PDA

View Full Version : Toyo T1-S impressions

thinair
10-24-2004, 10:56 PM
I got a set of 235/40/17 Toyo T1-S's installed yesterday. For the first 30km they sucked obviously, but then they slowly and slowly started to scrub in, started to suprise me.

First off (as stupid as it may sound), two hours after installing them I was at Cayuga doing 1/4 mile runs. They gripped awesome there. Later at night I was just doing some braking test from various speeds and I could hold 1Gminimum, which I though was pretty impressive. Even from 200-0km, it was at least 1 continuous forward G until I stopped.

In the rain these tires also rule. Then again they are at full tread, but I know of more then one guy who uses the T1-S's as their rain track tires.

At the auto-x earlier today, every right hand corner was at 1G, and every left hand corner was between .9-1G (I guess I'm not as confident turning left, I blame the A-pillar). Here is a G graph taken from my G-Tech, notice the lateral g's:

Justin e36
10-25-2004, 12:12 AM
good info.. thanks! I'm getting TI-S's for next summer... keep us posted on how it is when the tread wears... and tread life.

KIRASIR
10-25-2004, 04:02 AM
Damn my secret is out. :D

Look like I'll have to drive harder next summer. ;)

SL

I got a set of 235/40/17 Toyo T1-S's installed yesterday. For the first 30km they sucked obviously, but then they slowly and slowly started to scrub in, started to suprise me.

First off (as stupid as it may sound), two hours after installing them I was at Cayuga doing 1/4 mile runs. They gripped awesome there. Later at night I was just doing some braking test from various speeds and I could hold 1Gminimum, which I though was pretty impressive. Even from 200-0km, it was at least 1 continuous forward G until I stopped.

In the rain these tires also rule. Then again they are at full tread, but I know of more then one guy who uses the T1-S's as their rain track tires.

At the auto-x earlier today, every right hand corner was at 1G, and every left hand corner was between .9-1G (I guess I'm not as confident turning left, I blame the A-pillar). Here is a G graph taken from my G-Tech, notice the lateral g's:

Paul540/m3
10-25-2004, 10:13 AM
You summed it up pretty nicely

I love them

330POWER
10-25-2004, 11:16 AM
they are amazing tires...but read wear is brutal! ull be goin through sets like no tommorow

qimis
10-25-2004, 11:16 AM
i'm happy with it too, especially i'm stretching the hell out of them. the first 20 km seems the ride is really really smooth. :)

Miguel
10-25-2004, 11:48 AM
I am dying to get a set... especially with the exchange rate right now its almost CRIMINAL to not buy them from that Bimmerforums vendor.

M Blur
10-25-2004, 12:09 PM
:idea:

The new T1-Rs should prove to be even better with better wear rate and outside rain channels to improve direction without reduction in water dissipation.

Can't wait.. found Michelin Pilots Sports very skittish in the wet.

qimis
10-25-2004, 12:30 PM
I am dying to get a set... especially with the exchange rate right now its almost CRIMINAL to not buy them from that Bimmerforums vendor.

www.edgeracing.com has better prices than that njzprettyboy or something on bimmerforums.

app
10-25-2004, 04:14 PM
I had these tires before, they wear out FAST. But admittedly, I could drive with confidence in the rain like no other tire.

Bill Gates
10-25-2004, 04:46 PM
i just switches to these tires this season. excellent in rain and dry conditions. I haven't noticed any wear since i seldom push my car, and when i do, they hook very well. overtime, i'm sure i'll be able to give you a better review.

thinair
10-25-2004, 06:24 PM
www.edgeracing.com has better prices than that njzprettyboy or something on bimmerforums.

Nope, not cheaper, I just checked. I paid $600US, shipping including. I ended up paying $910CDN, after duties and taxes.

paul christians
10-26-2004, 12:10 AM
I am using them to for 4 years now and I will be getting a nither set next summer!!!!!!!

just325iS
10-26-2004, 03:53 PM
I have used two sets on my bimmer and one set on my audi. I've switched to Kumho MX (dry) on the bimmer and Yoko Parada spec 2 on my audi. The T1-S is nice in the rain but I don't drive my car in the rain anymore. I find the Kumho to have better dry traction and it can handle side load better. I just got the Yoko, but so far, it seems pretty good. I'm probably going to run the Yoko on my bimmer next year (225/35/19's). As good as these tires are, they don't even come close to the RA-1's for track use.

thinair
10-26-2004, 06:07 PM
As good as these tires are, they don't even come close to the RA-1's for track use.

