PDA

View Full Version : Green box

jeffrie
11-04-2004, 09:28 PM
What is the green modual (and what is it called) screwed into the dash on top of ECU also connected in line with the main ecu wiring harness from the engine bay for?

jeffrie
11-07-2004, 07:41 PM
Wow surprised even Jordan couldn't answer this one.....
Well did find out eventually with crcuit tests giving power to each connection ect....
For anyone who cares the Green box relays the idiot lights from the engine sensors for the in car display so they appear when something really bad happens.
Disapointed Jordan thought you knew everything, maybe now you do...

Jordan
11-07-2004, 08:48 PM
I don't check this forum every day, and when I do I certainly don't check every new post. Only ones that look interesting.

"Green box" is not something I would click.

Someone linked me here saying "some moron is talking trash"

In the future you may want to mention what make and model car you have.

We can assume is a BMW e30, but beyond that?

The "Green box" is a 318i/325e item. I don't waste my time working on those vehicles. Last I checked the only "Green box" I knew of in that immediate area is called a ICM (Idle Control Module) I hope you can guess what it does.

jeffrie
11-07-2004, 11:35 PM
All E30's have this modual, but as we all now know now(as in what it's for) we can deal with it. I was simply expecting your usual attack on me as oposed to a reply to help me. Checked your online status and assumed you ignored me.....
But in the end we now all know that it's what controls the idiot lights which I didn't know before, was hoping for an easy answer but had to do the hard work in the end.
Sharing the wealth
No Trash intended..........

BS87
11-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Pretty sure its not that. I think it's either an Idle control Unit or something simmilar.

jeffrie
11-08-2004, 12:57 AM
Pretty sure its not that. I think it's either an Idle control Unit or something simmilar.

It's vacume acuated not electronic

Jordan
11-08-2004, 02:22 AM
Jeffrie. You are dumb, plain and simple no flaming... just dumb. My car does not have a "Green box" or a ICM, I would bet your life on it.

If you think you know better then me, then you are wrong.

I'm willing to bet I am the only person on this forum with such extensive knowledge of the e30 wiring system. I removed everything from my car for the respray and rewired it completely. I know what is and isn't in my car, and I know what everything does.

1/2 of the wires
http://www.r3vlimited.com/Media/e30theproject/Pictures/January2003/011003-005.jpg

The other half
http://www.r3vlimited.com/Media/e30theproject/Pictures/January2003/011003-007.jpg

The "Green box" you speak of is a ICM, the cars it is found in are listed on the part # label. It does not work off of vacuum. Its electronic.

http://www.bavauto.com/assets/imglib500/13411286133.jpg

Is there anything else you would like set straight?

jeffrie
11-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Thank you Jordan That is it, mine is the actual Bmw part itself that doesn't say what it's for just the bmw emblem and part # 1 286 133.9.
Now I don't have to wase all that time researching it.
Your great!