LOL
:moon:

SebSter
11-16-2004, 02:34 AM
Thx jay, I knew there was a good reason to not waiting aroudn for it to warm up. Someone told me once and I completely forgot .. and I have all these friends who claim to know about cars and say how its soo important to wait for it to warm up and people who dont do it are idiots. I can finally explain to them why they are wrong.

Slowered318
11-16-2004, 02:39 AM
Seb.. but their is the other extreme (my old toyota) I usto jam the gas down with the snow brush and wait for all the snow to melt off before i would get in. and it still lasted 2 winters???

E36er
11-16-2004, 03:32 AM
i fire her up and drive normal...the beautys of living in BC.

Mystikal
11-16-2004, 11:49 AM
unless by some chance you have to race a Grand AM loaner car

LOL
:moon:

Yeah you dick, my poor cold engine, LOL. And I almost lost too. Them there Pon-ee-acks be mighty fast I'll tell you whut.

krp_e36m50
11-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Jay is completely right.
U should only let your car warm up for as long as it takes to reach down & move the shifter. Just drive like a granny for the first minute or two - that's all the time it takes to be at operating temperature.

325iSBimmer
11-16-2004, 10:05 PM
I use my block heater religiously when it get is in the single digit temps and below 0.
when it stays pluged in all nite in the morning when i start it the temp gauge is just on the outside edge of the blue (just like summer time temp) and then i let her rum for a minute and never exceed 2500 rpm till the temp gauge is in the middle and I feel the car is warmed up

Justin e36
11-17-2004, 12:22 AM
I kinda made up my own routine... it's pretty quick and works great.

1) Headlights to 1 O'Clock (headlights off = less voltage used and longer lasting bulbs!)

2) Key to POS 2 (get fuel pump going and the engine primed)

3) Wait 5 seconds (usually as long as it takes for the DING DING DING to stop (under 3 degree warning chime))

4) Start car

5) Turn on rear defroster and heated seat. (heater stays off)

6) If frost and light ice on windows then I spray windsheild briefly, but don't allow wipers to go yet. Let the deicer work its magic.

7) Spray side windows and rear window with spray bottle (my own home-made deicer concoction. does not freeze up to -45 degrees and melts ice in seconds!)

8) Squeegee windows clean. (no need for ice scraper... just get the water (melted ice) off the windows.)

9) Get in car.

10) Turn on heater (windows)

11) Drive no faster than 3000rpm (as it says in the owners manual) until the engine, drivetrain, etc. are all warmed up. I rarely go past 3000rpm in the winter at ALL. (I baby my car.)

** note: when I park my car I keep my sunroof in TILT mode. Air circulation helps cool the interior much quicker to the same temp as the exterior resulting in less ice and frost buildup on windows for when I have to get back in the car again. Remember science class and condensation? Well your windows get fogged with condensation quickly after shutting your engine off, that layer of water then freezes.

** note 2: I also treat my interior windows with anti-fog liquid and my home-made ice melting concoction includes teflon to treat the exterior windows (keep water, ice off the window.. and light snow rolls right off.)

Justin e36
11-18-2004, 03:05 PM
no one else?

koncise
11-18-2004, 03:10 PM
no one else?

so you walk out of your house at 7... and pull out of your driveway around what? 9? 9:30? :D

my routine:

turn on car...... shiver for 1 minute.... pull out

shiver for 1 minute is replaced with scrape windows when needed

Justin e36
11-18-2004, 03:19 PM
I go out around 4am and head to the gym. When I leave for work @ 7am I don't have anything else to do.. car is still clean.

Steps 1 - 5: under 10 seconds

Steps 6 - 8: 1 minute MAX. (takes a lot less time to spray all my windows and squeegee the melted ice off than it would take for anyone to scrape away helplessly at their windows... in which point it'd still have patches of ice on it.).. 2 minutes being the maximum time if I also have to clean fallen snow off the car, and there's ice waiting for me underneath.

Steps 9 - 11: no time.. I'm already on my way to the gym.. and my windows are as clean as if it were summer. :)

UncleJ
11-18-2004, 04:10 PM
I just start my car and drive. The beauty of a closed garage.