That is what everyone tells me, luckily I just bought another set of wheels with RA-1's on them....I can't wait to try them at the auto-x's next season. *smoke*

The guys who are always winning the auto-x class that I'm in (3 -series, 6-cyl, modified) are on RA-1's. Hopefully I'll be one of them :P

just325iS
10-27-2004, 10:00 PM
make sure they are at 42 psi when hot. You only do auto-x? Have you been to shannoville? I find it more fun at the track. 200km/hr down the back straight, under hard, hard braking to make the right hand turn, really fun stuff.

thinair
10-27-2004, 10:19 PM
make sure they are at 42 psi when hot. You only do auto-x? Have you been to shannoville? I find it more fun at the track. 200km/hr down the back straight, under hard, hard braking to make the right hand turn, really fun stuff.

I haven't been to Shannonville yet, hopefully next year. The only track I have driven on is Mosport, and I have been a passenger on the Mosport DDT. I don't think the T1-S's will see the track, except for maybe a driving school. I guess it would make more sense to take street tires to a driving school then r-compounds.

330DTM
10-28-2004, 12:54 AM

I've been to Shannonville, many times to ride along and to spectate. I don't have a car to drive on the track which explains why I've spectated only, but I have a relative idea of the driving lines there. From my personal perspective, Shannonville doesn't seem to be that challenging once you learn the lines or after going there several times. The track is pretty much flat (no elevation changes) unlike Mosport and there are no blind corners at all either. I'm not putting Shannonville down, it's a fun track to take your car around and learn, but I personally like the challenge of Mosport after going there this year to do some filming for the Porsche Club Race and the AMLS weekend.

just325iS
10-28-2004, 03:17 AM
Shannonville is fun and you can push hard without to much worry. A lot of open fields for mistakes. A lot of cars get totaled at Mosport. I just want to have some fun without too much worried. My last track day, a supercharged S2000 losted in front of me, I had to steer into the weeds.

Mystikal
10-28-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey Nelson, I was just reading up on the upcoming T1-R's, they look promising. The same basic tread pattern, just stronger shoulders (and hopefully sidewall). A few message boards in Europe have very positive reviews. And most importantly for me, the very rare size I need for my car (think wide) that the T1-S comes in is officially in production on the T1-R line. :)

thinair
10-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Hey Nelson, I was just reading up on the upcoming T1-R's, they look promising. The same basic tread pattern, just stronger shoulders (and hopefully sidewall). A few message boards in Europe have very positive reviews. And most importantly for me, the very rare size I need for my car (think wide) that the T1-S comes in is officially in production on the T1-R line. :)

This is why everyone is selling the T1-S's so cheap, the distributors are tryingto clear them out. I'm happy:)

alexm520
10-30-2004, 02:23 PM
That is what everyone tells me, luckily I just bought another set of wheels with RA-1's on them....I can't wait to try them at the auto-x's next season. *smoke*
The guys who are always winning the auto-x class that I'm in (3 -series, 6-cyl, modified) are on RA-1's. Hopefully I'll be one of them :P

Guys,

Toyo T1S is a great tire (dry or wet) on par with Bridgestone S03. It has been a favourite with the BMW club (as a non-Rcompound tire) for several years because it offered the same performance of their competitors but cheaper. As the word got out (of course), their prices climbed in 2002 and 2003 again. $900 (canadian) for a set of 17" is an excellent price.

By the way, Toyo recommends a negative camber (at least "-2") for their RA1 tire. Which means you will need camber plates.
The general consensus among BMW Club members (US or Canada) is only to switch from street tires to R-Compounds when you are an intermediate level ("B") group member (I am talking about driving on big tracks like Mosport, Watkins Glen etc.) because as a beginner student (C group) there are a lot of things you can learn as a driver even on a good street tire like (T1S, S03 or Pilot Sport).

AlexM520

thinair
10-30-2004, 03:54 PM
By the way, Toyo recommends a negative camber (at least "-2") for their RA1 tire. Which means you will need camber plates.
The general consensus among BMW Club members (US or Canada) is only to switch from street tires to R-Compounds when you are an intermediate level ("B") group member (I am talking about driving on big tracks like Mosport, Watkins Glen etc.) because as a beginner student (C group) there are a lot of things you can learn as a driver even on a good street tire like (T1S, S03 or Pilot Sport).

AlexM520

Well, I already have front camber plates, and happen to be running -2 all around. So I guess that'll work.

In regards to my next driving school, I'll just bring the two sets of wheels in case. My last driving school my instructor recommended me to move up to advanced, but that is up to the organizers to decide.