PDA

View Full Version : check engine light....

stratoayu
10-31-2004, 01:44 PM
k sooo my check engine light came on, so i did the test thing, and it came up code 1211, which is my DME Control Unit .... sooo anyone know how i can fix it :| it came on after i put in a AC Schnitzer chip....

Mystikal
10-31-2004, 06:09 PM
E-Bay chip?

Have you tried putting the stock one back in?

stratoayu
11-01-2004, 02:06 AM
no, im going to try that tomorow, i hope it works, i got it to turn off when i disconnected the batt, but then it came back on :(

MarkD
11-01-2004, 08:41 AM
k sooo my check engine light came on, so i did the test thing, and it came up code 1211, which is my DME Control Unit .... sooo anyone know how i can fix it :| it came on after i put in a AC Schnitzer chip....

AC Schnitzer chip? :confused: They don't even make chips. *no-no*
Let me guess where you bought that....

lightsandsirens
11-01-2004, 09:30 AM
I had the "AC" chip too, but I didn't get any codes :huh?:
Blasted ebay clones!!!

stratoayu
11-01-2004, 02:04 PM
awww, man i got hosed hahaha, well w/e it helped my horse out alot... raised the rev limiter too... just this stupid thing is screwing with my check engine light... meh i geuss thats wat i get for buying a 60 dollar chip with the ac schnizter label literally stickered on *thmbsdwn* *mumble*

T.Dot_E30
11-01-2004, 08:42 PM
awww, man i got hosed hahaha, well w/e it helped my horse out alot... raised the rev limiter too... just this stupid thing is screwing with my check engine light... meh i geuss thats wat i get for buying a 60 dollar chip with the ac schnizter label literally stickered on *thmbsdwn* *mumble*

Take it out, it could cause damage to ur engine, the light is telling you something, like the car is running too rich or lean....or could be something else.

Helped your Horse out alot? :huh?:

stratoayu
11-01-2004, 09:27 PM
horse power... ya know... it sounds stupid but it actually really did help... but im going to take it out, because yea, i dont wanna **** up my ecu, i would cry

Axxe
11-02-2004, 02:29 AM
If it only ****ed up your ECU you should be glad.

stratoayu
11-02-2004, 02:44 AM
true enough...

Justin e36
11-02-2004, 06:16 AM
heard a lot of ppls use those fake chips w/o any problems... they just clone an existing performance chip out there, but have to sell it under another name.

Axxe
11-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Is it worth the risk Justin? IF it's giving him a check engine light, there's a good chance some parameters aren't liked by the ECU or engine.

MarkD
11-02-2004, 09:40 AM
heard a lot of ppls use those fake chips w/o any problems... they just clone an existing performance chip out there, but have to sell it under another name.

Are you sure? I may seem be biased since I develop and sell chips but I'll tell you that I've analysed a few chips people bought from "Proformance" and others from them labelled "AC Snitzer" and they were clones of Autothority chips. (the copyright was still in the chip) But, someone had advanced the timing a great deal past what would be safe.

There have been quite a few cases of people needing a motor rebuild after using these chips. (plus others that said they had drivability problems, rough running, pinging etc.)

MarkD

stratoayu
11-03-2004, 02:02 PM
yea the guy that i bought it from is going to be a refund, he was saying it had something to do with theres a difference between the us and euro ecu's and aparently he sent me one for a us ecu when mines a euro ecu.... anywyas, im going to go swap the original chip in right now
ill let u guys know hwo it goes, thx for the help and opinions :)

stratoayu
11-03-2004, 08:20 PM
alright, its all out and original is back in, light is off, car is alot slower.. but w/e.. thx again

T.Dot_E30
11-03-2004, 09:42 PM
if you want a nice chip to do what that one did, but safer n wont blow up ur engine and maybe better check out

MarkD's chip

MarkD
11-03-2004, 09:49 PM
yea the guy that i bought it from is going to be a refund, he was saying it had something to do with theres a difference between the us and euro ecu's and aparently he sent me one for a us ecu when mines a euro ecu.... anywyas, im going to go swap the original chip in right now
ill let u guys know hwo it goes, thx for the help and opinions :)

Exactly what ECU is in your car, and is it a euro? I'm talking to someone in the USA who says he has the CEL on in his 540 with "AC chip". Seems like a trend....

Did you by it from some guy in California? If so, it's best to get your money refunded. Remember, pay now ofr a proper chip or pay a bunch more later.

And there are other options for a chip than one of mine. Just get a safe one.