Conan
11-24-2004, 04:25 PM
its getting so cold that my remote starter wont even start anymore... GURR!!!!

Check for corrosion at ground and contact points.

Conan
11-24-2004, 04:35 PM
** note 2: I also treat my interior windows with anti-fog liquid and my home-made ice melting concoction includes teflon to treat the exterior windows (keep water, ice off the window.. and light snow rolls right off.)

So what is this homemade concoction. Please do share and tell.

Justin e36
11-24-2004, 05:09 PM
So what is this homemade concoction. Please do share and tell.

sure.. but I doubt most on this forum would know what I'm talking about.
It's a home brewed mixture of Calcium Magnesium Acetate, dolomitic lime, and acetic acid this is powdered then boiled in water for around 10-15 mins to disolve the particles, they will remain suspended in the water. I add this to a bottle of winter windshield washer fluid (though even if it just stays in water, it still won't freeze into ice until around -40 degrees celcius). Works awesome and 1000x better than "liquid heat" deicers and such from Canadian Tire.

This is completely environmentally friendly and will not harm your cars paint as a brine salt + water concoction would, or glycol, or urea based liquid deicers would.

Only takes a few mins to make... and makes winter a hell of a lot easier to live with. A quick spray on my wipers if they're frozen to the glass. On my windows... even my driveway if it's iced over.

AMG_POWER
11-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Start the car, put my seat heater 1 minute warm up then drive out slowly, put my heating on in 2 minutes.

V-Thang
11-24-2004, 08:33 PM
I get in my car, turn it on with the heater off!! I just turn the rear defroster on... Let the car run for a 1minute or till the ilde needle get to about 1500rpm. Weird but with this engine, when its cold out and I start the car, the rpm jumps to around 1800rpm and starts going down the longer I let the car run... I think its the automatic warm up sensor for the engine... so like after a minute or letting it run, the needle drops to 1500rpm and I pull out and drive no more than 3000rpm till the temp gauge is at middle.

Anyone else's car jumps to like 1800rpm when the first turn it on when its cold out?

Axxe
11-25-2004, 11:24 PM
I have a 5 min drive to school, so my car doesn't even heat up fully. I just drive like grandma all the way.

Conan
11-26-2004, 02:37 PM
It's a home brewed mixture of Calcium Magnesium Acetate, dolomitic lime, and acetic acid this is powdered then boiled in water for around 10-15 mins to disolve the particles, they will remain suspended in the water. I add this to a bottle of winter windshield washer fluid (though even if it just stays in water, it still won't freeze into ice until around -40 degrees celcius). Works awesome and 1000x better than "liquid heat" deicers and such from Canadian Tire.

This is completely environmentally friendly and will not harm your cars paint as a brine salt + water concoction would, or glycol, or urea based liquid deicers would.

Only takes a few mins to make... and makes winter a hell of a lot easier to live with. A quick spray on my wipers if they're frozen to the glass. On my windows... even my driveway if it's iced over.

OK Im sold. Will I get this feeling IF I inadvertently mistaken it for gatorade? lol

Seriously, can you make some for me?

super_namer
12-07-2004, 02:57 PM

being a chemistry student, i see that the acetic acid and actetate would help with melting, but where did you get this stuff?

my mixture is isopropyl alcohol and methanol.

Justin e36
12-07-2004, 03:08 PM
being a chemistry student, i see that the acetic acid and actetate would help with melting, but where did you get this stuff?

my mixture is isopropyl alcohol and methanol.

