PDA

View Full Version : Kumho Escta 712's

Gamite
11-04-2004, 09:21 AM
Well, I think the most of you have seen my endless threads about these tires. Honestly, they're probably not as bad as some of you think.

Would I ever get them again? Probably not.

I've had the rear tires split on the sidwall not once, but TWICE! They're a pretty good tire for the money, but if I had the same choice again, I would for a little more out for ES100's or even try those new Fuzions.

I think these tires are more geared towards those lighter imports, from my general impression, the sidewalls don't seem to be able to take the weight from my 4000 LB car. Off the bat, the tires work great, great wet traction. But after a few months, the have noise issues.

In conclusion:
Great tires brand new.
Long term, not so great.

Gamite's rating: 6/10

BRAD 82
11-04-2004, 02:45 PM
They are absolute Cr@p!

never had such bad tyres in my life. Had two sets and they haven't lasted long than 3 months. wear is incredibly FAST!

Suggestion: Never buy these tyres unless you like getting ripped off!

However they are great for the FIRST day you drive on them...

330DTM
11-04-2004, 05:45 PM
I'd like to counter some of the things mentioned in this thread.

I own a set too on my Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon and keep in mind Volvo's aren't light weight to begin with. I always check my tire pressures every other week and they're set at 34F/32R or sometimes 38F/40R if I auto-x (keep in mind this is a FWD car). I've auto-x'ed with these tires approximately 4-5 times.

I've had these tires for two summer seasons and haven't had a single problem at all. So I've put approximately just under 15000kms in two seasons.

Let me add that I don't always baby these tires and that I've taking it up for several highspeed runs and cornering abuse. Now that my treadwear on the fronts is about 50% or less by eyeballing it, I do notice some lack of grip, especially in the wet too; but then again my car has massive body roll so the inside tire tends to spin/slip easily in the wet.

My point is, I know these tires are in a different league from the T1-S, S03's, AVS Sport, P-Zero, but they still provide very good handling in the wet and dry and better treadwear for daily and weekend events or sprited driving. Oh yeah, and even at the treadwear I'm at, I have yet to notice any increase in tire noise and if I do, it's very little!

So if you're on a budget looking for good treadwear and some performance, there's no point in spending money on the other tires I listed above (for example) cause you'll get much better grip at the expense of shorter treadlife. I'm pretty sure other tires in this category including the Yoko's ES100 will do the job.

Plus majority (or some) of the members on the board rarely track their cars. They may drive it hard on the streets, but never as hard as you can at the track. So what's the point of having that extra bit of grip? Remember, tires do give you the grip, but it's still dependent on the driver's skill on properly using it. E.g. Randy whopping people's asses in auto-x on a stock E30 325is with non-high performance tires.

In conclusion, the Kumho 712s are a good set of performance tires for daily driving and some light weekend track events. I will see how much longer these tires will last next season. On the other hand, if you have extra dough or just hate Kumhos to death then by all means go ahead and spend it the upper end tires.

Gamite
11-04-2004, 07:11 PM
when your tires wear down more, u'll notice the noise, I can even hear it in my "noisy" car.

MP328
11-04-2004, 10:17 PM
i have to say after two sets of them they are very decent. now after i drove a few months on these continental all season i put on now they seem even better. mind u these continentals (only in the back) i bought used, but they still had around 1/2 to 3/4 thread left. but right away from the beginning i noticed the grip is not even close to the kuhmo's. i couldnt take the known corners at the same speed as before.
now these cont's are down to nuttin in the back like the kuhmo's before and i'm scared as hell of days like today. it seriously feels like driving on ice. the kuhmos even when they were all bald they still were better then these ****en things. definetelly puttin the winters on this weekend.

so kuhmo are pretty good i'd say. 7/10 from me. for the price they are awesome.

next year i am gonna try some other brand just to c how they compare.

Miguel
11-04-2004, 11:46 PM
I had no problem with Kumho I'Zen winter tires and Im picking up a set of MX's.
I know nothing about the 712's though.

TheMadChigga
11-06-2004, 02:41 AM
had 'em, hate 'em, I can't get any 60 ft time better than 2.3, the noise was rediculous, the characteristic is rather crappy and unstable.

WhadUpp
11-06-2004, 02:51 AM
Ive had 712's and IMO they suck ass, even on a light import. Changed to Toyo T1-S and a world of difference. First off, 712's are loud on the highway and dont absorb road irregularities very well. Theyre pretty good in the rain but so what , the T1-S are way better in that category, absorb bumps way better, way more grip cant compare.