MarkD

ara_yaz
11-05-2004, 02:45 PM
I bought a Dinan chip about 3 years ago, and (knock on wood), I haven't had any probelms yet. Actually, my car used to idle erratically at times, and has since stopped. So, sorry to disappoint you, but no problems with my Dinan chip.
p.s. I bought it at Beach Auto on Queen St. in Toronto...just don't expect much after-sales service from them...they wouldn't even call me back to answer a simple question.

MarkD
11-05-2004, 04:36 PM
I bought a Dinan chip about 3 years ago, and (knock on wood), I haven't had any probelms yet. Actually, my car used to idle erratically at times, and has since stopped. So, sorry to disappoint you, but no problems with my Dinan chip.
p.s. I bought it at Beach Auto on Queen St. in Toronto...just don't expect much after-sales service from them...they wouldn't even call me back to answer a simple question.

Disappoint who? Real Dinan chips are OK, but you can't be sure what you are getting when you buy a Fleabay clone.

Beach Auto closed over a year ago so yes, you won't get any return calls from them.

everlast
11-05-2004, 05:26 PM
Hey MarkD.. is there a chip for an '87 eta engine that DOESN'T require higher octane gas? That'd be sweet.

stratoayu
11-05-2004, 08:11 PM
nah, i bought it from a guy in kitchener i believe... real nice guy though, sent my refund like 2 hours after, and now im off to mail him his chip back

Mystikal
11-05-2004, 09:21 PM

Really? Beach Auto had a great reputation for customer service, I grew up in that place. :D

ara_yaz
11-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Interesting...wonder why they shut down?

ara_yaz
11-06-2004, 03:14 PM
Disappoint who? Real Dinan chips are OK, but you can't be sure what you are getting when you buy a Fleabay clone.

Beach Auto closed over a year ago so yes, you won't get any return calls from them.

Cool, I was trying to reach them when they were operational...3 years ago!

MarkD
11-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Interesting...wonder why they shut down?

I think the main reason is that they lost their dealership status a few years back and then the customer base slowly shrank. Then Arnold got rid of his son-inlaw Don (he was the service manager at Beach who now runs Autotrend) many customers moved over to AutoTrend. Soon after, they closed down.

MarkD

ara_yaz
11-06-2004, 06:11 PM
yeah, when I was there, they were a Dinan authorized dealer, not a BMW dealer. What's really funny though is that my car was orginally purchased at Beach Auto in May of '90. *th-up*

MarkD
11-06-2004, 07:15 PM
yeah, when I was there, they were a Dinan authorized dealer, not a BMW dealer. What's really funny though is that my car was orginally purchased at Beach Auto in May of '90. *th-up*

Why is that really funny? :confused:
I mentioned that they used to be a BMW dealership....

everlast
11-07-2004, 02:19 AM
No, like seriously though. Is there a chip that doesn't require more than 87 octane gas?

ara_yaz
11-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Why is that really funny? :confused:
I mentioned that they used to be a BMW dealership....

think FIGURATIVELY!

ara_yaz
11-07-2004, 12:06 PM
Is there currently anything in the old Beach Auto location?

MarkD
11-07-2004, 02:34 PM
Is there currently anything in the old Beach Auto location?

Yes, I think it's a new condo.

Mystikal
11-07-2004, 09:46 PM
No, like seriously though. Is there a chip that doesn't require more than 87 octane gas?

You know, just about all the gains from a chip are the exploitation of the greater capabilities of the higher octane fuel. So no.

Mystikal
11-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Yes, I think it's a new condo.

Wow, last time I was down there it was a Kia dealer.

ara_yaz
11-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Hooooooooooooooooooooollllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy yyyyyy!

"Me, being the man that I am, took her to my condo, pronto" - Biggie smalls.

BMW_M52_M20
11-09-2004, 08:38 PM
My dad bought his BMW 2002 in 1971 from that dealership.......A german guy owned it named Slim.......

MarkD
11-09-2004, 09:26 PM
My dad bought his BMW 2002 in 1971 from that dealership.......A german guy owned it named Slim.......

His real name was Werner, Slim was his nickname. He passed away around 1990 or so. He co-owned Beach with his brother Arnold.

Some of the Beach mechanics from the late 70's are now at other dealerships or run their own places.

Bob White: Maranello
Mike Colangelo: Lakeside Motors
Sandy MacNie: MacNie's Motorworks (originally a partner in Lakeside)
Don Katsumi: Autotrend
Steve Gailits : Bavarian Motors

I've seen some other mechanics from Beach at Toronto BMW.