I have access to a varity of different chemicals and compounds. I do a lot of basement chemistry actually.

prop alcohol and methanol would work too, but less effectively I'd assume no?.... any problems with it smudging the glass?.. Something I should look into for improving my formula.. thanks. :) Both easy to aquire too...

super_namer
12-07-2004, 03:17 PM
I have access to a varity of different chemicals and compounds. I do a lot of basement chemistry actually.

prop alcohol and methanol would work too, but less effectively I'd assume no?.... any problems with it smudging the glass?.. Something I should look into for improving my formula.. thanks. :) Both easy to aquire too...

what molarity is the acetic? i would guess that would hurt the finish of the paint... cuz it does burn my hand. LOL

Justin e36
12-07-2004, 03:54 PM
what molarity is the acetic? i would guess that would hurt the finish of the paint... cuz it does burn my hand. LOL

burns your hands? ... you sure you're talking about the same thing? Acetic acid is a moderate irritant to your skin. Similar to vinegar. I can't see it burning your hands, since acetic acid is used as a food preservative.

But I could be wrong.. you're the chem expert. I'm just a hobbyist. (my basement chemistry focuses more on things you would not learn in school) :)

How well does your solution work?

super_namer
12-07-2004, 04:02 PM
burns your hands? ... you sure you're talking about the same thing? Acetic acid is a moderate irritant to your skin. Similar to vinegar. I can't see it burning your hands, since acetic acid is used as a food preservative.

But I could be wrong.. you're the chem expert. I'm just a hobbyist. (my basement chemistry focuses more on things you would not learn in school) :)

How well does your solution work?

by no means am i a chem expert, just taking it for prerequisites for med school haha.
but well i guess in the lab we use more concentrated acetic acid... not really burn but ya, irritant. anyways, its not good for the skin lol.

its working well.
its not like most ppl would EXPECT it to magically be sprayed on and it disappear right away.
today in ottawa we had some thick freezing rain. i made another batch of ledd diluted solution and it worked quite well. spray on. wait about 30 seconds to a minute (about the time i need to spray the rest of the windows) come back and squeegee it off.

im gonna try to put it in my windshield washer tank too... hopefully that will work well.

and your solution? do you just spray it on and it magically disappears?

vinay
12-07-2004, 04:04 PM
I have Rain-X (yellow) washer fluid .. which is supposedly a de-icer ... thi smorning ()First snow for me) .. i had ice on all sides... but my front windshield was like liquidy and just slid off .. no scraping...

im wondering if rain-x washer fluid is a good de-icer treatment for the rest of us non-chemically-oriented people?

super_namer
12-07-2004, 04:06 PM
I have Rain-X (yellow) washer fluid .. which is supposedly a de-icer ... thi smorning ()First snow for me) .. i had ice on all sides... but my front windshield was like liquidy and just slid off .. no scraping...

im wondering if rain-x washer fluid is a good de-icer treatment for the rest of us non-chemically-oriented people?

read the ingredients... im sure some of them will be stuff me and justin are talking about...

how long did it take for it to melt the ice?

try it out... put it in a spray bottle and give 'er a go.

super_namer
12-07-2004, 04:13 PM

i dont think you would be able to mix them because i dont think acids and alcohols are miscible...

Justin e36
12-07-2004, 04:36 PM
by no means am i a chem expert, just taking it for prerequisites for med school haha.
but well i guess in the lab we use more concentrated acetic acid... not really burn but ya, irritant. anyways, its not good for the skin lol.

its working well.
its not like most ppl would EXPECT it to magically be sprayed on and it disappear right away.
today in ottawa we had some thick freezing rain. i made another batch of ledd diluted solution and it worked quite well. spray on. wait about 30 seconds to a minute (about the time i need to spray the rest of the windows) come back and squeegee it off.

im gonna try to put it in my windshield washer tank too... hopefully that will work well.

and your solution? do you just spray it on and it magically disappears?

Hmm.. your solution sounds far easier to make than mine. I'm going to give it a shot. What's the freezing point of this concoction? ... depending on how thick the ice it, may require multiple applications.. but not usually. When I park the car I usually spray all the windows and leave it on... rarely does any ice at all form on the windows after that. Takes around 30 secs max to work.. but works well.

super_namer
12-07-2004, 04:41 PM
Hmm.. your solution sounds far easier to make than mine. I'm going to give it a shot. What's the freezing point of this concoction? ... depending on how thick the ice it, may require multiple applications.. but not usually. When I park the car I usually spray all the windows and leave it on... rarely does any ice at all form on the windows after that. Takes around 30 secs max to work.. but works well.

i cant find literature values for it... but it should be around -40 to -60....

vinay
12-07-2004, 04:42 PM
read the ingredients... im sure some of them will be stuff me and justin are talking about...

how long did it take for it to melt the ice?

try it out... put it in a spray bottle and give 'er a go.