I hated 712's when I had them. Also their tire profile makes it look skinnier than other makes for the same size.

btw, T1-S are very quiet on highway

SickFinga
11-06-2004, 04:49 AM
Had them and also hated them.

BTW, Toyo T1S is now out of production, Toyo T1R is comming this spring as a replacement.

WhadUpp
11-06-2004, 11:11 AM
thanks goto check out the new R's

sicilianace
10-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Gamite is bang on, I've had mine for 4 years now, and boy this year they were loud. Time for a change......for next season...

Jordan
10-30-2005, 07:25 PM
They are absolute Cr@p!never had such bad tyres in my life.

and anyone that disagrees with that has never had truely GOOD tires.

The only people that think 712's are a good tire are ignorant.

Ant118
10-30-2005, 08:29 PM
^^ I agree with that, took the M3 with those 712's and they grip like CRAP, there terriable. Time to go get a new set of Michlien PS2's, Toyo T1-R, or Toyo RA1 (for only track use)

paul christians
10-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Had them and also hated them.

BTW, Toyo T1S is now out of production, Toyo T1R is comming this spring as a replacement.
They are already here dude...... *smoke* TOYO all the way for T1R for the street and RA1 for the track.... :cool:

Ant118
10-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Yea paul, gonna go pick them up soon

Jordan
10-30-2005, 10:19 PM
I should mention I have had the chance to drive several 2002 racecars with Toyo RA1's on them. On the street of course. Our "test loop" is several on/off ramps, and stretches of highway.

Those tires are spectacular.

T1R's will likely be my next street tire for my e30.

Mystikal
10-31-2005, 12:57 AM
My current rims came with 225/45/16 712's on two of them, and Eagle F1's on the other two.

I must say, the 712's aren't nearly as bad as you guys seem to think; in fact they are superior to the F1's in my mind. The slight sidewall flop and howling I get from the front end (F1's placement) are completely missing from the rear. This also is not just a basic principal of physics, my car with such staggered spring rates will push the rear tires just as hard as the fronts with proper driving technique (when I've had 4 of the same tire on, the rear end usually feels a little nervous; I have stiffer front springs to install). The 712's are very confident, and have very solid sidewalls. Scandinavian-flick induced drifting can be recovered with very little of the violent kickback you get with a softer tire, I was shocked the first few times I did it.

Anyways, don't just listen to me. Here's an excellent recent review Tirerack conducted: click (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bfg_gforce_sport.jsp)

Keep in mind I mounted these tires completely sure that I would not be happy with them. The complete opposite is true.

I'll still be tossing these tires for Hankook R-S2s next year (the best or nothing when it comes to tires to me, nothing matters more on a car), but I thought I'd just stick up for them a bit. Really quite good tires for the money, ignoring possible quality lapse.

paul christians
10-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Yea paul, gonna go pick them up soon
I will say yes....WHY....hehe.... *smoke* :cool:

Ant118
10-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Cause im gonna pick up a set as well for the M3 and 325, but RA1's going on the M3

paul christians
10-31-2005, 05:35 PM
^^^^cool dude.....YOUR CRAZY!!!!hehehehehe

PedroBMW
11-01-2005, 11:29 PM
man guys I just bought a set of the kumhos for my rear tires 3 days ago cause my dunlops were completly bald and i am broke, i noticed the car wasnt the craziest gripper but havent been able to truly push it yet, after readin your comments im bummed i didnt try and push the dunlops a little longer to save some cash. But I guess when the belts show, its over lol.
So ......anybody wanna buy a three day old set of kumho 255/45/17 lol,,
Seeya

SickFinga
11-02-2005, 05:24 AM
They are already here dude...... *smoke* TOYO all the way for T1R for the street and RA1 for the track.... :cool:

I posted that a year ago.
And I know that, I got T1Rs on my car.

amazing grip

paul christians
11-02-2005, 07:09 PM
I posted that a year ago.
And I know that, I got T1Rs on my car.

amazing grip
hehehehe......hahaha...And did you get CHIP FOOSE wheel too??? :D :D

Ant118
11-02-2005, 10:24 PM
hey foose is AMAZING

paul christians
11-02-2005, 11:34 PM
hey foose is AMAZING
I know, and have mat him as well cool guy...

SickFinga
11-05-2005, 10:14 PM
his wheels are ugly though ;)

thinair
11-06-2005, 06:45 PM
The 712 is a good budget tire, but not really a performance tire.

I'm currently driving my RA1's on the street now, I love them, even cold they grip better then my aging T1S's. I'm sure in the middle of the summer they'd wear out pretty quick though for street use though. Hopefully I'll have a new set of T1R's in the spring.