I had used it on the windows the night before before it rained.... then when it iced "over it" .. it wasnt icy.. just stayed liquidy ...

im going to try putting it in a spray bottle... i just hope washer fluid dripping on my doors isnt bad for the paint

Justin e36
12-07-2004, 04:46 PM
I had used it on the windows the night before before it rained.... then when it iced "over it" .. it wasnt icy.. just stayed liquidy ...

im going to try putting it in a spray bottle... i just hope washer fluid dripping on my doors isnt bad for the paint

exactly what I do when I park... I spray it on, and leave it. This can get expensive though, but should work just the same...

vinay
12-07-2004, 04:52 PM
not expensive for $3 washer fluid jugs !!!!!!!

1 jug will last a niec month probably

super_namer
12-07-2004, 05:00 PM
not expensive for $3 washer fluid jugs !!!!!!!

1 jug will last a niec month probably

maybe i will use that to mix with my solution instead of normal widsheild washer fluid...

thing is, for my solution, it costs about 4$ to make about 500mL. which = about one spray bottle... plus fluid so about 7$
plus 3 cars used daily... and with continuous shitty weather, i can see the bottle gone in about 2 weeks time. 7x3 = 21 x 2 = 42$ a month to satisfy my lazy ass... lol

Justin e36
12-07-2004, 05:02 PM
maybe i will use that to mix with my solution instead of normal widsheild washer fluid...

thing is, for my solution, it costs about 4$ to make about 500mL. which = about one spray bottle... plus fluid so about 7$
plus 3 cars used daily... and with continuous shitty weather, i can see the bottle gone in about 2 weeks time. 7x3 = 21 x 2 = 42$ a month to satisfy my lazy ass... lol

But that is $42 well spent. :)
It costs around $2.50 for me to make a bottle... around 500ml as well I think?.. Dunno, I use an old Febreze bottle... too lazy to buy a new one. Also confuses everyone when they see me "freshening" my windows. :)

super_namer
12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
But that is $42 well spent. :)
It costs around $2.50 for me to make a bottle... around 500ml as well I think?.. Dunno, I use an old Febreze bottle... too lazy to buy a new one. Also confuses everyone when they see me "freshening" my windows. :)

lol i use an old prosolve bottle and people are like why are you using carpet cleaner on your windows?!?!

i helped out my neighbour by spraying her windows and she freaked cuz she thought i was putting prosolve on there... :D

vinay
12-07-2004, 05:19 PM
this is the first time im driving RWD in winter.. seems like every time i hit snow my rear end slips a little.. makes me nervous!

super_namer
12-07-2004, 05:28 PM
this is the first time im driving RWD in winter.. seems like every time i hit snow my rear end slips a little.. makes me nervous!

do you have ASC and what kinda winter tires you got on there?

vinay
12-07-2004, 08:07 PM
yes, I have ASC and ABS .. got some Pirelli Winter tires on .. not sure which exact model.... they came with the car

super_namer
12-08-2004, 12:27 AM
sooo.... a little update for you guys...

we had a shitload of freezing rain here in ottawa....
so i have an exam tomorrow so i went out just now to get some timmy ho's coffee....
i go out to the suburban and its like a big 2 tonne block of ice....
about 1/8 to 1/4 thick layer of ice...

let me tell you, i used up the whoe bottle of solution... it did nothing... haha
i guess it has its limits.
damn.

took me a long time to get all that shit off just for a 2 min drive to get coffee...

markierant
12-08-2004, 07:38 AM
Its useless to idle your car cuz heat is proportional to power. When your engine idles it develops about 5-10 HP, thus not much heat, when you drive it it develops much more HP and heats up quicker. 30 sec. does the trick to get all the fluids circulated, and eazy going for about 5 min.